Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Why Do We Spend So Many Days Away?

Volition, good point and I don't think that anyone should bash anyone or tell them to step down and let a lowtimer take over just because they want to work a little less than the next guy. Of course a lowtimer at the beginning is going to be willing and should be willing to work as much as they can to get themselves established and start to build their career. After flying for a few years, it isn't so much of a trade off anymore. The 2 things most of us want after getting experince is time off and money. Not necessarily in that order. But once again each to their own. We all have different priorities and these change at any given time in ones life. When one is footloose and fancy free who really cares what you are working but once you start to establish a life with someone and then eventually a family, that is a whole different story.

As far as trying to find a woman who is able to tolerate a crazy schedule where her man is gone all the time, there really aren't that many out there. It does take someone who is independent, confident and doesn't feel like she needs a man around her 24/7. I have to give all those woman that have made it work after many years of dealing with missing husbands a big round of applause. It can't be easy but if you love someone, trust them and can stand living at least half of your time by yourself then I guess you should marry a pilot.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a real shame that our employers have to come up with every lame excuse in the book! Crew changes will cost too much- we will have to hire more people-our salaries would have to be cut. Jet B, I've heard all these lines more than once. The way I see it is that if you did get that 2 and 2 shift you would probably be more inclined to stay with the company and thus would save them money in the end. Training new guys is a whole lot more expensive than a few extra crew changes in a year.

Can a company owner please enlighten me on this subject. Maybe I don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground.

I have been on a 2 and2 shift for the last 10 months now a let me tell you, life is good. The wife is happy and the kids can actually count on me being home when I say. Why would anyone want to work more than 2 weeks at a time?

VX

It's a real shame that our employers have to come up with every lame excuse in the book! Crew changes will cost too much- we will have to hire more people-our salaries would have to be cut. Jet B, I've heard all these lines more than once. The way I see it is that if you did get that 2 and 2 shift you would probably be more inclined to stay with the company and thus would save them money in the end. Training new guys is a whole lot more expensive than a few extra crew changes in a year.

Can a company owner please enlighten me on this subject. Maybe I don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground.

I have been on a 2 and2 shift for the last 10 months now a let me tell you, life is good. The wife is happy and the kids can actually count on me being home when I say. Why would anyone want to work more than 2 weeks at a time?

VX

Shadap. :blink:

I too have chased the elusive 2 and 2. With persistance I have found it, however not too many companies wish to go this route but with experienced pilots becoming harder to find they are and will be forced to conform to these ways. As VX has stated, I myself do not understand the reason behind the owners findings of crew changes and costs. Family is the most important thing, but it should not take a second seat to this industry we all enjoy so much. My advise is just stand your ground with a potential employer or even a current employer and if they value you as a professional and want to keep you around for awhile they will come around. Old habits die hard but they do die.

Thank you all for your responses ..... In my opinion days worked away from home and days worked at home can not be compared .... I don't have a family but i grew up with a father who worked 6 weeks away and 2 weeks home and let me tell you I don't really remember him ever being there ...... i know how it was for me as a kid and i know what i don't want for my kids if i have any .... As for the stepping aside and letting a low timer who has a "real" outlook on life do the job .... GIVE ME A BREAK ..... i was a low timer once and i would have done anything to get going too .... and i did......does that make the situation right ?... And i know there are tours out there alot worse than my 28 and 14 and i should be counting my blessings .....Just my humble opinion but i think we can have and should have little more balance.

I agree with F8 "WORK TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO WORK" :up:

Edited by hookweight78

Well here we are again. I read with intrest all the wining and crying about the long rotations, I also read the aguments from the want to be management types onwhy one should work away in a tent until they have to medi-vac you out (if you pay for it to keep costs down). I regret to inform all that this has been going on for many decades. Back in the day the helicopter only worked 2 to 3 months a year. A pilot would leave home base in June and return in early September, done for the year 300 hr everyone was happy. The work today has changed the contracts run from one to another we now have winter heli-siesmic as well as heli-skiing there are more pipe lines every year that need helicopter service. I notice that some opperators seem to beable to offer a good rotation while others shy away from them with the reasons why it can't be done. I honestly beleive that it will never change until the crews make it change. The young single crews out there today that are willing to do all will be the same crews that will complaining about the rotations in 20 years, trust me on this I see it every day

Wow!!!! Some of you have a totaly unrealistic view of this industry! "I'm not home enough......... I don't make enough money...........blah blah blah!!!!!

You can't have your cake and eat it too people! If your employer tells you it would cost too much to implement a 2 and 2 rotation, maybe you should consider the true cost of doing so before whining that it's not a valid argument. 3 extra rotations a year per pilot, times 25 pilots at an average $2000 per rotation= $100000 a year. Did you ever think that he may have a valid point?

And what about the other half of the pilots that want to work 30 and 12 so they can make more cash? How is the ops manager supposed to balance each employee's rotation preference?

Also, don't forget that with that 2 and 2 rotation, you'll spend less time in the helicopter meaning less opportunity to make money. It only stands to reason that less time spent at work means less money no??? Are you willing to make less money in exchange for more time off????

If you don't like the bush life, then get a base job, there are plenty out there. You get to make between $60 to $80Ks a year and you're home every night. Oh but wait, you'd have to move to a remote location..... darn!

It's your choice to work away from your family, it's also your choice not to. You have no one but yourselves to blame for your situations.

P.S. Doesn't Alpine do 2 & 2? Why don't you send them a resume??!

Valid point or not, if your employer tells you that paying you that extra $10 a flight hour over 800hrs in a year is going to cost him an extra $8000.00, should one just bow down and say " I am sorry, I shouldn't be so greedy". It’s all relevant; they are constantly trying to get more for there machines and we as business men/women are always trying to get a more money for our services provided. Its only smart business. If you want to make the same as you were making ten years ago, so be it. If I can work less and be home with family and get paid more when I am working, I don't think that’s being unrealistic, I would call it being smarter than the dumb *** working double the time for the same money. Business is always evolving and people are constantly charging more for their services, its called inflation. Employers are always trying to get better pilots/engineers for less money, its good business. When you go into buy a new car do you pay the sticker price? No. If you’re smart enough you try and deal and get a few thousand off. Same goes with us; we deal the best deal we can get to benefit us and our family.

jetbox

you are either an owner or a young pilot that can't get enough flying. $2000 a crew change??? I don't think all my crew changes cost $2000 last year. Lets see, you drive from Edmonton to Fort Nelson or wherever. Gas probably costs maybe 200 bucks at most. The truck, not worth 200 bucks, I fail to see all these high cost crew changes! Now it is possible that you go to Vancouver Island for a few tours a year but even then Westjet tickets are only 300 bucks or so! Don't let your employer fool you and if you are an employer don't be a fool.

VX