Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Training

HeliFly

As for what helicopter you train on, I agree with Cole. 100 hours is 100 hours. That's what most of the operators I've spoken to have told me as well.

unless the cp is looking for time on type?? insurance companies always have their hands in the works with rates on 0 time on type pilots. I think the r44 has the highest demand for 100 hour pilots, the r22 production line has been pulled back and once the r66 is out I think they will stop the r22 as they cannot keep up with orders now and that won't get any better with 3 types coming off the line. but this is only what I was told by someone.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not a fan of the r22 but it would be nice if all the companies that have b206's sitting on the ground would pick up a student and let the b206 go for COST. just wishing but lets say 100 hours b206 for 65k. anyone please correct me if I am totally in left field?? I don't think that 65k is out of reach of most students and that the companies that are sooo short are just going to have to bite the bullet and start paying/not making a profit to get newbies trained!! And if they have to put in a training bond if it would make them feel better or better yet a contract- lets go!! you could even change the numbers out in r44 at 50k?? lets hear from our owners on the site what would make you happy???? there are people here on the site that are more than happy to commit to you - just need a hand and a salary above min. wage and Im sure they will be with you for a long time. look at me Im 31 and been working for the same company for 17 years, just because they gave me a start!! thats over half my life please help me not make it all my life..... that I would do for you..... :punk:

A lot of people like Phil Croucher's Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies. I got it recently and read a few chapters and was somewhat disappointed. It might be because I'm used to reading well structured and defined academic textbooks

ROTFLMAO - Sorry Phil, that just struck me dam funny.

How ya keeping anyway, you had enough of the heat yet. We have a few openings here on the Rock...heat is not a problem. :rolleyes:

That's why there's humour in it! :)

That's one of the thing's I enjoyed about your book Phil, the humour. I'm a guy that enjoys making people laugh, and laughing in general (it's suppose to be healthy) so keep it up! :)

Theres a few different schools of thought it seems. The R22 doesnt agree with my frame haha.

One of 2 scenarios is going to pan out for me

The first 100 will all be on the S300, then a 15 hour R44 endorsement will follow (might have to be at a different school)

OR The first 90 will be in the 300, then 10 in the 206, then mabey 10 in the R44

This is dependant on a few different sources and ill know by the begining of next week.

On the other side of things, I think you only get out of school, or work for that matter, what you put in. This last winter I met a few different guys that trained all 100 hours on the BH206. For them, it was a sound option (in fact one had quite a sweet deal)

They both had a thorough knowledge of FGU and Phil's book COVER TO COVER befor even setting foot in the helicopter and both said the were better off by it. Personally I'm reading FGU for the third time right now cover to cover and am still picking up on things I missed. When I go next month to do a fam flight and lay down the deposite im going to pick up all the books I can (mainly Phil's)

Cole

Thanks helilog - the heli book is now over 800 pages, and although some might think this is overkill, I have not written it for people to throw it away after their exams! There has been a lot of input from instructors who have been there and done it and made many suggestions, including Transport, and one day I'll get you guys a beer!

Phil