Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Female Engineers

tweaker

Go figure....

Once again I taste shoe laces,

but why did you not tell us you were a gal?

Ah well so much for standing up in defense of women, I should know better...

as I'm constantly reminded.

As to your original post. The only time I worked with a female engineer she changed a starter. It somehow came loose and had to be (reinstalled by me in the field) or we wouldn't have got home. Second time was the charm and after inspection and reinstallation it worked flawlessly on subsequent flights. It could have happened to anyone.

Cheers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had three female engineers over the years in both F/W and R/W. They were average to above average in ability. It was a pleasure then and I'd do it again without thought. Tools don't know whether the person using them has a ****** or a ***** and I don't give a **** either. In fact, many times their presence on the scene keeps the conversations above the waistline for a change..........at least for those of us with a little bit of class left anyway.

Hey Fen,

Sounds like you just have some pent up agression, is that because you have such nasty teeth and the girls won't talk to you? lol

Just kidding....lol

MG

\

Nope, no pent up agression, just trying out some more sarcasm (which I know goes unnoticed in a printed form) :blink:

The teeth are part of me. and are a result of years and years with a good dental plan, but stuck far up north too long and unable to get south to see a real dentist.

I will clarify though, so that people don't think the wrong things about me (heaven forbid :wacko: ), I have worked with three Female engineers, and went to school with one of them. She is an awesome person, and a good engineer. In regards to the other two, one should have been at the cash register at walmart, the other had a good work ethic, but lacked the confidence to really excell. And that combination made her, just barely, an OK engineer. I'm not sure how many female apprentices the schools churn out now. The more the merrier I say....and I will apply to the first company (regardless of track record, pay, rotation schedules etc) that starts up as Hooters Helicopters and makes the female engineers wear that uniform :punk:

Interesting topic to start, Tweaker. I figured no one would mind if I jumped in; as (to quote Ani D'Franco) "in a man's world I am a woman by birth".

Before I went to school I worked as an aircraft cleaner in a large hangar, with all men...and I loved my job. The guys were funny, friendly, super encouraging and supportive and any resistance I encountered was in the form of 'I'll be over here if you need to talk to me'. Most of the time, when I first step in to a group of engineers they have walls of uneasy silence, as they are expecting me to ki-bosh all the gutter humour, get insulted way too easy and not be able to lift anything. Once they found that I don't do any of those; they would loosen up.

Now that I've earned my licence (I know someone mentioned one mechanic that didn't have a whole lot of confidence..and I KNOW I used to fit that bill...but its a work in progress) I find that 80% of the problems and preconceptions that the guys carry into working with me are from the 'legends' of the women that have tried to make it before me. The ones that wouldn't even 'TRY' to lift a pail of oil onto the wing of a DC-6, or wouldn't roll up their sleeves and get involved, instead they would turn up there nose. I especially have grown to resent the 'I am woman and therefore better than any man here' attitude that I hear about on occasion.

I regard the men that I work with as collegues, mentors and, when I can, friends. More often than not they have the experience that i desperately want and you can catch a lot more bees with honey that having a sour attitude. 5% of the problems that I've encountered working with men is the way I express my own attitude; another 5% is how HE expressed HIS; and the last 10% is just plain old 'lost in translation' issues.

I find that from what I have been told that I have a greater patience to complete the most grueling and tedious tasks, where most guy engineers would have said 'F*** it' a long time ago...that also means that I get handed those tasks more often, which doens't do any wonders for me either. I know that i have nothing but respect and gratitude for a lot of the people in general that have helped me in my career, wether they be man or woman...but due to the present ratios alot of them are men. Because of those legends even *I* cringe at the thought of working with one of 'those'...but the one other woman engineer I've worked with, she and I got along really well, and I consider her a close friend.

Okay, I've rambled me piece now....

Interesting topic to start, Tweaker. I figured no one would mind if I jumped in; as (to quote Ani D'Franco) "in a man's world I am a woman by birth".

Before I went to school I worked as an aircraft cleaner in a large hangar, with all men...and I loved my job. The guys were funny, friendly, super encouraging and supportive and any resistance I encountered was in the form of 'I'll be over here if you need to talk to me'. Most of the time, when I first step in to a group of engineers they have walls of uneasy silence, as they are expecting me to ki-bosh all the gutter humour, get insulted way too easy and not be able to lift anything. Once they found that I don't do any of those; they would loosen up.

Now that I've earned my licence (I know someone mentioned one mechanic that didn't have a whole lot of confidence..and I KNOW I used to fit that bill...but its a work in progress) I find that 80% of the problems and preconceptions that the guys carry into working with me are from the 'legends' of the women that have tried to make it before me. The ones that wouldn't even 'TRY' to lift a pail of oil onto the wing of a DC-6, or wouldn't roll up their sleeves and get involved, instead they would turn up there nose. I especially have grown to resent the 'I am woman and therefore better than any man here' attitude that I hear about on occasion.

I regard the men that I work with as collegues, mentors and, when I can, friends. More often than not they have the experience that i desperately want and you can catch a lot more bees with honey that having a sour attitude. 5% of the problems that I've encountered working with men is the way I express my own attitude; another 5% is how HE expressed HIS; and the last 10% is just plain old 'lost in translation' issues.

I find that from what I have been told that I have a greater patience to complete the most grueling and tedious tasks, where most guy engineers would have said 'F*** it' a long time ago...that also means that I get handed those tasks more often, which doens't do any wonders for me either. I know that i have nothing but respect and gratitude for a lot of the people in general that have helped me in my career, wether they be man or woman...but due to the present ratios alot of them are men. Because of those legends even *I* cringe at the thought of working with one of 'those'...but the one other woman engineer I've worked with, she and I got along really well, and I consider her a close friend.

Okay, I've rambled me piece now....

Well said Valkiron.mtc!! As an "Old F-rt", I would cheerfully work alongside you any day of the week. You have an excellent attitude. Keep up the good posts!

My Best Regards

Splitpin

Hey,

What about black pilots? Or are there any known Hermaphrodite wrenches? What about Japanese avionic techs? I hear they have great abilities because of all their imports. Or how about black-french-ex-navy-women with political science degrees who married loggers and started their own helicopters companies but still had implants because the money and hard work couldn't keep their self-esteem afloat?

Who gives a #%$%. Maybe this is Hurler starting another thread under a new IP.

It doesnt matter. Either you are good at what you work at or you are not. You can be a good wrench. You can be a good pilot. You cannot be a good bigot/racist/discriminating employee. If you are pre-occupied with your sexuality in the workplace you should go home.

It's not a boring topic, but it brings everything down to a level that I would think you to be a hypocrite to fire it up if you are a woman tweaker.

No need, no need. I'll stop now.