Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Man Survives Plunge Over Niagara Falls, Helicopter Assists In Rescue

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SidewallPuncture

is alpine working in a gorge with fast flowing water routinely with literally zero places to land when something goes wrong? If they are, then yeah....

Guest SidewallPuncture
Personally, I think Ruedi was putting himself in a position whereby if the poor sod drowned, his family could come after him for causing the drowning, or at least being part of the cause, meaning major law suit against Ruedi.

Secondly, all good intentions aside, unless it was requested, or previously practiced and agreed to by the Qualified Emergency Response personnel, his good intentions may have actually hindered rescue efforts. Nothing worse than a well intentioned amateur hampering the attemps of the pro,s.

Lastly, single engine over water is a lost arguement Sidewall, think of all those single engine fixed wings flying IFR IMC, even TC has agreed that with modern turbines, the chance of a failure is so low that they feel safe allowing it. Might not be brightest thing to do, but the stats. are hard to ignore.

I'm realising the single engine argument is not an easy one to win, so if it must be single engine....is there anything else being done to mitgate the risks? nope, don't see anything else either and there are several other things that could be done.

Reudi also works closely with all departments on both sides of the border, including Erie County Sherriff with their B2, and they do joint training excercises frequently. Like I said his skills aren't at question.

Nothing worse than a well intentioned amateur hampering the attemps of the pro,s.

I don't know Rudy at all. Does this accurately describe him? Or are we just lumping all people that don't have the training we want (or think they need) into this category?

Steve Flynn in Whistler BC got the Gov. General's Award for Bravery for rescuing an ice sailor who'd broken through the ice on Green Lake.

http://www.blackcombhelicopters.com/assets...Jan_16_2008.pdf

How's Ruedi's fine piece of work any different? Sounds to me like a perfect case of an experienced rescue pilot doing his thing.

I say, "Good work, Ruedi"!

Dick

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out when the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly....who knows the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst knows if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold or timid souls who have known neither victory nor defeat.

I wouldn't have said that Ruedi is an "experienced" rescue pilot, given that his main job is flipping round the Falls every 9 minutes, but he does get training, and he was there on the spot. I've flown those machines and I would have had a go under the same circumstances, especially as I have had much practice hauling broken motor cyclists off mountains in fog with a jettie. Much the same risk.

Obviously, there is a point beyond which it is plain that you will be doing no good, and the rescuee has to be let go, same as if you get a sight of the guy in the drink just when you get the bingo call. This is decision making and risk management at its best, but let's not be so politically correct, or worried about not being "a professional" that we don't even try in the first place! You surely have to give it your best within the limits available.

Should the Forestry guys with the Longranger not have tried to rescue the woman in the icy river in the Potomac crash, or should they have waited for a twin?

Phil

as most of you know, 17 yrs in EMS and about 12 yrs now teaching safety... i think that qualifies me a little more than most....

you do what you do when faced with the circumstances.. NO ONE knows how they will react at the time until they are in that space and faced with the issue...

quite honestly, well done, reudi... never met him, but he did what he was able and it worked out..

give the personal agendas a rest.... <_<