Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bailey Thread

I think the role of the moderator should be to remove any hateful, insulting or slanderous remarks...

Wouldn't it be great if "we" didn't make these remarks in the first place! Professional? Hardly think so.

We want to fly under the banner of free speech, for the betterment of the industry, when often the hearsay, rumours and airing of our disagreements (which may just be partly our fault) do NOTHING towards the betterment of anyone.

Give you head(s) a shake - act like a professional and you may get treated like one.

Mods have a tough job, but if we never give them anything to moderate, they will soon be out of a job.

• Like 1

To the Mods and VerticalMag.

I'm sick of reading the usual trash by the usual few, and then later read them complain about their trash being thrown-out. Opinions are useful, trash is not, that's the difference.

I suspect that this site would greatly improve it's readership and quality of posts if the few regular trouble-makers around here were permanently banned.

These guys are well-known to you moderators as they have been through several temporary bans before but keep reappearing with a different name......(only the rude attitude remains the same).

Their radical outbursts and abrasive tone drive a lot of readers away, and force topics to be censored and/or closed.

The Bailey topic and recent EC130 diatribe were fine examples of this.

We all have opinions about different facets (and people) in this industry, but these pot-stirrers seem to have trouble expressing their views without offending someone.

Having an opinion is natural, and the ability to express that opinion is important in any democratic society. But it is a privilege, not a right, on a site such as this.

In reality, we should not need to argue as to whether this is a public soap-box or not, or who should control what we say about each other, because some personal decorum and politeness should prevent each of us from making comments that would be considered "flaming", libelous or offensive. We should be own own Police. Is some basic courtesy and civility too much to ask?

If members of this site can't behave in a respectable and reasonable manner, ban them permanently.

Maybe then we would see brothers in our industry coming (returning??) here to share information rather than just to watch the latest controversy unfold.

VerticalMike, you asked a lot of questions on the EC130 thread about what went so awry in its 13 pages. You don't need to ask us. You know why things go sideways around here. You have a set of Rules for this site. Please enforce them........permanently.

• Like 1

I think this whole issue could be resolved if those that wish to slander any individual or company by using either their name or initials, should have to use their real name and contact information. Maybe then the mods will leave the post up. I know in the days before Internet if you had something to say you said it. Your face was out in public and you suffered the consequence of what your mouth gets you into.

Some people on here would have a different attitude if it were their name being slandered. Just because you didn’t type some one’s name in does not give anyone the right to slander them without knowing the real name of who is doing the slandering.

. I think most of the times threads are shut down or deleted because the people left posting on them are proving to us all, and to paraphrase Mark Twain, "its one thing to have people think your a moron, its another to make posts that eliminate all doubt." I know I have use that one in the past but it is apt.

It wasn't Mark Twain....

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/English_proverbs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
  • Variant: Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. (often attributed to Abraham Lincoln but taken from Solomon's Proverbs)

• Like 1

To the Mods and VerticalMag.

I'm sick of reading the usual trash by the usual few, and then later read them complain about their trash being thrown-out. Opinions are useful, trash is not, that's the difference.

I suspect that this site would greatly improve it's readership and quality of posts if the few regular trouble-makers around here were permanently banned.

These guys are well-known to you moderators as they have been through several temporary bans before but keep reappearing with a different name......(only the rude attitude remains the same).

Their radical outbursts and abrasive tone drive a lot of readers away, and force topics to be censored and/or closed.

The Bailey topic and recent EC130 diatribe were fine examples of this.

We all have opinions about different facets (and people) in this industry, but these pot-stirrers seem to have trouble expressing their views without offending someone.

Having an opinion is natural, and the ability to express that opinion is important in any democratic society. But it is a privilege, not a right, on a site such as this.

In reality, we should not need to argue as to whether this is a public soap-box or not, or who should control what we say about each other, because some personal decorum and politeness should prevent each of us from making comments that would be considered "flaming", libelous or offensive. We should be own own Police. Is some basic courtesy and civility too much to ask?

If members of this site can't behave in a respectable and reasonable manner, ban them permanently.

Maybe then we would see brothers in our industry coming (returning??) here to share information rather than just to watch the latest controversy unfold.

VerticalMike, you asked a lot of questions on the EC130 thread about what went so awry in its 13 pages. You don't need to ask us. You know why things go sideways around here. You have a set of Rules for this site. Please enforce them........permanently.

Well Overtalk, unlike you I believe that you are entitled to your opinion! You on the otherhand with statements about self policing and removing people permanently for voicing an opinion stand along side of some other dubious caharacters in history that felt same.

Just my opinion!

P5

post-6107-0-49284700-1303217193_thumb.jpg

stalin.bmp

• Like 3

My biggest complaint on the removal of the thread....I supported DP, and like the guy for his accomplishments and his mentoring of me early on in my career...my post of support was removed. How does that fit into everyones opinion ??? In that context, the mods failed miserably.

• Like 1

To be honest I think one should look at the positive and negative results of why you come to this site. If you arrive here to look only for information sourcing and networking then you will not enjoy this site most days. But, if you view it as entertainment then you may find it boring most days. There are other sites out there, and some where all personalities are known and the flaming and negative comments are there and what happens is not at all enjoyable, and many cliques are formed. What internet forums provide is a place where sometimes there is no hierarchy(sp?) which is refreshing to me, a place where you may find a persons opinion with little to no expereince giving incite into an old problem. You will find constantancy though, there will be the conspiracy theorists, the whiners and the preachers,,,,yea I know,,,shutup. Anyhow, I find it somewhat less inspiring when people put up ultimatums whether they are going to stay or go(or worse they do leave) rather than put up or shut up. I enjoy this place more days than not and am sure the people around me find the days I don't enjoy it somewhat entertaining with the arm waving, flapping and honking. Have fun, summer is coming!

• Like 1

This is a private site, and the owner(s) of the site have the right to run it any which way they choose to. I have no problem with that, and this is an internet issue, not a Vertical issue. It happens all the time. If you want to run a website a certain way, you are free to make your own site, and run it that way. It's not expensive as there's plenty of free options out there.

That being said, I do have an issue with the "you can't say anything negative about a person/company" policy. Frankly, we shouldn't be saying anything about anybody, positive or negative. Both can be equally misleading. Positive comments about a person who in reality is a prick, isn't any more constructive (or less misleading) than negative comments about a great person. It's Vertical's right to shape it's policy this way, but i disagree with it. I think that negative AND positive opinions of people/companies should not be allowed. At least not openly. Leave it to PMs. Word of mouth will do the rest, and the truth will show itself.

Well Overtalk, unlike you I believe that you are entitled to your opinion! You on the otherhand with statements about self policing and removing people permanently for voicing an opinion stand along side of some other dubious caharacters in history that felt same.

Just my opinion!

P5

The difference between Hitler/Stalin and the internet, is that the internet allows (even welcomes) you to create your own forum (in whatever form it may be) to express your opinion. The line is drawn however, when some personalities wish to take over, perhaps even 'invade' (to continue with the historical analogy) another's domain and tell them how things should be done. Oh yeah, and the internet also dosen't put a bullet in the back of your head if you disagree, unless you consider being banned from an internet forum (or de-friended on Facebook, or have your texts go ignored, etc) to be the modern day equivalent of a bullet in the back of the head.