Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

False promises you got as a carrot.

The one that burns me the most was I signed on for the summer to fly a single engine medium with the promise of a 212 endorsement at the end of the season.... I had extended a couple of times because I didn't want to p*ss anyone off and not get the 212 endorsement.... the end of a slow season came and because the 212 was leased they didn't give me my endorsement. 

Bullsh*t reason but still no endorsement.

I never let that be a carrot to me again and still no 212 time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pool pilot said:

The one that burns me the most was I signed on for the summer to fly a single engine medium with the promise of a 212 endorsement at the end of the season.... I had extended a couple of times because I didn't want to p*ss anyone off and not get the 212 endorsement.... the end of a slow season came and because the 212 was leased they didn't give me my endorsement. 

Bullsh*t reason but still no endorsement.

I never let that be a carrot to me again and still no 212 time.

Ahhh the old “end of season endorsement” eh! LOL 🚩 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CM119 said:

I’ve been there, I think we all have, what a horrible industry lol

So tell your story to low time guys that are trying to get to where us old timers are now.

Some of us got taken more than once including myself. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

So tell your story to low time guys that are trying to get to where us old timers are now.

Some of us got taken more than once including myself. 

First time (definitely not the last) was for a 205 carrot that was to be conducted in spring as part of my (verbal arrangement) with management in conjunction with the rate and flight pay I agreed to. Then it was pushed back to mid summer when there’s a machine available because fires and we’re too busy, then let’s just do it in the fall, then laid off due to lack of work, go figure.  
They got me good, worked me hard all summer then threw me out like garbage in the fall.  100% premeditated and it’s still something that happens pathetically enough in Canada. 

Several lessons here, I was in my early 20s and very naive (employers know that, and will take advantage of that),  any arrangements you make with an employer get in writing, even if it’s in an email or text, something you can rely back on, but ideally have any employment contract drafted or at least reviewed by an employment lawyer, it’s well worth the money.  If the employer is reluctant to put their deal they made with you in writing, 🚩 proceed with caution.

The buddy buddy friend factor (I considered my boss a friend) is out the window where his mid management position is concerned as soon as you become an employee.  Don’t rely solely on anyones word to be kept especially in this racket, this is the only industry everyone expects to get screwed over and no one is surprised when it happens, it’s almost like the mafia.  
And on a bit of a side note, resist signing any and all training bonds if you can help it.  They need you trained as much or more than you need said training. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Twin Helix said:

I know you worked a lot of overtime, and we said we'd pay it at the end of season.  But if you want the endorsement we're going to use your overtime to offset the training costs.  

Gross, been in something similar as well. 🇨🇦 

• Like 1

Kinda like listening to a couple old ladies complain about how hard done by they are.  If getting a 212 endorsement is your trophy on the wall then maybe you should look at a different career. 

#### happens - get over it.

Most owners/managers that I know will do everything in their power to retain and keep good people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1