Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Bait Pilots Ending Foreign Worker Abuse

Guest JetboxJockey

Guest jesse

I didn't realise that being born in Canada forgave all sins. Maybe they should stop employing anyone who's family immigrated here in the last 200 years. Maybe only First Nations pilots should be hired, seeing as they're the true residents of Canada. Everyone else is just a foreigner

Websters dictionary.org defines an Immigrant "as a person who comes to a country where they were NOT born, in order to settle there". If you were born here in Canada your not an immigrant, where your ancestors might have come from is irrelevant. Furthermore anthropologists believe that the "Natives" of this country originally immigrated here from the continent of Asia some 15,000+/- years ago, so your comment and argument are really pointless.

Following this thread and the topic of temporary foreign workers in general I don't believe anyone is arguing that useless, lazy and unqualified Canadians should have every job at all cost. The general consensus is that a qualified Citizen of this country should have a job before a temporary foreign worker, is it to much to ask for us to have first crack at employment in our own country?

What sets me off and I'm sure a few others is when your flying out of Fort Nelson for example and while making idle small talk with the New Zealand pilot you ask what amount of hours a low time pilot such as myself would have to work towards to get a position like his flying workers in and out of work camps in a jet ranger and with a nervous laugh and a wink he says, "just show up with a log book that shows the minimum required by the oil company and you will be good to go haha" that and subsequent comments during the flight indicated that he adjusted his logbook to fit the job requirements...How could any temporary worker expect a Canadian to not become bitter or angry about that, even if it doesn't represent the majority of foreign pilots?

If a Canadian pilot gripes and moans about every last thing, can't fly to save himself, clients hate him, workmates hate him, management hates him, treats machines poorly, won't clean up after himself, and is just a general pain, why should he be hired before a foreign guy who's prepared to do the work right, gets along with other guys, treats machines well and doesn't complain about the small stuff?

That makes sense ..... hire a foreign worker instead of a competent Canadian pilot.

Why would you indicate that the option for hiring a pilot should defer to a foreign pilot if the Canadian pilot you hired is not up to standards?

• Like 1

If a Canadian pilot gripes and moans about every last thing, can't fly to save himself, clients hate him, workmates hate him, management hates him, treats machines poorly, won't clean up after himself, and is just a general pain, why should he be hired before a foreign guy who's prepared to do the work right, gets along with other guys, treats machines well and doesn't complain about the small stuff? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

I didn't realise that being born in Canada forgave all sins. Maybe they should stop employing anyone who's family immigrated here in the last 200 years. Maybe only First Nations pilots should be hired, seeing as they're the true residents of Canada. Everyone else is just a foreigner

So to summarize, if you end up with a less than stellar Canadian employee your first move should be ....hire a foreigner.

Some of us might think to fire him and find another Canadian pilot. I know, it's crazy!

• Like 2

Guest driver81

We already have a TFW progam in canada. It's called the Working Holiday Visa. I would bet that half of the foreingers in the Canadian helicopter indusrty are on that particular work visa. The good thing about that work visa is the foreingners can work where they like, and don't have to worry about being kicked out of canada if they are fired. The TWF program needs to go, it's just a way for companies to abuse Foreingers.

The working holiday Visa I believe is only good for a year, and the TFW "Work Permit" is only now available for 4 years, then you have to leave for a minimum of 2 years before you are allowed into the country again, if anybody cares.

If they made it even remotely harder to get an LMO, then things would change drastically.

Cheers,

H.

The working holiday Visa I believe is only good for a year, and the TFW "Work Permit" is only now available for 4 years, then you have to leave for a minimum of 2 years before you are allowed into the country again, if anybody cares.

If they made it even remotely harder to get an LMO, then things would change drastically.

Cheers,

H.

The working holiday permit is for one year, but can be extended to two in many cases. If the individual starts the immigration process early, their permanent resident status is usually granted before the two years is up, and if there are delays, the WHP can be extended further in certain cases. The limiting factor in the WHP is age. It is only available to people under the age of 30 or 35, depending on the country of origin. There are no restrictions on what kind of work or where the individual can work in Canada.

If the conditions of these visas were truly reciprocal, then Canadian pilots would have the opportunity to go work elsewhere (like Oz and NZ for instance) as well. As it stands currently, a Canadian going to Oz (not sure about NZ and other countries) cannot hold down a job with the same employer for more than 3 months. Who's gonna hire a pilot for three months ?

If the same conditions were imposed by the Canadian gov't on the WHP program, then you would see less people abusing the principal of the program, which is a WORKING HOLIDAY...

I've seen examples where a foreign pilot comes in on a WHP, and once that runs out, their employer raises a TFW visa for them. This doesn't happen in other countries that have "reciprocal" arrangements with Canada. If you're there on a WHP, then you're automatically disqualified from applying for a work visa for a designated period of time. Other countries protect their jobs. Canada gives them away...

• Like 1

The AUS and KIWI shops are locked up tighter than the Kingston pen to all Canadians over 30. No working holiday visa or TWP is possible.

The Australian and New Zealand governments protect what jobs there are for their citizens. Canada on the other hand uses distorted employment statistics that do not consider the particular circumstances of our industry , nor does it promote or encourage training for young Canadians by assisting employers with meaningful tax incentives to enable a more home grown approach.

I bet that if it were determined that TFW or Working holiday visas effected the PSAC pension benefits or negatively effected the pensions of elected MPs , there would be an uproar and the problem effecting our industry would be fixed overnight .

No solution I sight for the foreseeable future me thinks.

p5

Not too long ago I trained this guy, a foreigners (from far away) that has been hired by the Company I was working for at the time and at the beginning I was given his resume to see how much experience he had, so during that week I asked the guy (nice enough person) what he did as a pilot and how many hours total he had (twice during the week) and going from the total hours he had in his resume plus the 2 different totals he gave me later, there was a difference of 2500 hrs. The first time was less than he had on his resume and the second was more.

Looks like he had a problem keeping track of his lies.

Crosstube