Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helmets Restricted?

Helijet's position regarding pilots and helmets is as follows:

Helmets on the scheduled air service - Not allowed

Of course they can't legally stop a pilot from wearing a piece of safety equipment, but it's become an accepted way of things here.

Ryan:

Can you share with us as to the reason they would form this policy??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinions on the topic of nomex? It is a current topic of conversation where I'm at. It has been raised that they may become a manditory uniform at the company I work for in Hong Kong.

The discussion raised a few issues. Most of our work is longlining with Lamas. In the summer, temperatures reach 34+ with 80-90% humidity. If you were required to wear nomex suits, would it cause an increase in fatigue (heat) and negate the benefit of the suit? Not sure what the statistics say regarding post crash fire. I pesonally don't know of anyone that has been involved in crash with a subsequent fire. Nomex suits are currently provided by the company if requested which is great. Just looking for opinions about making nomex (specifically) a requirement. Helmets are also provided by the company :) Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ryan:

Can you share with us as to the reason they would form this policy??

It's a corporate image thing I believe. The sched service is an airline, and it's thought that if passengers saw airline pilots wearing helmets it could cause some distress. Some disagree though, I get a 5-point harness but they just get a lapbelt and that doesn't cause any concern among passengers. Others have said that we could put a curtain between us and them so they wouldn't have to stare at the back of our Kevlar-clad heads for 35 minutes.

Personally I don't agree with the policy, it should be a pilot's choice. However I do have a huge amount of respect for what these old S76's can take as far as punishment, and it helps put me as ease. No one forced me into it, if I didn't think it was safe on the sched service I wouldn't be here.

Pardon my ignorance of twin engine/Cat A etc ops, but isn't the S61/76 etc quite a bit safer than the single engine machines us VFR chaps zip about in?

Dick

Much safer. Statistics you know. Such as 90% of all pilots believe they are safer pilots than 90% of all pilots!

Unless you don't believe the published statistics. I would like to see the report that TSB did that shows heli-logging the second safest type of flying, second only to commercial airlines. Unfortunately only the insurance companies got to see it and between them they have suppressed that statistic so we can only go by the statistics they do allow us to see.

I would like to see the report that TSB did that shows heli-logging the second safest type of flying, second only to commercial airlines. Unfortunately only the insurance companies got to see it and between them they have suppressed that statistic so we can only go by the statistics they do allow us to see.

helmet = the cojo's best friend. my gentex didn't stay shiny long right seat in a 214. reminds me I need a new visor...

Not Allowing helmets sounds like the stupidest thing I have ever heard. all of our drivers are required to wear them from the lights right to the heavys. no exceptions

coming to work new? not enough money? bit short between payrolls? the owner will even buy you a helmet and take small deductions of your check to ensure you have the NECESSARY safety equipment to maximize any chance you surviving.

As for the Helijet/Airline thinking maybe they need to install a bulltproof door on the cockpit just like the airlines if they want to use that excuse then you would not need to worry about customers seeing this scary safety device perched on top of your shoulders.

DSL

Some companies (the one I work for) Have figured out how good it looks to insurance companies and customers to actually supply pilots with helmets and nomex flight suits.

Also beneficial for obtaining w.c.b. rebates.

I just call it putting your safety money where your mouth is. Kudos to them!

Now if we could just do something about those colours.... :lol:

Max

Wow what a great thread. A few years back I bought my brother a Gentex SPH-4 for his flight training with Chinook. Best $1400.00 I ever spent knowing he was that much safer. He has not been working lately so I take it to work. If a medevac comes in I will wear it. I did some research years ago and made a presentation to my employer about the need to purchase helmets as we do about 1 - 2 flights per week. I made my case and a month later had purchased 2 for the service. Most Medics wear them, and as always a few do not. However at least they have a choice. I always grab one before a flight. I look at it this way, if the unfortunate happens then at least two of us have the opportunity to drag others out of the jetbox.

My research showed that the majority of survivable crashes where a pilot did not survive, was attributed to head injuries. One pilot whom died always wore his until on day stuffed it under the rear seat of a 212 and it went down, he dragged himself out and died at the scene, from a head injury. He would have survived if he had the helmet on. I used this example during my presentation to get helmets and actually teared up thinking about the waste.

My two cents

Never mandatory.

Always allowed.

I think the pilot need to be free to chose, because it's not a safety equipment but a protection, and in cases like hard landings, accidents, etc...

I never use one, that obstructs me, it's heavy, hot, restricted (my qualities of flight are reduced with helmets) .

But I respect the choice of each pilots.

It's the same of investing in safety courses like US"Flight Safety", good companies use to give that for their crews, and I know some pilots who pays (a lot) for some sims hours there, why not? can be better than helmets in some operations....

Fly better to avoid accident in some cases, but when hovering with a longline over the forest...if you like helmets, nomex suits, gloves, space boots, neck guards..., you need to be allowed to wear that.