Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bailey Thread

Wouldn't it be great if "we" didn't make these remarks in the first place! Professional? Hardly think so.

We want to fly under the banner of free speech, for the betterment of the industry, when often the hearsay, rumours and airing of our disagreements (which may just be partly our fault) do NOTHING towards the betterment of anyone.

Give you head(s) a shake - act like a professional and you may get treated like one.

Mods have a tough job, but if we never give them anything to moderate, they will soon be out of a job.

That post Skids Up hit the nail on the head.

Imagine one of our customers like eg forestry, gov't corporations, coming on this forum and reading some of the ignorant comments. We are supposed to be "professional", engineers, pilots and managers, perhaps it is time everyone started acting like one. We want higher wages, more respect and working conditions, we look like a bunch of idiots sometimes on this site, it makes it difficult to have credibility.

As for the ones that aren't associated in the helicopter industry, I am suggesting that you come as a guest and not add fuel to some of the threads that go sideways. If you don't have an intelligent question or comment then try and refrain from sewering a thread.

There isn't a pilot or engineer in this industry that hasn't f*****d up at one time or another, (I haven't met one in over 35 years in the industry). The day of instant video can be transmitted all over the world instantly, so we can all be judged immediately. As for the "occasional" AME that comes on here to judge pilots making mistakes, it would be highly unlikely that you would be caught on video not tightening a B nut, or not tightening a Jesus nut.

This forum could be used for exchange of information to promote safety, unite the industry in common concerns. Personal attacks on pilots, engineer, managers and even companies should be grounds for a permanent ban. I personally have a hard time sometimes not attacking an individual at times when I read some of the posts, but I try really hard for the benefit of trying to resurrect this forum.

Just my 2 cents

I wish I had been able to read some negative comments about a company that I had previously worked for, could have saved myself the grief.

I also bailed on another company, because of the poor management and treatment of personnel. Those people who stayed, boasting about hunkering down for the looming recession went down with that sinking ship. Maybe if somebody had put the writing on the wall for them, they would have been better off. Someone's opinion is exactly that, an opinion. You might be able to find some truth in it though....

the Duke

• Like 1

That post Skids Up hit the nail on the head.

Imagine one of our customers like eg forestry, gov't corporations, coming on this forum and reading some of the ignorant comments......

I know you mean well with your post, but it's posts like that poke the hornets nest so to speak.

I know you mean well with your post, but it's posts like that poke the hornets nest so to speak.

"poke the hornets nest"? I'm not sure what you are referrimg to.

Do you really think that the major customers, TC, govt agencies etc., aren't already here???

I won't respond to that comment SS, it will serve as an example not to launch personal attacks.

But thanks for reading the post......

In reality, we should not need to argue as to whether this is a public soap-box or not, or who should control what we say about each other, because some personal decorum and politeness should prevent each of us from making comments that would be considered "flaming", libelous or offensive. We should be own own Police. Is some basic courtesy and civility too much to ask?

Unfortunately, history seems to indicate that it is. The reality is that people are notoriously poor at self-regulating; it's almost an oxymoron. The practical response to this is, unfortunately, rules and moderators.

This is a private site, and the owner(s) of the site have the right to run it any which way they choose to. I have no problem with that, and this is an internet issue, not a Vertical issue. It happens all the time. If you want to run a website a certain way, you are free to make your own site, and run it that way. It's not expensive as there's plenty of free options out there.

That being said, I do have an issue with the "you can't say anything negative about a person/company" policy. Frankly, we shouldn't be saying anything about anybody, positive or negative. Both can be equally misleading. Positive comments about a person who in reality is a prick, isn't any more constructive (or less misleading) than negative comments about a great person. It's Vertical's right to shape it's policy this way, but i disagree with it. I think that negative AND positive opinions of people/companies should not be allowed. At least not openly. Leave it to PMs. Word of mouth will do the rest, and the truth will show itself.

While this site is in fact privately owned and operated, it lives in the public domain. As far as I know, there are no membership rules, i.e. it is not limited to people with particular religious, political or other views of the world.

To me that implies that it is a public instrument of free speech and not subject to editing by management. We should be assured that the posts are not doctored to create any particular bias except that created by the posters themselves.

Having said that, I still agree with removing posts that are hateful, libellous or personally attack those who cannot defend themselves here. And I would now add that persistent offenders in these areas should be permanently removed as well.

Logically I agree with the concept of banning positive comments as well as negative but that is probably asking far too much of human nature.

Imagine one of our customers like eg forestry, gov't corporations, coming on this forum and reading some of the ignorant comments. We are supposed to be "professional", engineers, pilots and managers, perhaps it is time everyone started acting like one. We want higher wages, more respect and working conditions, we look like a bunch of idiots sometimes on this site, it makes it difficult to have credibility.

This forum could be used for exchange of information to promote safety, unite the industry in common concerns. Personal attacks on pilots, engineer, managers and even companies should be grounds for a permanent ban. I personally have a hard time sometimes not attacking an individual at times when I read some of the posts, but I try really hard for the benefit of trying to resurrect this forum.

Couldn't agree more but human nature seems to mitigate against moving towards a higher standard. We have what we have, warts and all.

I wish I had been able to read some negative comments about a company that I had previously worked for, could have saved myself the grief.

Here's a great example of why these threads fail so frequently. Really great to read some negative comments but how do you know they are correct? They could easily be uninformed, third-hand opinion, rumour or deliberate sour grapes. I think this is the very problem that got the previous thread cancelled.

Best to stick to the facts, boring as that may be.

Great example of an inflammatory remark being dealt with properly. It is possible if we remember restraint, respect and thoughtfulness.

Cheers . . . .

Here's a great example of why these threads fail so frequently. Really great to read some negative comments but how do you know they are correct? They could easily be uninformed, third-hand opinion, rumour or deliberate sour grapes. I think this is the very problem that got the previous thread cancelled.

Having been to an operator of ill-repute, witnessed it, left it and found out after the fact the abundance of people with the same opinion and view... I could have avoid that situation all together. There is some truth in a lot of negative comments, so they have value. After reading these threads, I have come up with a short list of operators that will never see my resume. For that I am thankful to VM and all the "negative" posters. I am happily employed.

the Duke

Do you really think that the major customers, TC, govt agencies etc., aren't already here???

I only quoted the opening line to his whole post so that it didn't take up the whole page repeating itself, I didn't intend to give the impression that was all I was referring to. I used the "..." to indicate the quoted text continued on.

Further thru his post he takes little pot shots at others that are mini reflections of the big picture he claims is ruining the site. He was poking the nest.

Seriously....people need to HTFU. It's just the internet.

How many more threads are required..."Why can't everyone be professional and polite?". Boo-frickity-hoo. Why? Because it's the internet. Grow a pair and deal with it.

You Sallys keep getting so butt-hurt over the dumbest little things. Is this how you go through real life? Be a man for chrissake....

Suck it up, Princesses.

Gahd.......

Bring on the neg rep onslaught.