Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot's Families

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for thinking of us Elvis.

Being married to an engineer who has spent the last 10 years remote brings with it the same emotions that a pilot's wife experiences.

I cherish the times he is home and he says he does too :huh: .

When he's away of course the anxiety kicks in, I try to stay busy and having children makes that easier to do, I try my hardest not to think of the worst case scenarios, its tough as **** but like Eagle Eyez mum says it will make you sick, so for my sake I have my glass of wine or two or :blur: , say a quick prayer to someone up there and wait for my nightly sat phone call. If it doesn't come I tell myself its the darn signal again and know he will call when its back up.

My husband does everything in his power to keep you guys safe up there doing the thing you guys love so much. No shortcuts, no good to go if there is doubts.

So I ask you fellow pilots a little favour, if he's up there with you on a check ride, do everything in your power to keep him safe for me.

We have been to too many services in his time in this industry, as have many of you. Whether it is a pilot,engineer, ground crew or any husband in any industry, you all need to stay safe doing what you love doing. And us wives have to sit back knowing that you will all do your damnedest to be back home safe with us and the kids at the end of your shift.

Thanks for thinking of us Elvis.

Being married to an engineer who has spent the last 10 years remote brings with it the same emotions that a pilot's wife experiences.

I cherish the times he is home and he says he does too :huh: .

When he's away of course the anxiety kicks in, I try to stay busy and having children makes that easier to do, I try my hardest not to think of the worst case scenarios, its tough as **** but like Eagle Eyez mum says it will make you sick, so for my sake I have my glass of wine or two or :blur: , say a quick prayer to someone up there and wait for my nightly sat phone call. If it doesn't come I tell myself its the darn signal again and know he will call when its back up.

My husband does everything in his power to keep you guys safe up there doing the thing you guys love so much. No shortcuts, no good to go if there is doubts.

So I ask you fellow pilots a little favour, if he's up there with you on a check ride, do everything in your power to keep him safe for me.

We have been to too many services in his time in this industry, as have many of you. Whether it is a pilot,engineer, ground crew or any husband in any industry, you all need to stay safe doing what you love doing. And us wives have to sit back knowing that you will all do your damnedest to be back home safe with us and the kids at the end of your shift.

You're right M1/2Wife, it starts on the ground... Pilots spouses hope the engineers/ground crew do there job and vice versa, because at some stage they're in the air together.

I get a little "tense" when watching engineers work on the heli, so many little bolts, and 'bits and pieces', excuse my ignorance - that all play a part in a machines operation, and I think 'what if they forgot to do something up'??!

Its quite unsettling when you see engineers/pilots out on the p*ss all night... and then turning up to work the next day hungover. Everyone knows what a hangover feels like, and if its bad enough - your concentration and the tiredness of a late night must hinder your ability to concentrate 100%. I know most take their job seriously, but for any who turn up 'sporting beer breath', please remember the machines are only as safe as the tightest bolt, and the pilot flying them.

I wont speak for my wife, but I will honor her. I have thanked her over and over as I have left and gone off to the bush and as she has put up with me as I have saught a career in this crazy industry. Thanks to her and her support of my dream I am still a heli-pilot. Thanks for your patience support and love through the years Dearest!!!

Koala

I wont speak for my wife, but I will honor her. I have thanked her over and over as I have left and gone off to the bush and as she has put up with me as I have saught a career in this crazy industry. Thanks to her and her support of my dream I am still a heli-pilot. Thanks for your patience support and love through the years Dearest!!!

Koala

that's a nice post....i'll second that whole heartedly! :up:

that's a nice post....i'll second that whole heartedly! :up:

Yep. I'm married 29yrs now and thank you baby for being so understanding all these years.

When I brought up once how hard it must be for her she replied " I knew what you did when I married you" Makes a strong argument for trial marriages for young heli couples.

Ladies (and Gents),

Firstly, I hope you all are well and enjoying the "nicer" weather now. I am starting my flight training in Sept. this year and have spent many sleepless nights thinking about my current career move and it's possible implications. A little background: I am currently a nurse with enough experience to allow me great job security. Now, a few months prior to getting married (Aug/09) I decided that I could no longer hide from my dreams and had to fly helicopters. Understandably so this has been difficult for my now wife as we have some pilot (fixed-wing) friends and they have been very kind as to not only warn her persistently about the high divorce rates among pilots but also about the dangers involved with flying helicopters. (Never mind the financial investment).

Now, do you have any advice? Please be honest. I have been fed stats like, "You can expect to be on a month on month off schedule". How do you find the schedules? Note that I am a flight virgin.

How do you bend your minds around the cost of tuition (especially in this social climate)? We have already saved the tuition. What can I expect?

Any advice will be helpful. I have been researching these various subjects endlessly and have found it difficult to find truthful/objective answers.

Thank you so much. I hope you all have a great summer.

Cheers,

Cool Hand Luke

Ladies (and Gents),

Firstly, I hope you all are well and enjoying the "nicer" weather now. I am starting my flight training in Sept. this year and have spent many sleepless nights thinking about my current career move and it's possible implications. A little background: I am currently a nurse with enough experience to allow me great job security. Now, a few months prior to getting married (Aug/09) I decided that I could no longer hide from my dreams and had to fly helicopters. Understandably so this has been difficult for my now wife as we have some pilot (fixed-wing) friends and they have been very kind as to not only warn her persistently about the high divorce rates among pilots but also about the dangers involved with flying helicopters. (Never mind the financial investment).

Now, do you have any advice? Please be honest. I have been fed stats like, "You can expect to be on a month on month off schedule". How do you find the schedules? Note that I am a flight virgin.

How do you bend your minds around the cost of tuition (especially in this social climate)? We have already saved the tuition. What can I expect?

If you are worried About your relationship there is a easy way to protect it. 1 Respect your partener is the most important thing because if you give respect you get respect.2 Pants were created with a zipper keep it in the up position and you will have way less problems.3 When on the road keep in contact with your partener.4 Schedules are a rare thing in the Industry but they are neccessary at home you will have to be aware that being away so much you become a third wheel at home. :):):):)

Any advice will be helpful. I have been researching these various subjects endlessly and have found it difficult to find truthful/objective answers.

Thank you so much. I hope you all have a great summer.

Cheers,

Cool Hand Luke