Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sling Loads And Passengers

Back on track, can you sling with your engineer on board?

Back on topic

This was never answered but I would like to here peoples opinion on it. I have slung on numerous occasions with my engineer on board. Is it legal? The only necessity was that I needed him to hook a load in an area were I was unable to power down and hook it myself. I could of just as easily left him in the bush and come back for him later. He is fully aware of the risks involved and is a company employee and a "crew member". But does that make it legal??? And what about forestry personal. They are exempt but really, are they necessary for the operation? Do they even fully understand the risks involved with the operation. I have had forestry personal on board during bucket missions and other than keeping me company well I am out there playing, they really haven't done anything that I would classify as essential for the operation. Sure they may handle the radio (which I am capable of doing myself) but that is it. Usually they say " you have more experience at this than me so just do your thing" There only essential duty is to kick the cargo release pedal if #### hits the fan as briefed by me.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can sling with the engineer on board as he now becomes essential personal. As for your forestry question, go post it on the "BC forestry dialogue request" thread because its a great point.

"There only essential duty is to kick the cargo release pedal if #### hits the fan as briefed by me"

or accidentaly kick it. sorry. :oops:

212wrench correct. In addition, you don't always have your engineer with you when you need such a person for a/c and load security. In such a case you may choose any person that YOU deem qualified to assist you in that regard. There is no place where it states that that person must be an engineer/apprentice.

How about if the company that hired you has a 2 pilot requirement even if the is only one set of controls, during day VFR utility and the self loading ballast is just there to reduce the PIC workload. Not really essential, just policy.

<_<

Back on track, can you sling with your engineer on board?

And what about forestry personal. They are exempt but really, are they necessary for the operation? Do they even fully understand the risks involved with the operation. I have had forestry personal on board during bucket missions and other than keeping me company well I am out there playing, they really haven't done anything that I would classify as essential for the operation. Sure they may handle the radio (which I am capable of doing myself) but that is it. Usually they say " you have more experience at this than me so just do your thing" There only essential duty is to kick the cargo release pedal if #### hits the fan as briefed by me.

Not sure where you're from but it's verbotten for BCFS staff to be onboard with anything on the hook, however there are about 5 agencies that do allow it.