Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Giving Us A Bad Name

Bar C

from cbc news

A 51-year-old Montreal man has been rescued but his 44-year-old spouse was found dead Tuesday after 10 days in the backcountry near the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort at Golden, B.C.

The couple apparently got lost while skiing out of bounds at the resort on Feb. 15.

But neither police nor search and rescue teams began ground searches until Tuesday, despite helicopter pilots twice reporting they saw an SOS symbol carved into the snow.

The SOS was first spotted Feb. 17 by a heli-ski pilot and Golden and District Search and Rescue was notified, according to a statement released Wednesday morning by the RCMP.

AND

SOS spotted a second time

Four days later, a helicopter pilot spotted the SOS symbol again, and this time it was reported it to police. /www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/02/25/bc-kicking-resort-ski-resort-rescue.html

I would hope if you ever spot an SOS out there you take it serious, sounds to me like a life was lost because of laziness, and I hope you never have to rely on pilot 1 if you carve an SOS out in the wild.

I mean wouldn't ya think if you were out there and saw an SOS you wouldn't stop looking even if you did tell the district, I mean they couldn't have been far from the SOS, as it turns out a PILOT saw the guy on the ground waving, good grief. I guess if your not getting paid it's not your problem or what is it? who would do something like this? Is the pilot that scared of his job from the operator that he wouldn't just say guys we have to check this out until we know for sure, .... who knows maybe I'M jumping the gun here but sure sounds like a cluster suck to me.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from cbc news

A 51-year-old Montreal man has been rescued but his 44-year-old spouse was found dead Tuesday after 10 days in the backcountry near the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort at Golden, B.C.

The couple apparently got lost while skiing out of bounds at the resort on Feb. 15.

But neither police nor search and rescue teams began ground searches until Tuesday, despite helicopter pilots twice reporting they saw an SOS symbol carved into the snow.

The SOS was first spotted Feb. 17 by a heli-ski pilot and Golden and District Search and Rescue was notified, according to a statement released Wednesday morning by the RCMP.

AND

SOS spotted a second time

Four days later, a helicopter pilot spotted the SOS symbol again, and this time it was reported it to police. /www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/02/25/bc-kicking-resort-ski-resort-rescue.html

I would hope if you ever spot an SOS out there you take it serious, sounds to me like a life was lost because of laziness, and I hope you never have to rely on pilot 1 if you carve an SOS out in the wild.

I mean wouldn't ya think if you were out there and saw an SOS you wouldn't stop looking even if you did tell the district, I mean they couldn't have been far from the SOS, as it turns out a PILOT saw the guy on the ground waving, good grief. I guess if your not getting paid it's not your problem or what is it? who would do something like this? Is the pilot that scared of his job from the operator that he wouldn't just say guys we have to check this out until we know for sure, .... who knows maybe I'M jumping the gun here but sure sounds like a cluster suck to me.

I would caution you to wait until you get facts before passing judgment. Initial reports from the media are almost always missing critical info and light on the facts. No point in letting what is actually happening get in the way of a good story.

Yup you can always find a reason NOT to do your job can't ya,..... keep them coming, stick up for this kind of behavior, I don't what you guys are taught now a days," marginal wx, low fuel, he saw the friggin sign didn't he and then again someone else saw it then told the police, and oh ya think your duty is over cause you reported it, you were right there LOOK for crying out loud

Did anybody at all, especially the topic starter, even read the article that he linked to!?!?!?! It CLEARLY says that the pilot(s) and guide(s) reported it THREE TIMES , and that when the pilot actually saw the guy, he couldnt land there (its a ****in mountain!) and took a GPS reading to help the ground searchers.

Sounds to me like the ski company did what they could do to help. Correct me if I'm wrong?