Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alberta Gov't Lease of Dauphin From BC

54 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

They can’t organize and fight a fire in the daylight how are they going to do it in the dark.

Who runs the radios at midnight now and comes to the rescue when you get a chip light oh just wait till 10am when everyone shows up to work 

does the field of dreams turn into just that machines on mins sitting at night while they try to staff the night ops teams 

You are probably close.

Just NO mins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

They can’t organize and fight a fire in the daylight how are they going to do it in the dark.

Who runs the radios at midnight now and comes to the rescue when you get a chip light oh just wait till 10am when everyone shows up to work 

does the field of dreams turn into just that machines on mins sitting at night while they try to staff the night ops teams 

Sounds like more OT for the crews on standby.... Most likely motivator for the whole thing

• Like 2

On 3/5/2024 at 10:27 AM, UggaDugga said:

Sounds like more OT for the crews on standby.... Most likely motivator for the whole thing

My question is....

Who is going to go get the air crew when they have a chip light in the middle of the night and cannot get back to a road to land ..... and worst yet God forbid an accident. 

I wonder who at the work safe office thought this is a good idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

My question is....

Who is going to go get the air crew when they have a chip light in the middle of the night and cannot get back to a road to land ..... and worst yet God forbid an accident. 

I wonder who at the work safe office thought this is a good idea.

It’ll definitely be a struggle, you need three aca’s ready to go at any one time for this type of operation.  I’m actually surprised they’d go for this type, anything on retractable gear operating IFR needs a team of type endorsed guys (drivers and technicians) with ground power (electric and hydraulic).  A Blackhawk would be more suitable for field ops of this nature, it’s tried and true remotely globally.  Even a 76 would be more suitable in Canada.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CM119 said:

It’ll definitely be a struggle, you need three aca’s ready to go at any one time for this type of operation.  I’m actually surprised they’d go for this type, anything on retractable gear operating IFR needs a team of type endorsed guys (drivers and technicians) with ground power (electric and hydraulic).  A Blackhawk would be more suitable for field ops of this nature, it’s tried and true remotely globally.  Even a 76 would be more suitable in Canada.

I always wondered how long help would take in the barren lands?  No support, just the camp cook with a hand held radio,  flight plan open till dark......Clapped out jet ranger, middle of now where -35 or even summer and extra middle of now where.  Don't recall any company having IFR aircraft on standby for rescue.   Maybe i just worked for crappy companies and clients.  Or maybe it's just an acceptable risk.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robottxt said:

I always wondered how long help would take in the barren lands?  No support, just the camp cook with a hand held radio,  flight plan open till dark......Clapped out jet ranger, middle of now where -35 or even summer and extra middle of now where.  Don't recall any company having IFR aircraft on standby for rescue.   Maybe i just worked for crappy companies and clients.  Or maybe it's just an acceptable risk.....

Well.....

How about the middle of nowhere with B47G2...... no hand held radio..... that is alone.

So it is not your company it is a standard from way back...... sorry.

Must say I do like the tracking systems we have today.

Some great points are being raised here... I see the gov't (alta) officials as saying hey, we did a trial last year and it went fine... sorry for your inconvenience North Shore Rescue... would the vendor not clearly state what logistics would be needed and would the client not have to make a decision to accept them?? you do NOT undertake this kind of operation without looking at all the scenarios.... 😲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twinstar_ca said:

Some great points are being raised here... I see the gov't (alta) officials as saying hey, we did a trial last year and it went fine... sorry for your inconvenience North Shore Rescue... would the vendor not clearly state what logistics would be needed and would the client not have to make a decision to accept them?? you do NOT undertake this kind of operation without looking at all the scenarios.... 😲

I just looked this operator up, they have two N2 and three N3’s registered to them.  I didn’t realize they had that many, they should be well equipped for the job.