Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Recognized As A Skilled Trade

gli77

Aviation is definitely its own small world. How qualified you are is all dependant on each persons' individual experience.

We all know what we do, and it is really a great industry to do what you want when you want when it comes to job opportunities. Do AMEs really need a defined recognition from outside beyond the license number and any endorsments?

Very well said Marc!

To that I would add that there exists in Canadian aviation a very wide spectrum of opportunities, employers, wages, and experience. My thoughts have always been that it is best to recognize the reality of the field we work in and set our sights and ambitions accordingly.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first left trade school I had th belief that AME's were on par with P. Engineers. Now that I've been in the industry for a number of years and I've worked along side both P. Engineers and tradesmen my opinion has changed. I think we are tradesmen and should be recognized as such. P. Engineers diffinatly have way more book learning behind them, but they live in a world of calculations to manage problems. They might spend six months studying a problem to come up with a solution that a tradesman would instinctivly(sp) come up with.

There's a long tradition of tradesmen going back to the stoneage tool makers. If it wasn't for the skills developed by the trades we'd still be eating berries and living in caves. To be a tradesmen you have to have pride in your work and a want to improve yours skills and pass them along to the next generation. Doesn't that describe most AME's?

Are we skilled? yes

Should we be reconized by Revenue Canada as skills workers? yes

Shoulds we be reconized as a Trade? yes

• 2 months later...

Well, this definition/link says we are definetly professionals:

A person who practices an occupation involving high standards of intellectual knowledge after successfully completing the required education and training.

www.faststart.state.ri.us/bfs_glossary.html

Someone above mentioned a P.Eng went to school longer so should be judged as a professional, but if you use that line of thought, how long does a "professional" pilot go to school??

R...

Not that it makes any difference but according to C.A.R.'s, the only priviledge that a Canadian AME license brings the holder of that license is the priviledge to certifiy that the work was done in accordance with the applicable airworthiness requirements. Weather or not this individual actually does the work or not is not at issue.

AME's are engineers the same as civil engineers are engineers because both receive formal training to be qualified to certify that the task in question was done properly.

The civil engineer sits in his pick up truck while the contractor performs the work. Once the work is done, he gets out of his truck, looks at the work and says ye or ney.

The AME puts on his technician's hat and does the work and then puts on his AME's hat (so to speak) to certify the work.

Someone referred to AME's as tradesmen. This is true in respect to the work they physically do on the aircraft.

When they certify that work, they are Engineers.

Confused yet??

I disagree with the Civil Engineer analogy.

An electrical engineer can design an electrical system or com system but an avionics guy is taught how it works, how to maintain it and fix it. The same applies to mechanical and aerospace engineers and AME's. A degree'd engineer works at a different level than an AME.

A professional engineer is considered a professional after they have sit their ethics exams etc, the same as doctors and lawyers. I don't think the title is meant to imply we are not professional at our jobs.

From my point of view I did not achieve the same level of education as a degree'd engineer. I consider it a misrepresentation to call myself an engineer, and am quite happy being a tech.

It was determined that we are a skilled trade, but unrestricted. Which means that anyone can work in the trade, as opposed to an electrician where they have a registered apprenticship and it is limited who can work in the trade.