Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Good Books To Own?

Daz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever read Cyclone, or something like that, by James Clavell, about evacuation of all the choppers in Iran during the Islamic revolution?

I was told to stay away from it, cause there was some action scene he'd written, a fight in a 206 between the pilot and terrorist, and the pilot is throw out of the the helicopter, terrorist thinks he's done for and is at the controls, pilot catches the horizontal stabilizer, pulls himself back in the jetbox, "runs through the cabin" and tackles the terrorist, catching him by surprise.... :wub:

Wilbur Smith's 'Angel in the Sky' is entertaining. And the Pilot's Wife is a good one, anyone thinking of overseas work or polygamy should read that.

• 4 weeks later...

I had Shawn Coyles book about a year before I started my flight training, I found it easy to read and clear from Day 1, I still pick it up once a week or so to read bits and peices. Its got a lot more info in it then Wagtendonks book.

Along with Fate is the Hunter from the fixed wing side of the coin another one I lend to people all the time is called "inside the sky" by William Langewiesche, whose father wrote another classic, Sitck and Rudder.

Hi

in addition to the above texts I would consider

The Private Helicopter Pilot's Guide by Stephen s. Sparrow. You can buy it online at

http://www.helicopterpilotsguide.com/

it is focussed on the R22 and private flying in the UK but much of it is applicable to flying any type anywhere and certainly explains each exercise very well with good diagrams.

Cheers