Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Foriegn Workers....

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I understand that some people get frustrated at Canadian job opportunities being filled by foreign workers, & that frustration may be justified. However I'd appreciate it if those people would consider the following points in their arguement -

1. If that foreigner walked out tomorrow is there a Canadian ready to take their place? Aren't the majority of the foreign pilots experienced, after all that's why they were allowed here in the first place? Sure there will be exceptions, I'm talking overall. I believe the HRSDC is working on the theory that foreigners are filling an experienced pilot shortage, not taking jobs from low timers. Most would agree that there is no place for low time foreign workers. Would an operator employ a low timer & send him into the bush if the foreigners weren't here? I don't know, but I doubt it so are they really taking your job?

2. Lets assume that everyone (including the HRSDC) agrees that foreigners should all go home now that a downturn has arrived, is it fair to expect them all to pack up & piss off overnight? It took a long time for the momentum to build & get the extra workers into Canada that the operators needed, so surely it's only fair that we allow for a "bleed down" of foreign workers over a period of years?

In summary I can see how Canadians would get upset if they thought job opportunities were being taken by foreigners, but CANADIAN operators in conjuction with the CANADIAN government have spent years trying to attract foreign workers here, so expecting it to change overnight due to 1 slow year is a bit naive.

I've never seen a foreign pilot at Vancouver airport waving a gun around & demanding to be let in & given a work visa. Canada invited foreign workers in as a guest, & now the beers almost gone some want to kick them out on their arse. Poor form.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being of the older generation in this industry, I have always stated that **tching on this forum will get you nowhere, get some representaion. Unless you think you can handle it yourself!!!!!

I have added this article for your insight.

http://release.theplatform.com/content.sel...llwk6WjB5JE0zrF

Cheers, Don

Geez Don, no kidding.! tWhat I have learned is that for the most part the actors in this indusrty couldn't organize a fuuckfest in a whorehouse. Hepac is there I would hope that you guys have already fired off a letter on the changing situation. No? and advised the membership accordingly, of your concern . There has got to be at least 100 or so members by this time.

Heli Duck

I agree with you partially but I would be important to note that most of the pilots I have met are around the 500 to 1000mark that makes them low time pilots.. Many can't even produce a log book. There is alot of BS. I had one guy almost run out of the office when I asked to hold onto the log book for few hours. This being said the labour market stats are not a good reflection of the situation. A this time I know a few companies (no names) where at least 50 percent are on work visas. The fundemental problem here and the frustartion being felt by once employed Canadians is a real situation.

If this was not the case why does the issue keep its re surfacing consistantly. Of course the typical pea brain comment about beieng useless or not being good enough doesn't hold water .Certainly there are instances when its pure crap but there must be a root concern comming from a legitimate difficulty.

Seems that represenation is the key difficulty. Why isn't this new hepac group making the case?? Perhaps the leadership is not making the case or is blindly focused on other matters that don't address grass roots concerns. Who knows??

I am getting tired of the whole matter.

Heliduck: In 1988 I joined the federal government thinking I could do something for the industry, was I ever mistaken. I always thought that the treasury board had the final say over most major operations that go on in any department, big mistake, they are worse than most departments.

If you know of any company that has foreign crews working for them, ask them what the requirement is to bring these crews in, you will be surprised at how easy it is and the BS and I mean BS that has to be applied. Believe it or not it is not the foreign pilots taking advantage, it's the companies and the government. Government can't be blamed for their ignorance, but the companies and the industry as a whole can be blamed.

The industry has put up with de-regulation since it was imposed, BIG MISTAKE.

It reminds me of the small town that had one taxi, and he was making a decent living, then everybody else thought, hey, this looks like a good thing. So, the town ended up with three taxi's with the same requirement. Do I have to explain what happened?????

There is an overabundance of equipment and a lack of trained crews. Everybody likes to blame the government, but the government is not their to take your hand and teach you how to look after yourself (they can't even make up their mind on what kind of a safety management system to impose), the day the industry starts to look after itself, is the day that things will start to look up for everybody.

If DE-regulation is so great, look what it did to our industry and what about the food industry????

In previous posts I have made reference as to why CHC moved out of Canada and went strictly off-shore. It was because the "man" had VISION. The off-shore market is controlled by the OIL COMPANIES, not some nitpicking Canadian government department, who only have their agenda to be concerned with.

Don

Heliduck: In 1988 I joined the federal government thinking I could do something for the industry, was I ever mistaken. I always thought that the treasury board had the final say over most major operations that go on in any department, big mistake, they are worse than most departments.

If you know of any company that has foreign crews working for them, ask them what the requirement is to bring these crews in, you will be surprised at how easy it is and the BS and I mean BS that has to be applied. Believe it or not it is not the foreign pilots taking advantage, it's the companies and the government. Government can't be blamed for their ignorance, but the companies and the industry as a whole can be blamed.

The industry has put up with de-regulation since it was imposed, BIG MISTAKE.

It reminds me of the small town that had one taxi, and he was making a decent living, then everybody else thought, hey, this looks like a good thing. So, the town ended up with three taxi's with the same requirement. Do I have to explain what happened?????

There is an overabundance of equipment and a lack of trained crews. Everybody likes to blame the government, but the government is not their to take your hand and teach you how to look after yourself (they can't even make up their mind on what kind of a safety management system to impose), the day the industry starts to look after itself, is the day that things will start to look up for everybody.

If DE-regulation is so great, look what it did to our industry and what about the food industry????

In previous posts I have made reference as to why CHC moved out of Canada and went strictly off-shore. It was because the "man" had VISION. The off-shore market is controlled by the OIL COMPANIES, not some nitpicking Canadian government department, who only have their agenda to be concerned with.

Don

howdy!

Ready this post make me understand responces you gave me back in previous. And by the way,"it was totaly fair".

Somebody has to light up the thinks sometime and.....did great job...

what happen to a large Operator, having the need, and right now, for pilots?(PIC 500 to 1500 hrs)

there not gona trained new ones....! Is a contracted foreign become attractive? shure and very understandable....

Training new versatile pilot as to become 1st priority!!! WE NEED IT!

How can it be done soon?

I don't know how the whole conversion thing works for getting a Canadian liscence. Is there not some sort of minnimal PIC requirement to get it? Say 500hrs or 1000hrs. Why is there no pre-requset like there is with everything else. Would that not get rid of the competition problem between low timers from here and elsewhere. Then would it also not force companies to lower there minimal PIC requrements (thus creating a demand) and help new students from here get there first break. Take away the easy forigen hire card opperators have been useing to put meat in the seat, and force them to put time and money into bringing up junior pilots. I know its not very easy to come to this country and wrench. I have worked with lots of pilots from around the globe, but am yet to work with a AME that has gone through the conversion process. From what I understand the conversion is not the esaiest thing to do and durring it you can make more money driving a cab.

That being said. I think we all got into this industry because we wanted to travel and see new places. Im sure with the way things have slowed down this year there is going to be a lot of people looking for adventures and opprutunites elsewhere.

Supply and comand right?

I don't know how the whole conversion thing works for getting a Canadian liscence. Is there not some sort of minnimal PIC requirement to get it? Say 500hrs or 1000hrs. Why is there no pre-requset like there is with everything else. Would that not get rid of the competition problem between low timers from here and elsewhere. Then would it also not force companies to lower there minimal PIC requrements (thus creating a demand) and help new students from here get there first break. Take away the easy forigen hire card opperators have been useing to put meat in the seat, and force them to put time and money into bringing up junior pilots. I know its not very easy to come to this country and wrench. I have worked with lots of pilots from around the globe, but am yet to work with a AME that has gone through the conversion process. From what I understand the conversion is not the esaiest thing to do and durring it you can make more money driving a cab.

That being said. I think we all got into this industry because we wanted to travel and see new places. Im sure with the way things have slowed down this year there is going to be a lot of people looking for adventures and opprutunites elsewhere.

Supply and comand right?

im just Wondering what a french(france) operator would do to a new canadian guy apointing there to fly the alps!!!

curius!

"Le loup blanc(pascal)will let you know!!!

Hey Guys looking for work,here is an opportunity posted by CHC ( a Canadian Company)

Job Description:

CHC Helicopters (Australia) is a subsidiary of the CHC Helicopter Corporation and provides Emergency Medical Services, Search and Rescue and support to the Police oil and gas industry throughout Australia.

CHC Helicopter Corporation, with headquarters in Vancouver, is the world's largest provider of helicopter services to the global offshore oil and gas industry with aircraft operating in 30 countries and a team of approximately 3.400 professionals worldwide (www.chc.ca).

CHC operates specially equipped B412, AS332,AS365, S76, S92 aircraft at various locations throughout Australia and have bases at Mackay, Sydney, Orange, Wollongong, Canberra, Latrobe Valley, Bendigo, Jandakot, Sale, Williamtown, Tindal, Pearce, Darwin, Broome, Truscott and Melbourne. We also operate from Dili, East Timor into the Timor Sea.

We are seeking applications from suitable candidates for an Aircrewperson positions based at Sydney, New South Wales. Applicants must be able to demonstrate good communication skills, be highly motivated and have a good understanding of Search and Rescue/Emergency Medical Service functions.

The minimum requirements for this position are:

• Australian residency or Australian working visa

• Qualified Aircrewperson with 500 hours experience

• Bell 412 winch endorsement preferable

• St John Ambulance Senior First Aid Certificate or equivalent

• Winching qualifications

• Australian Class 2 CASA Medical Certificate

• SLSA “Bronze Medallion” or equivalent

• Previous experience in helicopter SAR/EMS operations (preferable)

Consideration may be given to applicants not meeting the above requirements, providing significant experience in SAR/EMS or Rescue has been obtained.

We offer,

• Excellent working conditions

• Scope for further development

• A wide variety of interesting work

If you are a QUALIFIED Aircrewperson, have Australian residency or an Australian visa and meet the minimum requirements, apply on-line today.

For overseas applicants, please note this is not a pilot vacancy.

Too bad you cannot get the job if you are not Australian, or have residency. Seems a little unfair if you ask me.

A lot of valid points made here, particularly about alleged falsified logbooks. I haven't seen it, but I have heard rumours about it & agree that if this is the case they should be kicked up the arse all the way home.

HEPAC have copped a bit of criticism, & as I'm not a member I wonder if they have been asked by their members to raise the issue with authorities? If they haven't been asked it may not be fair criticism that they haven't raised the issue.

Happyfeet - Re the Aussie job ad, it says "Australian residency or Australian working visa". This is the same requirement for employment with a Canadian company within Canada by a foreigner. You may have just misread it, but remember that if you keep your arguement based on facts & not emotion you will gain more credibility.