Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Carrying A Rifle?

I would say any flight near the hudson bay coast you better have some iron with you...I have done it without but felt pretty dam stupid..polar bears are extremely dangerous..I have heard some stories...I was coming down the coast with a wrench as a passenger who wanted to do some fishing so I say okay I know some good spots to stop...so I do a good recon before landing and I giving betsy the 2 min cool down..my passenger can't wait to get fishing...he bails out..grabbing his fishing pole even though I warned him to wait so I could get my 12 gauge loaded up...I meet up with him...I have only the gun...he says aren't you going to fish..I say..you fish I will stand guard..he starts into me about being paranoid..we are standing in the low willow scrub brush that is the norm along the hudson bay coast...I start to see a lot of seals popping up in the river so I tell buddy lets go..he says whats the problem now...I tell him..lots of seals means the fish have been scared off and also guess what Mr Polar bear really likes for dinner next to a couple of dumb fishermen...I tell him I know a place south of churchill that is way better and safer...less bears...we go back to the machine...fire up ..lifting off we look out in front of us is a great big polar bear and just as we go over him he stands up as If to say come back here lunch...buddy just about fills his pants but now can't wait to take Mr bears pic...one quick pic and we are out off there...its a dangerous place...you better be prepared..I have lots of stories about taking stupid people out along the coast some were put off by me bringing a gun...others would not go unless we had guns..you do the math :shock:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some camps that don't allow firearms, but if it's a piece of survival equipment in the helicopter and you discuss it with them prior to going, it shouldn't be a problem. Not only can a rifle be used for self-defense, it can also be used to hunt for food if you're stuck in the bush with no way out and run out of sawdust rations.

when I'm not flying I work as a hunting guide. both bears and moose. Safety in bear country in almost solely a state of mind. with that said though I still buckle my seat belt (carry a firearm) whenever I'm off the pavement.

Dlask of Vancouver makes a 12.5" LEGAL barrel for the Remington 870 12ga. was my choice for the last few years for aircraft carry. fits nicely behind the seat of a big bell and gives you short length with the control of a full buttstock.

carrying a firearm does not make you armed - get some training and practice often. the first time something big and furry takes a run at you, you'll be in awe at how fast all that muscle and teeth can accelerate.

oh yeah, and slugs over buckshot, and 450gr Hardcast .458 over both ;)

Worked for 10 yrs in mining exploration (Ontario and east) followed by another 20 years flying helicopters (everywhere). Had a takedown 20 ga/.22 over/under in my bedroll, until I was in Grizz/polar bear country and then it was a folding stock Remington 870 12ga with slugs. The 12 ga was tucked out of sight in the helicopter (all the time). Fortunately never needed either, but it was close one time south of Chetwynd BC.

I remember a particular engineer named Barry....he was a mini rambo...and he saved all our lives at camp.

what he did was totally a show of bravery and I admire him for his skill.

when he first saw the bear about half mile from camp, he set his plan into effect. he got his gear, guns, knives (and i do believe facepaint and camo jacket) together and kept a watchful eye on our wandering intruder. We felt safe in Barry's hands. He was here to protect us.

Several hours after the bear was spotted, and almost 6 km's away Barry slayed the beast that strayed with-in sight of our camp.

Without Barry, I think one of us in camp could have been bear food.

Thank you Barry for being young fit and determined to save us from impending doom.

Dlask of Vancouver makes a 12.5" LEGAL barrel for the Remington 870 12ga. was my choice for the last few years for aircraft carry. fits nicely behind the seat of a big bell and gives you short length with the control of a full buttstock.

This is actually what I use as well. Not just the barrel though but the whole 870 Grizzly from Dominion Arms. I got a telescopic stock for the butt and its still over the legal requirement for 26 inches at its minimum length to remain unrestricted. As far as firearms are concerned since its a chinese import its quite inexpensive, so if it gets a little beat up in the bush it isn't going to make me loose sleep.