Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Job's Job's Job's

Hmm... all these 1000 hour jobs... no one to fly them, the only potential pilots are now OVER qualified. In my (very humble) opinion this is a problem that started 3-4 years ago, and is only being felt today. That 100 hour guy who got turned away could be a 1000 hour guy today easily.

So how did this happen? I wonder if theres ever been a time period before where the industry found itself short of guys in the 1000 - 1500 hour range? Is this a cycle that has been felt before? OR Did this start the first day an insurance company told some operator that their 100 hour hanger floor sweeper didn't have enough experience to ferry the 206 down the street to be repainted?

Seems to me that if a company could manage to give a lowtimer an hour here or there he (or she) would be there the next year, and the year after, and in no time they would be the companies next 1000 hour guy. Good news for the companie, as their new guy on the job is someone theyve already known for a few years and can trust. Maybe the problem has more to do with comapnies not being able to bring on and tutor low time guys like they have in the past?

But what do I know, I'm only a kid.

tDawe

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TDawe,

Most of our customers require a hour minimum for pilots. I think its unfair to criticize helicopters operators for not hiring 100 hr pilots, its a customer driven problem (most of them have no idea why they have hour minimums). I think the biggest issue is that customers use the same third party aviation consultants to make/guide there safety manuals and aviation operating guides.

amodao

Sorry I guess I didn't make my post as clear as I had hoped, I wasnt trying to blame the operators in anyway for the shortage, rather the insurance companies and other outside influences (unrealistic customer requirements) that bind the hands of the operators. It just kinda seems to me that operators are being forced into this position by outside influences and its greatly affecting our industry.

tDawe

This is starting to change.

Last year, Hydro-Quebec dropped it's minimums from 1000Hrs PIC + 100 Hrs on type to 250Hrs PIC + 50 Hrs on type + a 13 hour course (basically how to move over, around, under, hydro lines, how to read the little placards on pylons, etc.).

The shortage of high-time pilots (I'm hoping) will open more doors for low-timers such as myself. If the customer is given the choice between flying with a low-timer and not flying at all, I think they'll eventually come 'round...

I spoke with a very smart man who said hireing a lowtimer is a long term investment, if you can convince them to stick with it they will be yours until they get greedy, he takes this from a theory by another man I met, who said that he had purchused a r-22 and was letting them fly it provided that when they reached the insurance minimum (i think about 1000) that he would give them jobs and they would work for him until they paid this time off. so if one were to do this they would be investing in a pilot and giving him there chance, I believe this was very benificial to the pilots and employers. the pilot (only one stayed with them) got 1000 hrs on type for pretty much free and then worked for the company and to my knowledge is still there

That my friends is the way to do it :up:

edit: i forgot to say this is kind of like the military but you already have to have your liscence and you probobally wont get shot at :shock: