Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Man Survives Plunge Over Niagara Falls, Helicopter Assists In Rescue

was never ever talking about twinstars especially F1 F2's....get an N model and maybe you'll be in the ballpark.

I think twins should be used in alot of firefighting situations, not all, but some.

Love how you guys always try and take my view on one specific topic and apply it to everything. I have been talking about river rescues in the gorge at niagara falls.....not about firefighting.

When we get to fly on the moon, we better have twins up there...thought I'd toss that one in there before some of you tards get around to it.

Sorry Sidewall,

I thought we were talking about hovering above the deep water picking something up that took a little time to do- in the bad zone.

As for the Twinstar, I don't know one from another, just the ones I have worked along side.

Smartass (B.M.)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

confidence does go a long way, but who's gonna put a fully loaded 212 down in the gorge???

we're talking pilot, couple rescuers and some proper gear for winching/hositing/slinging a patient and rescuer to safety. I think even an old clapped out twinstar could pull that off most times.

as for the c-box....compared to complete engine failures from all causes...how many c-boxes have given up the goat and failed completely? Usually they chew themselves up internally, but still function for the short term don't they?

I don't check the forum very often because most of the stuff posted on there is crap...but today I went online to check into some info on an old pilot friend of mine who passed away recently and I found the link for the Niagara Rescue...

I have to say first and foremost I'm not a Media Monger but I can say how dis-appointed I was to find your comments on the rescue...its clear to me that you've got some sort of "must be the expert" complex and enjoy brow beating everyone with your opinion... I was so disgusted with your comments that after about page 3 I had to walk away and take a couple of minutes to let my anger quiet down...

Its truly a shame that the efforts of some people are completely dismissed as "Amateur" by others (namely you) who weren't there, don't have the training, knowledge, or know how to pull off what we did...How dare you even speak about what we did...it is people like you on these forums that turn a useful tool such as a forum into a display of ignorance....and people like you that make people like me not waste my time reading your thoughtless, unsubstantiated crap....

I couldn't care less if your training as a firefighter teaches you anything, because you obviously will be right on whatever topic you talk about and everyone else will be wrong... and God bless you for your opinion...but Sir let me tell you about the countless hours of the Niagara Parks Police, Niagara Falls Fire Dept, Niagara Regional Police, Erie County Sheriff's Dept, Niagara Helicopters, Ontario Provincial Police, Coroner's Office, Forensics and the list goes on....that all come to Niagara Helicopters to train with us to go into that gorge and rescue/recover people. You have no idea of the amount of money Ruedi Hafen spends on the 407 for the training that takes place or the credentials of the officers of the Niagara Parks Police that head up our Rescue/Training many times per year. It dumb founds me Sir that out of all the people that said "Good Job" to Niagara Helicopters, you seem to be the expert on everything we did wrong or what could have gone wrong. Sir, after reading your entries in this forum, I can't believe that you even get out of bed in the morning for fear of everything that "could" go wrong in a day.

Sir, I can tell you that for you to sit there and tell me what sort of aircraft was best for the job, and what was used was wrong, and how your trained to leave people behind because your going to save your own *** bla bla bla....you should just sit there, shut your mouth and say THANK-YOU to the people that do get out of bed everyday and take that chance to save another human beings life without the 20/20 hind sight that your using to judge us......

In short Sir....I couldn't care if your a Pilot or Engineer or both, or about what machine or how many engines "YOU" think we should have, that day when the call came in, my Pilot...Ruedi Hafen took one of our Bell 407's, myself and Shawn Black of the Niagara Parks Police and headed out to do the job we trained to do...and not once did I hear a "Nay-Sayer" stand on the sideline and heckle us about what machine we were using and how many engines we had...booohooo booohooo....but I can tell you Sir if I was in the water and I had a choice of having someone to rescue me, I'd take Ruedi Hafen and his crew any day of the week...because apparently you'd still be at the base waiting for a twin engine aircraft of some sort....

In this industry we constantly struggle to include ourselves into the Professional Category, both as Pilots and Engineers, we carry enough responsibility on our shoulders here as any Doctor or Lawyer does that call themselves a Professional, and the last thing we should hear in these circumstances is another "Expert" condemning us for the actions we took to save another human....it is my opinion that you have shown the poorest choice of professionalism you could show....

And in closing I say...How Dare You...judge us...next time keep your mouth shut....because the last time I looked you weren't beside me in the back of that helicopter looking down into the eyes of another human floating in the water... and when the call came in we went and did the job, and we didn't have the luxury of the hind sight you do............

Respectfully,

Ken Irvine

Lead Engineer

Fellow Rescuer with Shawn Black (Niagara Regional Police)

Niagara Helicopters Ltd

My Gaaaad!!!

I was waiting for that one since to long ago. Bravo!

I wouldn't mind throwing a double quick Jab to the guy,cause he is the perfect fruit cake to receive it, but after reading this, i'm not shure which one i prefer. These words are so well put together, that , if it was intended to me, i would thing about suicide. :P

Guest SidewallPuncture
I don't check the forum very often because most of the stuff posted on there is crap...but today I went online to check into some info on an old pilot friend of mine who passed away recently and I found the link for the Niagara Rescue...

I have to say first and foremost I'm not a Media Monger but I can say how dis-appointed I was to find your comments on the rescue...its clear to me that you've got some sort of "must be the expert" complex and enjoy brow beating everyone with your opinion... I was so disgusted with your comments that after about page 3 I had to walk away and take a couple of minutes to let my anger quiet down...

Its truly a shame that the efforts of some people are completely dismissed as "Amateur" by others (namely you) who weren't there, don't have the training, knowledge, or know how to pull off what we did...How dare you even speak about what we did...it is people like you on these forums that turn a useful tool such as a forum into a display of ignorance....and people like you that make people like me not waste my time reading your thoughtless, unsubstantiated crap....

I couldn't care less if your training as a firefighter teaches you anything, because you obviously will be right on whatever topic you talk about and everyone else will be wrong... and God bless you for your opinion...but Sir let me tell you about the countless hours of the Niagara Parks Police, Niagara Falls Fire Dept, Niagara Regional Police, Erie County Sheriff's Dept, Niagara Helicopters, Ontario Provincial Police, Coroner's Office, Forensics and the list goes on....that all come to Niagara Helicopters to train with us to go into that gorge and rescue/recover people. You have no idea of the amount of money Ruedi Hafen spends on the 407 for the training that takes place or the credentials of the officers of the Niagara Parks Police that head up our Rescue/Training many times per year. It dumb founds me Sir that out of all the people that said "Good Job" to Niagara Helicopters, you seem to be the expert on everything we did wrong or what could have gone wrong. Sir, after reading your entries in this forum, I can't believe that you even get out of bed in the morning for fear of everything that "could" go wrong in a day.

Sir, I can tell you that for you to sit there and tell me what sort of aircraft was best for the job, and what was used was wrong, and how your trained to leave people behind because your going to save your own *** bla bla bla....you should just sit there, shut your mouth and say THANK-YOU to the people that do get out of bed everyday and take that chance to save another human beings life without the 20/20 hind sight that your using to judge us......

In short Sir....I couldn't care if your a Pilot or Engineer or both, or about what machine or how many engines "YOU" think we should have, that day when the call came in, my Pilot...Ruedi Hafen took one of our Bell 407's, myself and Shawn Black of the Niagara Parks Police and headed out to do the job we trained to do...and not once did I hear a "Nay-Sayer" stand on the sideline and heckle us about what machine we were using and how many engines we had...booohooo booohooo....but I can tell you Sir if I was in the water and I had a choice of having someone to rescue me, I'd take Ruedi Hafen and his crew any day of the week...because apparently you'd still be at the base waiting for a twin engine aircraft of some sort....

In this industry we constantly struggle to include ourselves into the Professional Category, both as Pilots and Engineers, we carry enough responsibility on our shoulders here as any Doctor or Lawyer does that call themselves a Professional, and the last thing we should hear in these circumstances is another "Expert" condemning us for the actions we took to save another human....it is my opinion that you have shown the poorest choice of professionalism you could show....

And in closing I say...How Dare You...judge us...next time keep your mouth shut....because the last time I looked you weren't beside me in the back of that helicopter looking down into the eyes of another human floating in the water... and when the call came in we went and did the job, and we didn't have the luxury of the hind sight you do............

Respectfully,

Ken Irvine

Lead Engineer

Fellow Rescuer with Shawn Black (Niagara Regional Police)

Niagara Helicopters Ltd

sounds like Ken is taking it personal....so, did I ever say anything bad about the guys doing the rescue Ken? or did I just nitpick at the choice of aircraft and then have to defend myself continually for that decision? If you read past page three I'm sure you;d have read me defending Reudi's capabilties as a qualified pilot.

how about you get thrown under the bright lights and try my shoes for awhile. I've been thrown to a pack of wild dogs, seems this group here can usually only stand up as a group....once one dog bites, they all do....most don't have the balls to do so on ther own, but I actually don't mind sticking to my guns and going toe to toe.

I still stand by the wrong aircraft for the wrong job, regardless o whether or not this time, times before it or times after it go without a hitch. one day it won't. I hope Ken, you're not in the back seat swallowing buffalos toilet water as the upside down wreck bounces thru the rapids.

Guest SidewallPuncture

for sh*ts and giggles Ken, i went back and re-read every post and your credibilty is gone completely out the window...by page three you were so disgusted you had to walk away? by page three nothing was even said of the sort...get a life Ken...you outright tried to create a sensational post out of some emotional turbulant time in your life. Call up your social worker and get the help you need after this obvious traumatic experience in your life.

Maybe it'll come out that you have this deep seeded fear of drowning in a single engine 407 crash and are in denial.

I could pick away at every personal jab you took at me, but no point, I think Wiggles hit the nail on the head. How many times was this passed around the shop and proof read before the submit button was pushed? the combined effort, although entertaining was a waste of your time on my deaf ears. thanks for the effort though with the little story, and just to show you I am a good guy, thanks for your effort during the resue as well.

Ok what is it with this forum, as soon Niagara Helicopters is involved, some people put words out there i wouldn't even think off or wish to somebody else.

Please stay fair to everybody involved in this discussion or in any other discussion. There is a lot of things which could be done differently in this world, at work, gov. etc. and it's hard to please everybody. I would say or actually i know Niagara Helicopters is doing his share to keep this operations at a level where the risk is managed and there will always be a risk left in any helicopter operations.

RH

When we get to fly on the moon, we better have twins up there...

What? With the low gravity even an R22 should be able to auto like a 214 and a 214 should be able to fly 2 more turns before needing to head to a landing site within 6 NM.

Before someone corrects me about the lack of atmosphere on the moon it was flat tire that made the assumption of flying on the moon. I'm just running with the assumption 'cause that is what a good smartass does!

Ok what is it with this forum, as soon Niagara Helicopters is involved, some people put words out there i wouldn't even think off or wish to somebody else.

Please stay fair to everybody involved in this discussion or in any other discussion. There is a lot of things which could be done differently in this world, at work, gov. etc. and it's hard to please everybody. I would say or actually i know Niagara Helicopters is doing his share to keep this operations at a level where the risk is managed and there will always be a risk left in any helicopter operations.

RH

It's the arrogance that is most disturbing.......the arrogance that money buys.

Give yourself a shake Rene.

You're starting to believe your own PR.

The way you treat your pilots is loathsome, so don't get so high and mighty!