Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Niagara Helicopters

Elvis

He didn't want to pay for high time salaries but he wouldn't hire low time pilots.

Years ago he posted want adds that only required 600 hours pic (which was all I had at the time) then when I sent a resume he replied with "our 407 positions require 1000 hours pic". I'm pretty sure he was just putting the adds out so he could claim he didn't get any replies and then get approved for visas to hire out of country pilots who have the hours for his insurance and will work for low time pay to get turbine time. I even saw he got some award for business management once what a joke. Would have been the perfect job to get low time guys some time.

Even stopped by his place in the off season when there was 2 cars in the parking lot, but was told "he was in a meeting" when I wanted to give him a resume.

Hopefully HTSC utilizes this operation to bring in new pilots to the industry. We all know there is a need for those jobs.

• Like 4

I would hazard a guess that most of the foreign helicopter pilots that are hired in Canada are not hired because they have special skills that can't be filled by Canadian pilots living in Canada. The real reason that the greatest majority of this foreign hiring goes on is to save money and have a compliant worker who can not change employers and is willing to stick it out for a year at which point he has had enough sh$% and abuse (and has bagged those precious and coveted turbine hours) and is replaced by another foreigner and the cycle repeats its self. I did meet a few of these fellows from down under at a large BC training facility and you would have thought by all the accents that i had been transported somewhere else. lol Then who did i meet at a company in AB but two of those guys writing their exams. I hear it's the same thing in Northern BC, lots of accents there! These companies that routinely put up ads for pilots asking for a certain number of hours and then hiring a foreigner because they don't care so much about the hours as much as they do about how much money they can save and how much they can abuse their employees. Nothing against these foreiners, they are great people just trying to make their way in the world just like anyone else, it's the companies and our own government that make it almost impossible for someone starting out to get some hours and gain some skill.

Actually last season, the company I work for HAD to hire temp. foreign workers as the market was completely dry, and we had seats to fill...

As I now am a permanent resident, I no longer have to worry on THAT end, thankfully, but then again, I consider myself Canadian now.

As for the Niagara business, we shall see what the future brings.

I have heard that Ruedi is ALWAYS the first up, and the last down, and always has the option to send you home at half day, to save on pay. oh, and apparently he did not allow pilots to receive tips eitehr... But that is all second hand info, I have never worked there, and hope to not have to...

Cheers

H.

• Like 1

oh, and apparently he did not allow pilots to receive tips eitehr...

That would be unfortunate. Tips can translate into a lot of money. Two people I know working for a Las Vegas operator claim that they average $40,000 in tips per year. If you think about how many people you're taking up and how often, I can see it.

the trip around the falls barely has time for you to take in the sights let alone time to open your wallet and tip the driver. As soon as you land, the cattle mustering crew jumps into action and pokes and prods you towards the exit.

Most tourists are bankrupt anyways after a vacation in the falls, and that is only getting worse.

Reudi isn't dumb, he sees the writing on the wall and knows that the bottom will fall out soon on tourism in Niagara unless the city changes its ways and stops robbing everyone who visits.

Stay at a fall view hotel, go for their buffet breakfast and cry your eyes out when they charge almost $40 per person for a heat and serve breakfast that 9 out of ten truck stops can beat on a bad day.

Enjoy the retirement Reudi, I know you signed on for a year, but I'd be surprised if you weathered the storm that long.

Actually last season, the company I work for HAD to hire temp. foreign workers as the market was completely dry, and we had seats to fill...

As I now am a permanent resident, I no longer have to worry on THAT end, thankfully, but then again, I consider myself Canadian now.

As for the Niagara business, we shall see what the future brings.

I have heard that Ruedi is ALWAYS the first up, and the last down, and always has the option to send you home at half day, to save on pay. oh, and apparently he did not allow pilots to receive tips eitehr... But that is all second hand info, I have never worked there, and hope to not have to...

Cheers

H.

I say BS on had to hire foreign workers as the market was completely dry. Sure it was Dry of people with over 1,000 hours plus. It is kind of funny how small operators can hire 100 hour wonders and large companies with huge safety and HR departments require 1,000 plus hours and blame it on their insurance companies when really its all about cutting costs and getting better rates from their insurance company. It really comes back to the old saying. I can't get a job cause i don't have any experience. I can't get any experience cause i can't get a job.

Now i see Phoenix is looking for qualified pilots and you don't only have to be able to fly you have to have excellent written and oral skills. What does written and oral skills have to do with being good on a line or flying the dam thing. I guess they want someone that can put more then a log entry in the book? Sounds to me like someone else is setting it up so they can say that low time Canadian pilots don't qualify.