Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Giving Us A Bad Name

Bar C

Not putting any blame on anyone, nor would I ever. I wasn't there and it's always a tragedy when a life is lost. However, the whole situation speaks volumes about going into snowy backcountry without an avalanche rescue beacon (whether your intent is skiing, sledding, hiking or whatever), cellphones, emergency supplies AND word to family/friends on plans and ETA back. Folks just can't know/help otherwise. *Sigh* It's a terrible shame what happened, as will be the ensuing events sure to unfold yet. Be safe, all.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If someone notified us in one of our areas to an SOS we would take it upon ourselves to investigate. It would seem the "Golden Rule" would apply here! (and no pun intended) A call was made two days after they got lost. Tragedy could have been averted, but apparently other more important issues took precedent over a potential rescue effort. The Golden area is blessed with some of the best rescue personnel in the province..too bad they were not in the loop from the beginning.

"I don't what you guys are taught now a days," marginal wx, low fuel, he saw the friggin sign didn't he"

So then your looking for 2 lost skiers AND a missing 205.

It's a moot point anyway, the helicopter was not there in the initial stages anyway. And when the pilot DID see the sign and the survivor he referred it to the people qualified to conduct the operation. You don't get to be a medium pilot flying Heli-ski without a pretty solid idea of what you can and can't do. If he could have picked the guy up safely I'm sure he would have, however rolling up a machine full of people trying to save someone makes you the star of a PDM video, not a hero on the evening news.

As a side note, they had checked out of their hotel, if no one knows to look for you how will anyone know your lost? Something to think about if you ever take off with out some sort of flight watch/flight follower......

Land and shutdown?.......in the golden area, ceeehriste, let alone in a medium! get out much?dude, YOU make us look bad. You find it pretty easy to be a hero sitting in front of your computer don't you.

Back to the topic, Not knowing all the facts, I still find myself questioning the SAR team's decision, or maybe the RCMP's decision. Any SOS must be taken seriously I would think. This is a very tragic story no doubt. But the biggest question I have to ask is what where they doing out of bounds that un-prepard?

I was guilty of it many times myself, watching to many ski movies ripp'in the narl get'in the fresh powpow on the blue birds!...until I got burried, I got lucky, gotta have A LOT of respect for the mtn. A bad decision on the victims part is the only fact.

I am curious about one thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. If you marked an SOS in the snow and you heard a helicopter, wouldn't you try to make yourself visable? Wouldn't you go stand out by the SOS where you could be seen? I don't know who spotted the SOS but I would think they would have at least flown a circuit or two around it. Something doesn't sound right.

It sounds like the SOS was seen by a ski guide who was off duty...I think we need to stop assuming that they were seen from the air. Who knows how far away the guide was or how big the letters in the snow were. But you're right wrench, wouldn't you stay close to the sign? Then again, how clearly are you thinking after 9 days lost, eating leaves and a granola bar?

Mark