Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Apartment Fire Put Out By Great Slave 212

Wow, You guys know what I heard? I heard he wasn't even gliding distance from shore either when he was picking up the water.

Feel free to join us in the real world.

I sure hope that if my house catches fire that there is a quick reacting crew like this around.

Way to go GSH and YKFD.

Press release to follow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate to be a rumour buzzKill but here is the official word. Feel free to PM me if you would like to know who to contact for more information regarding the incident.

Media Release

Great Slave Helicopters to donate revenue from Coast Fraser Tower fire suppression efforts to fallen firefighters fund

YELLOWKNIFE, NT, May 26, 2010 – Discovery Air Inc. subsidiary Great Slave Helicopters (GSH) is pleased to announce it will donate all revenue from its efforts battling yesterday’s fire at the Coast Fraser Tower in Yellowknife to the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Fund.

“We were just happy to be in a position to help out and minimize the damage related to this fire, which otherwise had the potential to become tragic very quickly,” said Jeff Denomme, President of GSH. “We had the equipment, the personnel and the expertise available and we were pleased to lend a hand under the leadership of the professional and skilled team at the Yellowknife Fire Department.”

After GSH received the call letting it know its assistance would be appreciated, pilot Kerry Fodie and chief pilot Gord Bean were dispatched in one of the company’s Bell 212 HP aircraft.

“It is a reliable twin-engine, duo-pilot helicopter that offers maximum safety at low levels and over water,” said Denomme. “It can lift an external load of up to 3,500 lbs.”

The water bucket used during yesterday’s operation had a 350 gallon capacity and after 10 trips the flames were knocked down and the building was largely saved.

“Each summer GSH is contracted by Manitoba, Alberta and the NWT to assist with forest fire suppression and we routinely get called out to other jurisdictions including Ontario when emergencies arise – we’re experts in this arena,” said Adam Bembridge, Northern Services Group President for Discovery Air. “Discovery Air and GSH are part of the fabric of Yellowknife and we were happy to have the opportunity to use our expertise to benefit our hometown in its time of need.”

I stopped coming on this forum last year because it seemed like no one ever had anything constructive or positive to add. It was just a place for people to B%@&CH about each other from behind the comfort of their screen names. I'm disappointed to see that nothing has changed.

Good work GSH on a job well done. I'm proud to be part of this team.

Man you better do some Regulation searching there boys... CARs 600 is for General Aviation, I don't think GS Operates under Part 600 of the CARs I would believe they are a 702/703 Operator

Unless your a private operator you and your OC must operate under that part of the CARs... Nothing states you can go charging into a built up area with a class b load!!!!

I see enforcement coming!

Great try though!

If you read CARS you will find that Part 7 operations reference Part 6 all over the place. Kinda like Part 6 is the general rules (GA, private and all the basics) and Part 7 is the fancy commercial stuff.

Good on Jeff and the GSH guys for the very generous donation :up:

Havn't you clowns got a job to go to or something?? What a mindless idiotic thread! Building catches fire, helicopter puts out fire, end of effing story!!! Talk about picking fly-shyte out of pepper, idiots spouting regulation after regulation!! JEEZ!!

John Nixon

Well actually simply put you are, try reading this especially the except part,

602.12 Overflight of Built-up Areas or Open-air Assemblies of Persons during Take-offs, Approaches and Landings

(1) For the purposes of this Section and Sections 602.14 and 602.15, an aircraft shall be deemed to be operated over a built-up area or over an open-air assembly of persons if the built-up area or open-air assembly of persons is within a horizontal distance of

(a) 500 feet from a helicopter or balloon;

(B 2,000 feet from an aircraft other than a helicopter or balloon.

(2) Except at an airport, heliport or military aerodrome, no person shall conduct a take-off, approach or landing in an aircraft over a built-up area or over an open-air assembly of persons, in a manner that is likely to create a hazard to persons or property.

(3) Except at an airport, heliport or military aerodrome, no person shall conduct a take-off, approach or landing in an aircraft over a built-up area or over an open-air assembly of persons unless that aircraft will be operated at an altitude from which, in the event of an engine failure or any other emergency necessitating an immediate landing, the aircraft can land without creating a hazard to persons or property.

I'd like to see it from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my arse.

If this was the only rule out there i would agree, however there is the standards section as well. According to you we better tell medevac flights to stop cause there is no more landing at a soccer fields...

You can pretty much do anything out there as long as you have a permit or fall under an exemption. (which they did in this case.)

I'd like to see it from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my arse.

If this was the only rule out there i would agree, however there is the standards section as well. According to you we better tell medevac flights to stop cause there is no more landing at a soccer fields...

You can pretty much do anything out there as long as you have a permit or fall under an exemption. (which they did in this case.)

Maybe you should re read the posts in sequence and perhaps when you finish you could enlighten me to where an exemption can be found for a Class B load over a built up area and perhaps you can also direct me to any associated standards under the part VI regs I quoted. I agree there is an exemption for firefighting, but it does not include bucketing over a built up area, as firefighting can include many other things, such as placing equipment and personnel on a building or acting as a spotter for example. Like I said, not saying they didn't do a good job, just wonder what the outcome would have been if something had gone wrong. Before you get back up on your soap box and say nothing went wrong, that is not the point. Remember a couple of years back when a medium was taking off from Penticton with is bucket on and the bucket some how got punched off and landed on the highway next to a pick-up truck. Now imagine the same bucket with 3500 pounds of water in it falling in downtown yellowknife with someone under it. A simple google earth search while give you the site of the action.

Oh and to quote you " According to you we better tell medevac flights to stop cause there is no more landing at a soccer fields..." thats not what I said and that is covered by a different section of the regs 602.13

Pal

I don't know about the rest of you naysayers in here, but I'm thinkin' that the bucketing effort was done at the request of the local FD. Thus it would have been coordinated with the assistance of the local PD to ensure approach and departure paths were clear of people. If not, well, they'll get it right next time after reviewing and updating their incident plans.

Call me Mr. Negative, but the fire was extinguished, building saved for another day, no one was injured (so it appears, anyway), and everyone went home to sleep safe and sound in their own beds.

Got a complaint? Call Transport Canada and file a report. They know the regs and are paid to police the system. Otherwise, it's all just negative speculation by a few disgruntled commentators. It's summer. Go fly on fires or something.