Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Have people been getting big hours this summer?

For the worst fire season in Canadian history supposedly, I’m wondering what people are getting for hours? 
This year for me has been not great on 205/212. Just when things start ramping up we get a parks Canada crew that doesn’t fly or American IMT team who by the way told us that Canadian pilots are rouge and just waste time bucketing  since helicopters don’t put out fires and our hours go from flying snowmen to 2-3 just flying crew and only bucket when a div sup requests it. Personally this has been just an average year hour wise with just over 300 hours. 

• Thanks 2

I thought it was just me! I know plenty of medium guys crushing 8's and timing out since May. But as an intermediate I always seem to catch a fire in mop-up, or same as you said about the difference IMT's. I think I flew a single snowman this summer, and more days below mins than above. Maybe 6hrs total of bucket ops. It's been pretty depressing, especially when watching what others have been up to. That's fires, I guess, but still...

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, average season. But it went as I suspected with no major surprises which works just fine for me. Banged out a few 8’s. LMAO on one fire. I was the only machine, flew out crews with new coveralls. Bucketed all day then took crews home before timing out for the day. Only thing dirty on the crew coveralls was around their boot cuffs and on their @$$es!! Kept me busy for days. Lol  Another fire was one the crews all drove into. I showed up at 0800 and not a soul around. I put on the bucket and went to work. They would finally show around 1000. Had a week of 8’s on that one too. I bucketed and watch firefighters sit around all day. So I just shook my head and made my $$$$$ 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

You are not alone 412 Driver.... my crews were allergic to rain..... good thing they had tarps so they stayed dry and was able to watch. 

Mine were allergic to work. Laziest people I have ever seen. Utterly useless but then again, I didn’t care…I kept busy doing my own thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1