Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

U.s Flight Schools In Canada

Full On

12. holders of an FAA license can obtain a 9 month Nafta B1B work visa to work in the USA. That market is huge and now available. That visa is renewable.

I'm not an expert in this field since I'm just starting my career, however I would hope any potential students are advised/warned they will need approx 2500/3000 hours with 100 hours min night time pic logged to qualify for those American EMS jobs... If their just starting their career then they'll need 1000 hours minimum for tours or offshore flying, and I would doubt operators would consider investing in a new pilots training knowing they'll risk losing that person in nine months...

Hi All,

I have watched with piqued interest in the debate about Red Eagle Aviation starting a flight school in Springbank......

I am the owner of Red Eagle and am not wanting to use the forum as a springboard or advertisement. It was started by someone else that has an opinion that he has a right to.

I want to clarify one thing......my goal is to hire CANADIAN Flight instructors and I am in the process of trying to find qualified instructors that fit our company. I have no desire to take jobs from anyone and in fact will be giving Canadian Pilots an opportunity that was not available before ..............either Instructing or just Flying.

Fly Safe,

Jim Pierce

Hi All,

I have watched with piqued interest in the debate about Red Eagle Aviation starting a flight school in Springbank......

I am the owner of Red Eagle and am not wanting to use the forum as a springboard or advertisement. It was started by someone else that has an opinion that he has a right to.

I want to clarify one thing......my goal is to hire CANADIAN Flight instructors and I am in the process of trying to find qualified instructors that fit our company. I have no desire to take jobs from anyone and in fact will be giving Canadian Pilots an opportunity that was not available before ..............either Instructing or just Flying.

Fly Safe,

Jim Pierce

Is that because FAA will not LET EXAMINERS come to Canada to do examines as it is NOT OF FAA Standards?????? That is what was told by me in Renton WA, and by my FAA Delegate I deal with"

Is that because FAA will not LET EXAMINERS come to Canada to do examines as it is NOT OF FAA Standards?????? That is what was told by me in Renton WA, and by my FAA Delegate I deal with"

No......it is because I would rather have local Instructors that live here in Canada. Canadian instructors without an FAA License can still teach the FAA Curriculum.....as they are recognized by the FAA for the instruction requirements. Also there are Canadian Citizens that have their FAA instructor certificates already.

As far as the DPE is concerned they can do exminations in Canada.....as per FSDO

It appears that most “Up North” don’t understand the difference between instruction, learning and ability. Just because one takes instruction, they may have learned nothing, and even if one does, doesn’t mean they can apply it. This is the same for anyone, anywhere and in any country.

I can respect that you believe that Canadian pilots are the best because of the training. But to believe that a U.S. pilot couldn’t be trained as good or even better is childish thinking. You know “My Dad can beat up your Dad” syndrome. Bob Hoover, which most consider the best pilot ever, never said he was the best but said “He was afforded the opportunity to learn”. And a lot of this was without an instructor.

So what is “FAA Prices”? The FAA does NOT set prices. Prices are set because of free enterprise and competition. It appears that your gripe is because a company brought in a better training aircraft at about half the cost and can rent it to use solo. I do believe this is what is called competition? As with sports, competition makes everyone better and helps curb high prices. Thus, lower cost gives more opportunity to learn and more solo builds more confidence. You would be foolish not to believe that this new competition is not going to make your companies better.

In all of my job interviews never have I been asked what flight school I trained at. Not even what my written scores were (Except ATP). My qualifications listed on my resume are what got me the interview. What they looked most at are the hours logged and in what areas. Then only after an evaluation flight will they determine if you get the job.

It appears that a Canadian at 150 hours can start looking for a job? This won’t even get in for an interview. The FAA minimums are at least 500 hours and most won’t even look at you until after 1,000 hours. A lot of Air Ambulances now (with an ATP) are 2,000 and 500 to a 1,000 or more turbine. So why not fly good equipment at a savings, take a friend for a ride to help “share” the cost and get a lot more flying to make more opportunity to learn.

When you belittle or degrade someone or a competitor then that makes you no better than them.

Fly Safe

No......it is because I would rather have local Instructors that live here in Canada. Canadian instructors without an FAA License can still teach the FAA Curriculum.....as they are recognized by the FAA for the instruction requirements. Also there are Canadian Citizens that have their FAA instructor certificates already.

As far as the DPE is concerned they can do exminations in Canada.....as per FSDO

I am at a loss canam???????

Maybe you can guide me to an outlet where I can go and write my FAA ROTOR-CRAFT written exam here in Canada, and also when and where I can do my flight exam here in Canada, and have it registered with the FAA. I eagerly await your reply

HW

My turn! B)

If you receive FAA training you still must be recommended by a Canadian licensed instructor before taking the CPLH test. As a few of the "sales men" for this new venture have forgotten to mention, the standard is different. I have worked with FAA trained pilots toward their Canadian license and I can tell you from experience that a 15o hr pilot having been trained by a 500 hr US instructor is at about at the same level as a 50 hr Canadian student.

How is it possible for a training program that includes "BUILDING" time be at par? The system used in the US includes getting your instructor rating to BUILD time. A 500hr instructor' training the next 150hr instructor, must lead to a reduction in skill and knowledge.

Let’s take Auto's as an example, how can doing power recoveries with a 500 hr instructor and full ons with a 10,000 pilot be anywhere the same thing. Click here Premier Helicopter Training sample video

How about Confined Areas, do you really want me to believe a 500 hr Instructor can guide a student through the same decision making progress as a 10,000 Bush pilot, how do you get someone ready for the working Canadian environment when all you have done is circuits and "gravel bar landings"!

The average instructor in Canada has thousands of hours fighting fires, helilogging, drill moves, high mountain rescue, ECT. And you want me to believe a guy who has never slept in an Atco trailer can get you ready for this, I call B U L L S H I T!!!!!!!

If someone is looking to get a piece of paper saying they are a Licensed pilot, then I would have to say, “head over to see Jim and Jim Bob in Spring bank they will give you what you need to tell the Girls "you am a heli pilot". If you want to be ready to convince some old crusty redneck chief pilot he should trust you with his million dollar machine, his customers, his reputation and his insurance rates I recommend you get a proper training program, designed, maintained and executed by someone who has actually done the job you hope for.

There is no easy way to get into this industry, and there shouldn't be. If you can’t do a full on to the spot without any help and have never been pushed to your limit, If you think that the QUALITY of your training doesn't matter then you have no business with peoples’ lives in your hand. You should follow a new career path!

I hear all this talk about reducing the accident rates, and also that 80% of accidents are caused by pilot error, yet some think it is wise to get the easiest and cheapest license they can. Accidents are not caused because the pilot didn't know how to move his hands; they are caused by people who make bad decisions. My job as an instructor is not to help someone "BUILD" time; it’s to prepare them for that critical moment when their next decision could have catastrophic results if they are wrong! How can we get them ready for that, because in Canada our instructors have EXPERIANCED that critical moment in the most critical of moments!!!

So in closing, if you are looking for a cheap way to get an extra 50 hrs of BUILDING time, then go see Jim Bob, If you are looking to develop a solid bases for a successful career, I suggest you find a school and instructor who know what they are doing, not looking for loop holes to make it easy on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

Robs post is bang on.

It seems as though there is a "fixation" on flight hours, that gets drilled into the new recruits coming in to this industry.

A "lot" of that is caused by the schools themselves. The "train with us" and we will build your time as an instructor is a big seller in the U.S.

It seems as though "quanity" versus "quality" flight training, is accepted down there.

The F.A.A. and H.A.I. took to task better standards and a mentorship program for a lot of inexperienced instructors.......the reason.........high accident rates within the training schools.

Any new or prospective student should "always" check the credentials, experience, and track record of any flight training unit....north or south of the border. And that research should focus on the instructors themselves.

So how many "connections" and people working in the industry, does a low time instructor have or know?

How about comparing "that" to a highly experienced, seasoned, working pilot/instructor in the industry?

Experience brings not only "operational knowledge" of our industry to the students.....but also a network that may land them that first job, based on who they have trained with. ;)

Cheers, H56