Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Layoffs And More?

N1

New here. Hello.

Looks grim in Canada, got called by buds with lots of hours looking for work. Stock markets all over the world, crashing.

Those comments about contractors I disagree with. It's the full time guys that drive down the wages. Companies play the game, we let it happen. If I was kicked out the door in slow times in the place of some full time 500hr pilot , you can bet your bacon and eggs the operator will not get a second of my time in the future. Fukkem :punk:

Loyalty is loyalty. Put crap in get crap back. :mellow:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest plumber

You are going to be hard pressed to find to much loyalty in this industry. (been my experience anyway) As far as your 500 hr guy theory when things are slow you might not find to many high timers painting the hanger walls, floors and washing the boss's car for min wage. Its simple economics on the companies part.

It's the full time guys that drive down the wages. Companies play the game, we let it happen.

Not quite sure what is meant by this, but then, I am just a slow, full time guy...

Don't have a lot to compare with, but one of our contract guys made around 45,000 this year and for the same amount of flying, I doubled that easily. Guess I really drove the rates down on that one... :unsure:

Guest who's yer daddy

An economic slow down is the perfect way to "cull" the herd. Those that work hard and are professionals will always have a job, even in a depression. The cotton still has to be picked, the potatoes peeled!

Apparently it was a good year to retire. Like many of you on the forum I have seen the indusrty along with the economy go up and go down. Value was then the difference between finding work as an operator or keeping employed as an employee and value is still the difference that will keep one in or out of work. Can you provide value to the operation your part of ? If you can answer yes you'll stay employed or find enough work to keep the lights on. Value does not equal the lowest price or wage... it never has. Think of it in terms of your personal values and find out whats important to your customer or employers values. If you are making their work & lifes simpler better or more efficient you are providing value. If you are prepared, informed, and ready to tackle new challenges you are providing value. If you are part of the solution and not the problem well you get the idea.

If you can align yourself with your employers or customers needs and not just fill a seat because they need it filled, you'll always find some work.

Oh yeah, most of you already know this S##T, it was directed at those who don't.

Back to my rum bottle and beautiful wife...actually the wife first then the rum, she really is beautiful without the rum.

Cheers.

A guy who is making 15000-20000 a month is not making that because he or she adds no value.

The operator trims expenses where they are hitting hardest.

They expose themselves to more risk this way.Loyalty is non existant when it comes to dinaro. Glad I didn't get into the business to get rich, sure is a fun job though.

FYI : heard Apline is hiring ,but am hearing rumours tha middle mgt has got some issues.

This is value...

Can you provide value to the operation your part of ? If you can answer yes you'll stay employed or find enough work to keep the lights on. Value does not equal the lowest price or wage... it never has. Think of it in terms of your personal values and find out whats important to your customer or employers values. If you are making their work & lifes simpler better or more efficient you are providing value. If you are prepared, informed, and ready to tackle new challenges you are providing value. If you are part of the solution and not the problem well you get the idea.

This is need...

A guy who is making 15000-20000 a month is not making that because he or she adds no value.

They need you to fill the seat. And because you think you are worth it, they pay it.

Filling a seat for a few months at a big price, is not a value to the company, but a cost of doing business. The value comes from the ones who find and get the work, and show to the customer why they are willing to "do what it takes" (customer service, A/C serviceability, maintenance, high priced help, etc.,) to get and keep them happy.

Lots of high cost contract people have cost us dearly by complaining about daily rates (after they hear someone else is getting more), hours, (when they hear the next guy is flying more), and where they have to be, (when they think that someone else has better digs). There is no value in that.

Not everyone is like that I suppose, but we've had our share, and it's hard to see where the value is.

Everyone has something to offer, but he ones that are there for the long term, with an interest in seeing the company succeed, (because then "I" do too), 'probably' offers more value from a bosses point of view. As long as they are doing something beside taking up space, of course...

Fire away...

Skids Up

Nothing can replace experience, not only from a safety perspective but also in terms of how the person handles the client. An experienced contractor with say 7000hrs has seen a few senarios already. This means that operations doesn't have to babysit. Especially with a difficult client and we all know that the customer is always right. :huh:

This whole business of full time vs contract, the only diff is that one person gets paid by invoice the other is being paid and getting raped by Revenue Canada.

To be a contractor a pilot/engineer should have all the stuff, endorsements,ratings etc. The cost savings to the operator should be worth it IMHO.

Sorry to speak in general terms, I have some contract pilot horror stories I could tell too.

Skids Up

Nothing can replace experience, not only from a safety perspective but also in terms of how the person handles the client. An experienced contractor with say 7000hrs has seen a few senarios already. This means that operations doesn't have to babysit. Especially with a difficult client and we all know that the customer is always right. :huh:

This whole business of full time vs contract, the only diff is that one person gets paid by invoice the other is being paid and getting raped by Revenue Canada.

To be a contractor a pilot/engineer should have all the stuff, endorsements,ratings etc. The cost savings to the operator should be worth it IMHO.

Sorry to speak in general terms, I have some contract pilot horror stories I could tell too.

I don't mind reding more....

throw the best one...