Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cougar Incident Offshore

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pilot turned around three minutes from the rig and the pax were complaining about going back to St. John's.

Talk about your BACK SEAT drivers.

I don't beleive a rig platform is the place to practice one engine landings unless you are low on fuel.

PDM and he used it, the story could have been entirely different. Those pax's should be praising the pilots and buying the drinks.

No matter what helicopter was being flown, I am sure you would get only one chance of landing with the sink rate and power applications.

The insurance company should send the crew on a pre-paid world cruise.

Well done guys.

Cheers, Don

I couldn't be certain of the SOP and emergency checklist response to an engine failure at Cougar but I would be willing to bet they proceeded by the book. The policy of off shore transport providers is too proceed to a land based alternate in the case of an oei landing. And for interest sake, I agree that if you feel that the second stove will take you to a local with more space and emergency response crews thats the safer bet. It would certainly be a sad state of affairs to roll off the deck a hundred feet and land inverted in the water. You might have a slow leg back to town with a knot in your belly but you should land without excitement or damage back at a strip. Well this is my first post on here so hello to all the regulars as well.