Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Biggest Problem With This Indusrty

Here is the actual quote. Slight variation of what I said.

"In developing the tool kit, the group aimed to win

acceptance of the SMS approach—and by extension the

group’s subsequent recommendations—from operators

of five or fewer helicopters. Such operators make up the

largest single segment of the civil helicopter industry,

approximately 80 percent, and are involved in the vast

majority of helicopter accidents"

“The real target audience is the operator of two to five

helicopters,” said B. Hooper Harris, manager of the

U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Accident

Investigation Division."

ASL 4/2008 pg 11

I think stats are computed by accidents per 100,000 hrs.

There are some fine small companies that started out from hobby beginnings or whatever, one accident however, will skew their stats big time as they don't fly the volume of a large operator.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who puts hobby pilots ( and I am still unclear exactly what this is) Private Pilot perhaps?? in with the Contract pilots who for the most part are the guys with senior level skills and can pick and choose who they work for. Please clarify Skids Up!

Let's see if I can.

As I have no idea what a hobby pilot is, I kind of thought that RonnyRotor was saying that anyone who isn't a full time professional, taking their job seriously, was a hobby pilot.

I just made the comparison as some contract types don't (and don't want to), work full time. Nothing against their abilities and or skills.

I had no intention of saying contract pilot were hobby pilots (sorry if it sounded like that) but again, it seemed that the original post only allowed for one type of pilot.

My mistake and my apologies to contract people...

Qoute from Mr Harris....

"approximately 80 percent, and are involved in the vast majority......"

Mr Harris, please help me out here as you are should be an expert in this area..........but, shouldn't a group that consists of "approximately 80 percent" be "involved in the vast majority" of almost anything.......whether it be accidents, owning blue helicopters, enjoying swiss cheese in their ham sandwiches, or whatever statistic you want.

Now, is their RATE of accidents actually higher????

My compliments for trying to help such a large group with what will (therefore) be a large problem...but let's not twist the figures too much.

the fact that there are WAY to many hobby pilots in this industry that are being subsidized by top earning spouses , parents and other means and really could care less if they get paid as long as they get the title of "HELICOPTER PILOT"

I think you've got it backwards. See, the 'hobby pilot' dosen't care if he loses his job or dosen't get a lot of work, because he can just walk away.

Operator- "Wanna sit in a mosquito infested swamp all day for no mins?"

Hobby Pilot- "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" [Cartman voice]

Operator- "Wanna do 6 and 2 rotations?"

Hobby Pilot- "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Operator- "You're going to have to fudge your time sheet to make the 42 and 5 work this time around"

Hobby Pilot- "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

They help keep the operators honest, when the demands become unreasonable.

Waa Waa Waa!

All I hear on here is guys whining about how some one is taking thier job. :down:

If I had to guess, do a better job and no one will take it. :blink:

I've been around helis for a while, hated by some - liked by most. Actualy most who hate me I used to work for. But you know what, if you work hard, be accountable for your mistakes, take care of your equipment, and keep the customers happy, you will always have a job and make decent money. Did I say, take care of the customers. :D

If the customer is happy and you take care of your machine, this industry is full of oportunities. If you complain and *****, you will find your self searching for a job. Because of what we do and the cost involved, we are always the most expensive contractor on the job. So just getting it done with out being a pain in the *** is what you need to do! It's a hard job, ****, it's suposed to be!!! ;)

Given 2 candidates, 1 from CA and 1 from OZZ, at an even standard. I have trouble believing any redneck would choose the later. And I have never meet a " hobby pilot " truely compete with a guy in carharts. It's all about getting it done! I don't mind bragging about my success, "All" of the graduates from Premier Helicopter Training are working, thats because we focus on the job, Not the licence!!! You can't buy it, you have to earn it. B)

Rob

Waa Waa Waa!

All I hear on here is guys whining about how some one is taking thier job. :down:

If I had to guess, do a better job and no one will take it. :blink:

I've been around helis for a while, hated by some - liked by most. Actualy most who hate me I used to work for. But you know what, if you work hard, be accountable for your mistakes, take care of your equipment, and keep the customers happy, you will always have a job and make decent money. Did I say, take care of the customers. :D

If the customer is happy and you take care of your machine, this industry is full of oportunities. If you complain and *****, you will find your self searching for a job. Because of what we do and the cost involved, we are always the most expensive contractor on the job. So just getting it done with out being a pain in the *** is what you need to do! It's a hard job, ****, it's suposed to be!!! ;)

Given 2 candidates, 1 from CA and 1 from OZZ, at an even standard. I have trouble believing any redneck would choose the later. And I have never meet a " hobby pilot " truely compete with a guy in carharts. It's all about getting it done! I don't mind bragging about my success, "All" of the graduates from Premier Helicopter Training are working, thats because we focus on the job, Not the licence!!! You can't buy it, you have to earn it. B)

Good on ya Rob. Give all these guys a little whine check. A wise chicken farmer I know says "If the part of your job you hate is that it is hard work then you are finished." All jobs have that if you expect to exeed or succeed OLD