Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

We Have Such Awesome Jobs.

Iceman

Can't agree more. Yesterday was one of those magical days. Loving life and very grateful to be doing what we do. Fall is here in Alaska, amazing colours as the bush turns every hue of gold to red. Landed on a glacier by 11500' peaks with new snow down to 5000' and saw fat brown bears, bull moose, goats, eagles, swans herding together to fly south...

Took off at first light with a laminar 30 kt tailwind and caught the sun coming up over the Chugach creating that circular moving rainbow which travelled with me for most of a Pink Floyd album. Landed at a remote lodge and fed breakfast before spending the day flying with a cute girlguide and her two clients.

Love what we do. Couple days earlier flew the entire duty day slinging propane from PAVD to a cell tower. Totally different day but just as fun.

• Like 2

Can't agree more. Yesterday was one of those magical days. Loving life and very grateful to be doing what we do. Fall is here in Alaska, amazing colours as the bush turns every hue of gold to red. Landed on a glacier by 11500' peaks with new snow down to 5000' and saw fat brown bears, bull moose, goats, eagles, swans herding together to fly south...

Took off at first light with a laminar 30 kt tailwind and caught the sun coming up over the Chugach creating that circular moving rainbow which travelled with me for most of a Pink Floyd album. Landed at a remote lodge and fed breakfast before spending the day flying with a cute girlguide and her two clients.

Love what we do. Couple days earlier flew the entire duty day slinging propane from PAVD to a cell tower. Totally different day but just as fun.

Awesome.

So hard to get started in the industry, but so worth it, as detailed above!

• Like 1

You suck, I suck, this sucks, helicopters suck.

Ok maybe not. I just spent a week at the fishing lodge with a boat, a fishing rod and an open staff bar watching my machines fly around and the mins stack up and getting paid for what can only be described as a vacation. No complaints from over here!

Disclaimer: The beer and watching machines fly were absolutely at different times of sun exposure.

If someone came along with a magic wand and knocked you back to a 100 hr pilot or an apprentice again, would you do it all over again?

I think I would. I have seen some pretty awesome things and been to some pretty awesome places and had many days where I can't believe someone is paying me to do my job. There has been plenty of bad days, bad tours, bad places too and times where I wonder why the heck I'm doing what I'm doing, but those are far fewer. I have also met, lived with and worked with some of the finest and most interesting people that exist, and I wouldn't give up that experience or change anything about that ever.

Would definetly do it again. After flightschool I was fortunate enough to get flying pretty quick, but i was prepared to spent 4 years plus trying to get in the seat.

Even when I get back from a job where I'm out of town for a few weeks and I miss my family, I still get jealous when I see someone flying a machine over my house.

Earlier this summer I thought I forgot something at a fuel cache near camp at the end of the day, so I fired up the machine to go fly over and get it. Shortly before I could take off someone came over and told me not to go becuase someone had picked up what forgot. I sat there with the machine fired up and ready to go....and it was pretty hard to just shut it down without taking off. Even at the end of an 8 hour day slinging core. I almost just went for a burn just for the sake of it.