Afghanistan Helicopters

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US government is looking to place another 50 civilian helicopters into Afghanistan.

https://www.fbo.gov/spg/ODA/USTC/USTRANSCOM...lo/listing.html

Looks as though the Canadians already there have done a great job of paving the way for those that follow, keep up the good work gang. Safe journeys to those that go.

Jiggler

Now that the country is descending into ever great depths of violence in insecurity... Sounds like a great idea.

AR

Just remember, in the mad rush to chase all those opportunities to get into a medium/heavy, that this is a war zone. The reason the customer wants 2 pilots isn't to read checklists, it is for redundancy. 90% of the flying is boring shuttle work, the other 10% isn't.

During our time here there have been tours where there is almost no incident on the base we live in. Other tours the rockets/mortars come in daily/nightly for a while or just the odd day.

Things explode in the city around you and the IED's are real. People you get know go out and may not come back.

The bad guys will shoot at a helicopter, especially when it is parked.

I won't say do not take the job if it is offered to you but make yourself aware of where you will be going and what you are doing before you commit.

I have a question.. I am not very sharp on international regulations...

Reading the link it explains that the contract requires the operator to work under FAA 135 & 133

How would a Canadian or other National be able to work for these Operators?

I just assumed that the pilots would need to be licensed to work in the USA to get on the payroll? Am i way off the mark and will it be possible for Non US pilots to go work for companies that win these potential contracts? Without US work permits etc..

I would certainly be interested in working in Afghanistan and i would appreciate any advice on how to find my way to the door step of Company's working there..