Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Satelite Tracking Requirements (forestry)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BC Forest service (Nelson Region) is currently using a computerized tracking system based on your radio call-in's. It will take all of your UP times and DOWN times as entered by the dispatcher, and give the Fire Center a good idea of what you have flown for that day. If your Flight Report and the tracking times are different...you'd better have a good explanation !

The problem I had was it said I charged too little. If the dispatcher misses a call or misinterprets a call then the times are off. It is still a case of garbage in-garbage out.

Nah they will not can chicken lady...I am sure she will just lose the mic and run the computer in the coop. Ya just can't replace someone like that! :rolleyes: The GPS was introduced to give her vocal cords a rest and account for all those areas not covered by those useless AFS radios and inadequate BCFS repeater networks. Nothin worse than tryin to check in with the above mentioned only to get no response cause there is no repeater close enough to the inaccesable area you are working.

God bless the chicken lady!

P

we used the gps trackers for alberta rap last year.....nothing changed...same 30min call ins...same routine except i had to add an extra switch to flick on during startup an then turn it back off for shutdown. didnt ruin my day or nothing.

dont think its as much of a hour meter as it is just for logistics an planning.

we used the gps trackers for alberta rap last year.....nothing changed...same 30min call ins...same routine except i had to add an extra switch to flick on during startup an then turn it back off for shutdown. didnt ruin my day or nothing.

dont think its as much of a hour meter as it is just for logistics an planning.

Did they supply the unit in Alta?

I had the same experience as HJ, I was under billing at the end of the day suposedly. The trackers we used last year didn't have the on off button they were on all the time. Forsure not a problem just need a new place to hard mount them so there not rattling around on the top of the pannel. Again some may see these as a way of spying on us but I talked to a few old forestry boys and its just like the tankers safety, THATS ALL

MH :up: