Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ipad Mounts

We have recently purchased iPads for our aircraft (206, 212, 205), and are looking for ways to mount them, preferably without having to get a STC. We aren't sure how a suction cup would hold up either on window or dash, day after day...worried that that if it falls in flight that it could end up down at the foot controls or break through the bubble. We figure velcro won't hold well in the summer, as the heat will soften the glue. Any comments, suggestions or if you don't mind sharing how you mount your tablet into your aircraft are appreciated.

Fly safe

You might want to check out Advisory Circular 700-020 regarding EFBs. Using an iPad in the cockpit falls into that category and mounting it to the aircraft puts it into the category of a class 2 EFB which requires TCCA (or designated representative)certification. Also, I believe anything mounted or affixed to a transport category helicopter requires certification....assuming you want it to be 100% legal. I know our 212 & 205 ram mounts have STCs, and they are specific to certain models of GPS.....which unfortunately means no iPad. The simplest option is probably a kneeboard.

Hope that helps.

DP

You might want to check out Advisory Circular 700-020 regarding EFBs. Using an iPad in the cockpit falls into that category and mounting it to the aircraft puts it into the category of a class 2 EFB which requires TCCA (or designated representative)certification. Also, I believe anything mounted or affixed to a transport category helicopter requires certification....assuming you want it to be 100% legal. I know our 212 & 205 ram mounts have STCs, and they are specific to certain models of GPS.....which unfortunately means no iPad. The simplest option is probably a kneeboard.

Hope that helps.

DP

If it's just for Nav it's not an EFB. If you want to run your checklists and manuals off it...then it needs EFB approval. As far as mounting a RAM ball....well, Transport has a pretty broad interpretation (or lack thereof) of a "minor mod".

Here's a good article on major/minor modifications & repairs, and some of the problems you can have.

http://amumagazine.com/?p=3030

Well aside from the "legal" side of things in the medium you have lots of room so a ram ball mounted pretty much any where will work. I like the life proof cases with the cradle and ram ball mounted to the back. In the 206 I have seen a buddy of mine that ran a iPad (can't remember if its the mini or not) on a suction ram mount on the windscreen kinda close to the door post in a 407 with no ill effects so that probably work in the 206 as well. Space is the killer in the 206. Like already said may have to go to a knee mount.

• 2 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:59 PM, MEOB said:

In the 206 I have seen a buddy of mine that ran a iPad (can't remember if its the mini or not) on a suction ram mount on the windscreen kinda close to the door post in a 407 with no ill effects so that probably work in the 206 as well.

I've worked at a couple of places now that have banned the use of suction cups on windscreens. The reason being: On a hot sunny day, the suction cup will deform the windscreen. I've seen it on an Astar  but not on a Jetbox. But they took no chances after the first incident.

Jetranger is easy, you mount the ram ball on top of the dash.

I have a miniPad that I suction cup to the windshield of my medium utilizing an Ram "X" holder. Never had an issue. Trick is to check that it is not loose before you fire up. I also velcro a battery pack on the dash to keep it powered because Foreflight sucks ALOT of battery power!

3 hours ago, 412driver said:

I have a miniPad that I suction cup to the windshield of my medium utilizing an Ram "X" holder. Never had an issue. Trick is to check that it is not loose before you fire up. I also velcro a battery pack on the dash to keep it powered because Foreflight sucks ALOT of battery power!

We now have usb power in our mediums, but I built a cord and took power from the 2 pin connector used for refueling or stobex power, and then Used a 12-24 volt cigarette usb adapter to power the iPad and phone during flight...

The suction mount and X grip are awesome!!!

I switched from Foreflight to Garmin Pilot, much easier to enter a lat and long on the go with Garmin...