Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

H135 pilot training

On 10/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, Oluwaferanmi said:

Good day. I'm planning to become an helicopter pilot and I want to learn how to fly the H135/EC135 airbus helicopter. How do I go about it.

5 hours ago, DGP said:

I got a good laugh when I heard $30 grand...the $100 g for the commercial in North Bay was all on turbine...

It’s been that price for the last 20 years.  

My latest copy of the 2021 casual charter rates from Alberta Forestry (has this changed at all this year?) shows $2765 per hr flying rate for the H135... simple math for 100 hrs is well over a quarter million dollars..

now lets look at the other side.... anyone who thinks he can master a complex twin engine machine with 100 hrs, regardless if you trained ab initio on it, has learned nothing about CDM/CRM in my opinion.... 😵

• Like 2

Correct me if I am wrong but if you get a license...100 hrs on whatever...and then you go looking around for a type rating on a 135...someone will shove you in the seat of a twin...I think there may be some minimum requirements...when I worked for Midwest...they got a couple of almost new 212's from Era...their instructors came in to Wpg...they wouldn't train anyone that didn't already have a medium checkout and at least 500 hrs on mediums and 2000 hrs on helicopters!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DGP said:

Correct me if I am wrong but if you get a license...100 hrs on whatever...and then you go looking around for a type rating on a 135...someone will shove you in the seat of a twin...I think there may be some minimum requirements...when I worked for Midwest...they got a couple of almost new 212's from Era...their instructors came in to Wpg...they wouldn't train anyone that didn't already have a medium checkout and at least 500 hrs on mediums and 2000 hrs on helicopters!

Midwest is going back four decades, and I don’t think that internal requirement applies here.  
Things will boil down to money required for the license and rating, and what experience insurance deems necessary for the type of flying he’s planning on doing.  
He can get certified on type after he’s licensed,  the type of flying will be the caveat to this situation.

To the OP, what type of flying is this aircraft intended for?  Does the employer have an established AOC or is this a startup? VFR, IFR, offshore, urban or remote, utility, business, personal?  If I were to wager a guess it would be private corporate.  These questions need to be accounted for to assess what’s required to get flying.

15 hours ago, twinstar_ca said:

My latest copy of the 2021 casual charter rates from Alberta Forestry (has this changed at all this year?) shows $2765 per hr flying rate for the H135... simple math for 100 hrs is well over a quarter million dollars..

now lets look at the other side.... anyone who thinks he can master a complex twin engine machine with 100 hrs, regardless if you trained ab initio on it, has learned nothing about CDM/CRM in my opinion.... 😵

That $2765 is billable not the aircraft DOC.  We don’t know the OP’s requirements for this aircraft use or what the employer or he is willing to invest for the rating.  I asked in my precious post, let’s see if he comes back with some more info.  I’m guessing this is private / corporate flying.

2 hours ago, CM119 said:

That $2765 is billable not the aircraft DOC.  We don’t know the OP’s requirements for this aircraft use or what the employer or he is willing to invest for the rating.  I asked in my precious post, let’s see if he comes back with some more info.  I’m guessing this is private / corporate flying.

I would think you are right...private/corp...commercial ops would not go for this...even if these guys are buying new from Airbus...I don't think that they would get factory training with 100 hrs...I may be wrong but I did my 407 at Bell in Texas and they wanted to know your background to know what they were dealing with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DGP said:

I would think you are right...private/corp...commercial ops would not go for this...even if these guys are buying new from Airbus...I don't think that they would get factory training with 100 hrs...I may be wrong but I did my 407 at Bell in Texas and they wanted to know your background to know what they were dealing with.

Wow what a right fighter. 

• Haha 1