Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Why Do You Do Clearing Turns?

It's still a good quote, because most accidents happens to folks who thought they were doing something perfectly sensible at the time.

Personally no offense. Not necessarily an example of what did happen, but rather an example as to what can happen when you do not properly clear a turn. That simple.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally no offense. Not necessarily an example of what did happen, but rather an example as to what can happen when you do not properly clear a turn. That simple.

It's also an example of what can happen when you come within a few hundred feet of a running helicopter with whom you have not made contact.

I think that the post has accomplished its' intended purpose. The fact that it's being discussed and it is a safety issue is what it's all about. Anyone who reads this thread will most certainly think about a clearing turn prior to their next take-off. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it was the cause of the accident. Prevention is the goal.

It's also an example of what can happen when you come within a few hundred feet of a running helicopter with whom you have not made contact.

Good point, I can see a Murphy's law scenario here .....

You get in and start up.

At the same time someone radios they are inbound but you never hear it.

They approach from an angle you don't see.

They think you are aware and staying at idle until they land.

You lift off.

Even a clearing turn may be too late.

I don't fly rotor but I spend a lot of time with you guys doing it.

Sometimes all the small events conspire against us.

I flew fixed wing ( and skydived for 10 yrs ) ......

like you I've seen my share of small events.

I think, more importantly than the clearing turn, is the absence of any mention of a radio call made by either aircraft. Granted, we don't know radio calls weren't made, but it would stand to reason that if they were made, chances are this accident would have been avoided.

Let's all keep in mind here that we, as helicopter pilots, often work remotely and figure we are the only aircraft around for miles. Subsequently, I find that I do not regularly make blind radio calls if I believe I am the only aircraft around... probably something I should be doing.

Additionally, working in remote areas, especially if you are new to the area, it is difficult to describe where you are lifting off from (i.e. some lease in the middle of nowhere) without being too vague.

Just a reminder to everyone that we shouldn't get complacent about radio comms even when we work remotely.

Working within a few hundred feet of another helicopter? Havent had the luxury of that much room in quite a while. (Radio call) Lifting out of 6-3 mini stage westbound with sling load, make sure your not over tourge, temp the A/C and twist the **** out of your head coming out of the hole to make sure someone else wont fly into you, all the while they are talking to jug hounds and not listening to the radio call you just made. We all dont have the huge luxury of a tower or MF to work with, forget about shift change when the FNG (which we all are for a day or so) comes on line, and has no idea where that or any other staging is. Yes, do your clearing turn with 8 bags on, 150 line the do it every 80 meters for 8 plus hours a day. Good Luck. Well ****, the dead pilot must not of done his clearing turn, thats what I am reading. Sh*t, he probably got hit by someone doing IFR and thinks the road is f-n clear for him and was reading the paper. PLEASE

Oh yea ,, I appologize in advance NOT

After that last post I want to be a better poster. Some of the posts on this and so many other threads are all about the poster.

While I sometimes have a laugh at how pilots can make everything a big show, that wasn't funny.

Hey, Broke, what was your point? How good you are? How hard done by you are? I didn't quite get the message.

If you are saying that because things move so fast you can't do them safely in your amazing, only super pilots allowed workplace, then maybe you should go to a forum where someone won't call you on it.

Sober up, IFR guys aren't to blame for whatever you're mad about.

Take some time off, master the english language, it'll mellow you out.