Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flying In The Arctic

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the formula I was looking for Use that and have sun charts and you should be ok should your GPS #### the bed.

That's cool. Thanks. I just did a test: (10 am) = 15Z x 15 = 225 - 81LONG = 144 degrees true to sun. Its pretty darn close. However, it didn't work very well last night when I flew back here. lol.

Had to reply to the statement by SuddenStop where the senerio was given laying there with a broken back. He is right for the need of having SAR closer at hand,as I was in that situation. I had two pax. with me when everything went to crap. I was able to get my pax out of the ship and to shore but in my run for the shore from the thin ice we crashed on, my back and legs quit working and so ended up laying on the ice for 27 to 28hrs,about 200 miles north of Resolute Bay and I can say I would not wish this on anyone, paralysis from the waist down watching the polars going back and forth looking at you like your their next meal.And know that there is not a system in place to help in a timely manner. Anyone that has done time up there knows that it is not a very forgiving place. And with the ever increasing activity up there I think that Resolute would be a good location for a SAR base.

Had to reply to the statement by SuddenStop where the senerio was given laying there with a broken back. He is right for the need of having SAR closer at hand,as I was in that situation. I had two pax. with me when everything went to crap. I was able to get my pax out of the ship and to shore but in my run for the shore from the thin ice we crashed on, my back and legs quit working and so ended up laying on the ice for 27 to 28hrs,about 200 miles north of Resolute Bay and I can say I would not wish this on anyone, paralysis from the waist down watching the polars going back and forth looking at you like your their next meal.And know that there is not a system in place to help in a timely manner. Anyone that has done time up there knows that it is not a very forgiving place. And with the ever increasing activity up there I think that Resolute would be a good location for a SAR base.

WOW, what a story. You should write a book about that, our worst night mare come true. Ditto on an arctic SAR base.

Thats quite the experience to have to go through. We do a lot of work up there from March to late Sept. And that sort of thing is always in the back of my mind. Your a long ways from anything up there. Not a place to let your ego take over or take chances. I like knowing we have a few A/C scattered all around. At times there is a Griffin or too in Eureka or Alert in the middle of summer but not for long. The Arctic is a big place and that could be a days flight or more to were ever help is needed. Borek has a few bases one in Resolute, Iqualiut. Ive seen them boys land the twin otter is some rough places but its still no helicopter. Hard job to repel out of it! Resolute would be a good spot for an SAR base. Why not with all the talks of Arctic Sonvernty lately. I say stick a helicopter and a plane up there. But I cant see it happening any time soon. Only advice I can give (Iam VFR only) is don't be in a hurry (nutting happens in a hurry in the arctic anyway) have grub with you also a gun (bears will be watching and were not talking those little black puppy ones). In the summer theres all kinds of day light, helps with en route weather. And always be on the look out for fuel. Theres drums everywhere up there. Taking note could save your *** some time. On a good note the eastern arctic like Ellesmere island northern Baffin east coast of Baffin is pretty cool.

The start of the Pang Pass.

post-664-0-97099900-1298510796_thumb.jpg

Tanquary Fjord in Aug

post-664-0-12332400-1298511175_thumb.jpg

At times there is a Griffin or too in Eureka or Alert in the middle of summer but not for long.... Resolute would be a good spot for an SAR base. Why not with all the talks of Arctic Sonvernty lately. I say stick a helicopter and a plane up there.

I agree totally. Apparently there will be another sovereignty exercise this summer near Resolute. I think they need to do some exercises in the winter as well just so these crews no what they are getting into and how to mitigate the risk in winter, dark, whiteout conditions. Rescues in the summer aren't nearly as bad with 24 hours of daylight and good contrast. maybe we need to start rattling the cages of our MPs about the northern SAR issue...2 cents.

I agree totally. Apparently there will be another sovereignty exercise this summer near Resolute. I think they need to do some exercises in the winter as well just so these crews no what they are getting into and how to mitigate the risk in winter, dark, whiteout conditions. Rescues in the summer aren't nearly as bad with 24 hours of daylight and good contrast. maybe we need to start rattling the cages of our MPs about the northern SAR issue...2 cents.

Absolutely.

Apart from a number of good leads to have with you gun, food and fuel. The one item that saved our butts was the use of the flare pistol not just for alerting a posible search A/C. The flare pistol, even the older pencil flares will keep the polars back if you aim the flare just above grd level 3-5ft you get this rolling fire ball that will travel a fare distance to keep them back.I still always had my 12ga with slugs but thats getting to close in.

And above all else have RESPECT for the area as it can turn on you in a heart beat.

"Joke"

Bored in the Arctic?

Here is an interesting site:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/

Cheers from in front of the fireplace.

"Close Joke"

Some SAR based in the Arctic would be a very good thing. Has anyone done a study on air traffic patterns in the high North especialy comparing summer VS winter? One would,of course have to take into account what the "Mineral Rush" flavour ( Diamonds VS Oil VS Gold VS Iron ect ect) of the year is. This would have an impact on where you wanted to place SAR assets. In anycase options are limited.