Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

And The Winner Is.......

Cosmo

I had a young friend do a check ride with one of the low bidders, maybe even the winner. Now were just splitting hairs

He did a ferry ride from Springbank too FSJ and when he got there was told to put 2 hrs in the log book.

I think some companies just catch better tail winds than others. I could be wronng though.

Well isn't that funny, I can back that up,I heard the same thing from a pilot that worked at maybe the same company, I didn't want to say anything on here but if the cat is out..... He did a big ferry and was told to leave it out all together..he quit right there. It would be neat to see an auditor look at the flight tickets and the log book now wouldn't it? that is crap!! :angry: <_<

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well isn't that funny, I can back that up,I heard the same thing from a pilot that worked at maybe the same company, I didn't want to say anything on here but if the cat is out..... He did a big ferry and was told to leave it out all together..he quit right there. It would be neat to see an auditor look at the flight tickets and the log book now wouldn't it? that is crap!! :angry: <_<

You know, it's funny. We were all at the hangar here yeasterday talking about the exact same company, exact same thing. We too had a guy come from there last year and heard all of the same stories. We all seem to know what they are up to, unless every single person who leaves there is lying (Occam's razor is pretty appropriate here, the simlest explanation tends to be the right one).

Where the F is transport??? They don't seem to be shy in hassling the rest of us!!!!

Question for all you Alberta intermediate helicopter operators.

It was mentioned that only a couple weeks prior to this bid win of $944 the Alberta helicopter operators where at a ASRD forestry roundup meeting were rates were discussed.

DID ANY OPERATOR STAND UP AND DIRECTLY ASK THE QUESTION OF ASRD ON THE SUBJECT OF UNREALISTIC LOW RATES BEING OFFERED AND WHAT ASRD THOUGHT ABOUT THEM AND WHY THEY EXCEPT THEM??????

If not, why not???

JUST WONDERING???

It was mentioned that only a couple weeks prior to this bid win of $944 the Alberta helicopter operators where at a ASRD forestry roundup meeting were rates were discussed.

DID ANY OPERATOR STAND UP AND DIRECTLY ASK THE QUESTION OF ASRD ON THE SUBJECT OF UNREALISTIC LOW RATES BEING OFFERED AND WHAT ASRD THOUGHT ABOUT THEM AND WHY THEY EXCEPT THEM??????

If not, why not???

JUST WONDERING???

I’m sure that with the new SMS safety system incorporated and with fewer and less strenuous inspections, that this “unnamed” company will be able to turn itself around!!!!!! Incidentally, I had similar experiences with this same company. TC appears unwilling to properly ensure that the public is protected from unscrupulous operators. In the recent accident report about the privately operated twin engine Piper that crashed killing all onboard near Edmonton, the company SMS system failed as it was operating grossly overloaded and poorly maintained. Is it possible that anyone can seriously think now that SMS will work without an effective oversight system?

well I dont know about the rest of you but ,, if we run a base and do it by the book dot our i and cross our t , take pride in our work and our equipment, and are in this for the long haul , why dosnt , the goverment ,weather its the alberta , bc, ont, sask , cta, transport , enforcement aswell as the hac , where do we draw the line , really if the alberta government dictates how much they are willing to pay per flight hour and per stand-by hour (unused)mins, then how can they allow an operator to bid and operate for them at a loss, time after time ,do you or your customers really want to be fliying around with these guys , do you think the oil companies , they`re safety departments, are looking into this , they should be , black list these guys from the $$$$$ .

obviously the alberta gov spent lots of money on suerveys and consultants before they came out with the rate plans ,lol , for what reasons where they done ??? oh ya so they would not get screwed over , and send their employees out in safe aircraft. safe aircraft .

I bet if enforcement checked the log book to the tower records and matched flight ticket dates and hours , and what about the satilite tracking that forestry has access too , to they actually look to match ferry times , chargeable times to flight tickets and log books . they should be its a safety issue . overflying hours for inspections , overflying the hours of a part that has a life of so many hours . well I bet we would hear a lot of NOTICE OF SUSPENSIONS and companies getting closed by the insurance companies too would and should be looking hard at what is happening , any incident or accident they should rake them over the coals check everything ,

the point is if a honest clean company is giving it a honest try by the book , then the local goverment should be looking after them . if its under 200 hours of flying on a job then use the rotation of all on the field , that live there , not tender it out a 50 or 100 hour contract to the lowest crook that gives nothing back to its community ,

I went thru the recession of 81/82.

It was brutal for operators. Prices were slashed and it took 4 years before the rates went to where they needed to be. Alot of good companies went under because some companies with no dept and deep pockets dropped rates so low that they must have been covering only wages.

The company I was working for made a deal with a drilling rig to feed and house me and use the helicopter if they needed it. But we didn't drop our rates into the toilet!

We survived but it was hard times. Leaving money on the table is poor management.

What will be next....SAFETY?

If not, why not???

JUST WONDERING???

No, we did not think of it at the time.... Shux, I knew we forgot something.