Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

206 M/r Blade

wrenchpuller

a week or so ago me and another guy were pushing a 206 in the hanger late at night after a ground run and almost hit the hanger door frame with the blade, we were going slow but i was thinking what i would do if we hit the blade head on at slow speed, i would inspect the blade where it hit first, then move onto the head inspecting the grips mast etc. i dont have much time on bells and havnt checked in the manuals yet but i was just thinking about it so i thaught i'd post on here.....what would you do?

You wouldn't want to read the Euro Manuals then, the wording, which may be lost in translation, makes it seem like hitting the trailing edge, without power, such as a hanger door, is worse than hitting a tree at power with the leading edge.

Anyways, the Bell manuals are vague at best and they leave the door open for your interpretation. Myself, bumping a hanger door at slow speed requires a good look, but not necessarily an overhaul or major work.

I have seen the picture of (helijet??) the S76 which had a door incident and the blade was broken in half so there is proof that hanger rash has many variables.

a week or so ago me and another guy were pushing a 206 in the hanger late at night after a ground run and almost hit the hanger door frame with the blade, we were going slow but i was thinking what i would do if we hit the blade head on at slow speed, i would inspect the blade where it hit first, then move onto the head inspecting the grips mast etc. i dont have much time on bells and havnt checked in the manuals yet but i was just thinking about it so i thaught i'd post on here.....what would you do?

You will not find anything the MM to tell you what to do.

COMMON SENCE has to prevail.

Depending at what speed you hit headon. The shock will proceed from the blade along to m/r head and grip, the mast being attached to the main xmsn will move the mast back and the xmsn fwd, travel limited by the spike on the lower part of the xmsn.

Use your own observations and if uncertain, call Bell Helicopter, that is what they are there for.

Cheers, Don

PS: For your own info all manufacturers have tech reps and are usually people that have been in the field before.

Don't take anything on this site as expert advice with respect to airworthiness of an aircraft.

"PS: For your own info all manufacturers have tech reps and are usually people that have been in the field before.

Don't take anything on this site as expert advice with respect to airworthiness of an aircraft."

Just who the heck are we then? We're from the field with experience on type, just like those glorified tech reps.

Granted we don't have a fancy Tech Rep badge to flash around. But many of us might just have more experience to boot.

Common sense also has huge ties to experience, can't have one without the other.

I think we should just shut this whole site down, nobodies opinion matters anymore. We can't offer advice on maintenance related issues, nor can we offer our version of events that have transpired. What's the point of all this then? Is this just a glorified networking site to make connections to your future employment needs?

Gentlemen:

Take it easy. Blacmac has a point in that most people on here are anonymous. For any young guys taking advice off this or any other site, yes, do take the information but have it checked out. If it was a 206 blade that got hit, you wouldn't use the inspection criteria from an Astar. Always verify the information. If you were responsible for the blade being hit and you are not sure what to do, find someone qualified to assist you. That blade is usually carrying precious cargo and if something happens to it, all of our great egos are not worth a ****.

When you have made as many mistakes as I have, then you can start to worry. If I am going to give a young guy my advice over the internet, I will attach my real name.

Regards

carholme

to say nothing of what jim "the hammer" shapiro lawyer type guys will do to you in the witness chair when you admit that you got your advice from the internet rather than the man from the manufactuer who has the liability insurance to cover his remarks!! i think don was right on the money... take the advice from here, but get the opinion from the tech rep!!! B)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 204t/r that was turning full speed hit the m/r on my 206 that was parked...had to do a sudden stoppage inspection on the entire drivetrain on the 206...the 204 on the other hand was a total mess....the one blade on the 206 that got hit was scape....t/r on 204 separated from a/c....next to follow was the t/r gearbox that came off...went up into m/r blades...wrote both of them off...drove the gearbox down into t/r driveshaft...right throught the cover and shaft...back up into the m/r which then sent the gearbox bouncing down the ramp and right through a cowling on a learjet....was quit comical...no one was hurt...lots of money envolved :up:

DGP

There's another event that put a smile on my face. The 204 driver landed on a banana peel and lost control.The stinger on the 204 also stuck a crease in the old brown ford truck.Both pilot and engineer had to go and put on new Depends.Seems to me there was6 or 7 204's and 2 212's all lined up in a row.

Take care Dougie......O.T