Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alberta Gov't Lease of Dauphin From BC

Lots being made in the news about the new 5 year lease from Talon for fire fighting with NVG's. Anyone know where the machine will be based or will it just transit as needed. I know Talon got another machine last year so hope it won't affect NSR any more...

Hey, all the best to anybody trying to make a mark or improve things and make a few bucks  doing it.  

But sure like the government to suddenly jump in with both feet to solve a problem which is easily solvable by starting VFR bucketing operations at 05:30.   It’s legal light in CYOJ until 01:30 to.  

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Zazu said:

Hey, all the best to anybody trying to make a mark or improve things and make a few bucks  doing it.  

But sure like the government to suddenly jump in with both feet to solve a problem which is easily solvable by starting VFR bucketing operations at 05:30.   It’s legal light in CYOJ until 01:30 to.  

Oh now you are just using common sense. 

Shame on you for questioning the government. 

Well.....at least this new idea will cost more.

Roflmao 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

that mentality has been going on forever. Early in my career I noticed the lack of urgency in anything forestry did. Its literally a prerequisite for any forestry management area to be the most inefficient and wasteful department ever.  Heaven help us if firefighters come to your home and wait till the fire is fully developed before opening a hydrant. Theres nothing left of your house, and the neighbors houses at that point. Might as well just put up a sprinkler at the next intersection and hope for the rain clouds to come so you dont lose the whole community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oh ye of little faith... my minister of forestry and parks has said we'll plan for the worst but hope for the best... after all, we got some snow this weekend... of course, it will be above zero for the rest of march... i always did my emergency planning based on hope... ooops, was that my outloud sarcastic typing?? 😒

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

that mentality has been going on forever. Early in my career I noticed the lack of urgency in anything forestry did. Its literally a prerequisite for any forestry management area to be the most inefficient and wasteful department ever.  Heaven help us if firefighters come to your home and wait till the fire is fully developed before opening a hydrant. Theres nothing left of your house, and the neighbors houses at that point. Might as well just put up a sprinkler at the next intersection and hope for the rain clouds to come so you dont lose the whole community.

Yeah, but we can save the basement... 😣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twinstar_ca said:

2 hours ago, twinstar_ca said:

True..... check out Lytton.

so not arguing the points made earlier, but with goggles in the dark, you can see things you can't in the daylight. Embers and burning under the top layer of turf. So there are benefits to fighting fire with goggles in the dark. Now having 1 Dauphin with goggles seems a bit too little...

28 minutes ago, Winnie said:

so not arguing the points made earlier, but with goggles in the dark, you can see things you can't in the daylight. Embers and burning under the top layer of turf. So there are benefits to fighting fire with goggles in the dark. Now having 1 Dauphin with goggles seems a bit too little...

Totally agree on the benefit, Winnie... just again reeks of if we get 1, people will quit bugging us and we can say hey, we got 1!! 😒

• Like 1

They can’t organize and fight a fire in the daylight how are they going to do it in the dark.

Who runs the radios at midnight now and comes to the rescue when you get a chip light oh just wait till 10am when everyone shows up to work 

does the field of dreams turn into just that machines on mins sitting at night while they try to staff the night ops teams 

• Like 2