Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hot Re-fuel

The reason why I chose to hot refuel was as I was working out of the airfield that day doing a sampling project, and to be honest I couldnt be bothered hanging around all day waiting for them to refuel me. And for the sake of shutting down for 5 mins to refuel the 500, didnt really seem worth it. And as we had drums there I decided that was the best option.

I took all the precautions with frictions and refueling techniques , also keep an eye out for any kids running around, so i couldnt see the issue. I do it all the time back home in NZ where it is legal to do in turbines.

I fully agree with Skids Up, no need to leave the heli if done correctly. PLus you can get the geo's to push over the drum to the heli! ;-)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hughesy,

While I agree, I wouldn't do it at an airport. Too many unknowns: adults, kids, dogs, and others that always seem to gravitate towards a running helicopter.

By the time you get your pump out, your cool down should be done. Shut it down and save the hassle of writing a report to someone about the whole thing.

But in the bush, not a problem.

Good place to hot refuel?

Minus 30 or colder, No person or airport for 200 miles, digging for Jet B. Free up about 4 or more drums just in time for another company a/c going the other way coming in to fill up too. Boy was he glad for the help. And the engine wasn't getting shut down!

cheers

post-1820-1187009196_thumb.jpg

Leaving a helicopter running with no one at the controls is just plain wrong.

Well! Now we can rewrite the whole industry, as we have been given such clear and worthwhile advice... :down:

John Moore, give it a rest. Your comments provide no useful information.

Years ago, on a long leg to Yellowknife, I dropped in on a sandbar, and with the engine running added a couple jerry-cans of fuel to the machine... uneventful.

Upon landing and refueling for my next leg to Lupin, I discovered on startup that the ignitor/exciter chose that very moment to fail... not a bad place to be... considering where I had just come from.

My fuel caches to the high arctic with polar shelf would have been uncomfortable had the problem returned, I therefore decided to hot refuel every stop afterwards.

Mr. Moore, I respectfully do not agree with your comments.

Regards, 212dude

John Moore

I welcome and encourage the day that you make a positive post in regards to anything that is shared around here.

We can all get along.

Murdoch

I'd also like to ad that I appreciate seeing differences of opinion and different cases of refueling being discussed here constructively. I'm learning things from you guys/ladies and I thank you for it.

Leaving a helicopter running with no one at the controls is just plain wrong.

Thanks for the great advice! :down:

First things first, Double check youre frictions are on, (in a 500) Lock the pedals and pull the trim circut breaker and be carful of the rotors... all in all it should be uneventful. But then again things do seem to happen in this industry!

Minus 30, middle of the arctic 300 miles from anyone, nothing but the Hughes hotel to sleep in if she wont start... Im hot refuelling! But then again at an airfield... Thats another story!

I think that everybody has there own time when they will hot refuel and depends what type of machine you have, an astar, no need to hot refuel in my opinion, its takes 30 second cool down, 206B, 2-3 minutes depends on what your company wants for cool down, I think a 206 would be my choice of hot refueling if the closest place to sleep was 300 miles away other than the machine, an astar will start on one ignitor, same for a 212, not sure about any other machines though, as I do not have any time in them. All preference in my opinion and of course safety and of course what you have in your OPS manual, but who will tell if your 300 miles from anywhere resembling a person.

:)