Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Weight And Balance Log Entry For Door Removal?

Another option to make your life slightly easier to to have labela printed up for when you remove or re-enter the door so you don't have to acctually write "doors required to be removed for ops.. Doors removed new wieght is X new c of g is Y and Z ". And then just slap that in the book when you take them off.

I guess it would depend on which combos of doors you have off, but since the numbers won't change it can make

It go a little quicker when customers are staring at you.

I could be mistaken but I believe a temporary weight and balance is a provision in Car's for an item to be repaired or to facilitate a repair.

I see what are are thinking, but it has a larger scope than that, I would feel comfortable saying it was a modification.

(i) Paragraph (2)(a) above allows for the temporary removal of aircraft equipment for repair, or incorporation of a modification or repair, without the need to immediately amend the empty weight and balance report.

Another option to make your life slightly easier to to have labela printed up for when you remove or re-enter the door so you don't have to acctually write "doors required to be removed for ops.. Doors removed new wieght is X new c of g is Y and Z ". And then just slap that in the book when you take them off.

I guess it would depend on which combos of doors you have off, but since the numbers won't change it can make

It go a little quicker when customers are staring at you.

If you were going to go through the effort of pre calculation all of that and making labels, I would suggest you just make weight and balace configurations, like the OP said his company was doing. I only suggested the temp W&B for use until the configurations (addendums) were distributed to the aircraft in question.

Hellifixer, on 12 July 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

I could be mistaken but I believe a temporary weight and balance is a provision in Car's for an item to be repaired or to facilitate a repair.

I see what are are thinking, but it has a larger scope than that, I would feel comfortable saying it was a modification.

(i) Paragraph (2)(a) above allows for the temporary removal of aircraft equipment for repair, or incorporation of a modification or repair, without the need to immediately amend the empty weight and balance report.

When taking the door off on an operational basis, what exactly would be "the incorporation of a modification"? Is it a mod just because you took the door off? Seems like a bit of a stretch when I read paragraph (i) above...

When taking the door off on an operational basis, what exactly would be "the incorporation of a modification"? Is it a mod just because you took the door off? Seems like a bit of a stretch when I read paragraph (i) above...

A stretch??

mod·i·fi·ca·tion (md-f-kshn)

n.

1. The act of modifying or the condition of being modified.

2. A result of modifying.

3. A small alteration, adjustment, or limitation.

No need to overthink it. You are modifying the aircraft by removing the door.

I'm siding with skidsup...flight manual gives you info for flight with doors on and off...my 2 cents...have never entered a change in w/b with doors off :blink:

I don't believe he was saying that you don't need to do an entry, I think he was saying he doesn't believe you can do a temporary W&B for removing something for operational convenience and that it is reserved for repairs and such.

Just because we never did a weight and balance change for this doesn't mean you don't have to.

Contact your local PMI, not the Vertical forums, if you have any doubts as to the legal requirements that pertain to you.