Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Training In The Okanagan Bc

2BanAviator

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked canadians abinitio course was like 130GRAND!

If you want to train turbine, check out Great slave helicopters, that is about the only "Affordable" option when it comes to 100 on turbine, and from what it looks like, they sub out your last 50 hours on the Jetbox over to the 500.

Some good pilots have come outta there for sure.

412 and Cole.

I have never (yet) been advised by any pilot to "stay away" from the Robinson 22.

I, like a large number of pilots at Airborne Energy Solutions, fly one weekly in a commercial setting. Please ellaborate on the reasons you were given to avoid this type. Any additional info you could post here would be helpful.

Thanks,

100'

Thanks for all the feedback, I didn’t really want to start the whole R22 vs whatever :mellow: but as it has been raised please feel free, it’s all good information.

I have read every post I can find on the subject both on this forum and others, :blink: oops are we allowed to mention others? There are a great many training establishments using the R22 so it follows that there are a great many pilots now working in the industry who trained on the R22. Whatever machine the training is carried out on seems to have little effect on the price of the training so if there is some huge downside to training on an R22 why do so many training establishments run by experienced pilots still use them? <_<

I trained in the R22 and it worked for me! It's a helicopter, challenging to fly with some limitations as all do. I think it's a fine trainer. Coast Heli-College in Victoria B.C. with Bob Reimer would be a great Choice.

It's an easy transition to the 206 with an R22 background.

I trained in the R22 and it worked for me! It's a helicopter, challenging to fly with some limitations as all do. I think it's a fine trainer. Coast Heli-College in Victoria B.C. with Bob Reimer would be a great Choice.

I'll second that remark.

Two thumbs up for Bob!

Two thumbs up for the R-22!

Long live the Double-Deuce!! :up:

"Whatever machine the training is carried out on seems to have little effect on the price of the training so if there is some huge downside to training on an R22 why do so many training establishments run by experienced pilots still use them?"

it comes down to $$$$. the R22 is cheaper to run that the rest. wait, no that's not entirely true, it's about the same as the 300 over the long run but at 2000 hours the R22 goes in for a complete overhaul costing ??? US$150K maybe?

a close friend has a company that had a fatal crash with an R22. Frank Robinson himself said, and i quote: "I NEVER intended the R22 to be a training helicopter, it was and is designed to be personal transportation for an experienced pilot"

his words, not mine........

sure, an experienced pilot can take an R22 and fly around all day long in the patch but even Bob Reimer knows what can happen when one flies with an inexperienced student in an R22. (and NO, i'm am NOT knocking Bob)

heck, it's scary enough in the 300's for crying out loud! :shock:

true story, i had a chief pilot from a company call me for a low time pilot to fly a R22. i sent him a candidate. the CP calls me back a week or so later asking about the pilot i sent him. "was he better than the rest....really good student? ect." i said no, a good kid but average, why? he said:

"because he is flying the R22 better than all the other guys i pulled in that trained 100 hours on the R22!!" :up:

2BanAviator, bottom line, everyone has trademark loyalty. everyone will give you THEIR opinion (myself included). YOU need to get out and visit the schools, talk to the instructors and make YOUR opinion because that's the one that counts!

it's a $#@tload of money you want to spend, spend it wisely...........

Yes don't fret over the nay sayers. I was all happy as a pig getting two years in a piston banger(mostly in mountains) and went to see a fella operating a 47 for a job. He says " I suppose you have heard that if you can fly a hiller you can fly anything?" I eagerly flap my gums in agreement"YES". To which he replied"My experience is that hiller pilots can't fly anything else" :huh:

Needless to say I didn't get a job, but truly enjoyed flying all day on a fire in our 204 while his was parked on the ground 14 years later. Its the little things that get me thru.... :up:

sc

"Whatever machine the training is carried out on seems to have little effect on the price of the training so if there is some huge downside to training on an R22 why do so many training establishments run by experienced pilots still use them?"

it comes down to $$$$. the R22 is cheaper to run that the rest. wait, no that's not entirely true, it's about the same as the 300 over the long run but at 2000 hours the R22 goes in for a complete overhaul costing ??? US$150K maybe?

a close friend has a company that had a fatal crash with an R22. Frank Robinson himself said, and i quote: "I NEVER intended the R22 to be a training helicopter, it was and is designed to be personal transportation for an experienced pilot"

his words, not mine........

sure, an experienced pilot can take an R22 and fly around all day long in the patch but even Bob Reimer knows what can happen when one flies with an inexperienced student in an R22. (and NO, i'm am NOT knocking Bob)

heck, it's scary enough in the 300's for crying out loud! :shock:

true story, i had a chief pilot from a company call me for a low time pilot to fly a R22. i sent him a candidate. the CP calls me back a week or so later asking about the pilot i sent him. "was he better than the rest....really good student? ect." i said no, a good kid but average, why? he said:

"because he is flying the R22 better than all the other guys i pulled in that trained 100 hours on the R22!!" :up:

2BanAviator, bottom line, everyone has trademark loyalty. everyone will give you THEIR opinion (myself included). YOU need to get out and visit the schools, talk to the instructors and make YOUR opinion because that's the one that counts!

it's a $#@tload of money you want to spend, spend it wisely...........

I was told by a few different people (including one who claimed to at one point have more 22 time then anyone else) that the R22 is horrible in the autorotation, and that pedal jams are alot harder, also told the quote from Mr. robinson himself.

I WAS however told on this forum, that it is the instructor, not the helicopter. That I can believe. Every company I talked to about what rig to fly for training gave me names of instructors (Bob at Coast Heli Collage, 412D, H56, Wendel at KVHC was a big hit with the people who have hired 100hour pilots, and lots more, but when it boiled down to it, the 47 and the 300 came up repeatedly)

So from all of these different suggestions and deductions, I found that the 22 was the least liked training machine I have heard of.

Of course, this is all at least second hand information. Ive heard of a few people that have left the R22 for the 300 because they liked it more, and my own personal reason is that the R22 doesnt treat big guys as myself so well, infact at one school I talked to I wouldve been limited to 1 or 2 instructors or low fuel.

Thats how I got that impression, but then you have guys such as Ryan that are doing well after they have trained on the 22.

Cole B)