Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Crews & Guns

Rosco

Does anyone still "pack" in their kit?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No argument - if you're heading into big bear country and can't pack large, go for the .44 Mag, but the 12-gauge with slugs and 00 buckshot is much to be preferred. Not that there's anything wrong with larger calibre rifles in this role, just that they're less flexible (e.g. birdshot).

Arctic_front, there's a school of opinion that a few Kodiaks have been found larger than 'our' bear. Personally, I think the point is moot - they're ALL worthy of 100% of MY respect, and will always have it. B)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never leave home without it... company issue is the .40 calibre (10 mm) sig sauer... mag holds 12 with one up the snout (2 extra mags on your belt)... shell is one ugly looking copper-jacketed hollowpoint...

don't think i'd want to take on a polar bear with it though :( ... we got enough problems down south with azzholes defending their foggin' grows!! :angry:

There are many weapons that could work, but the problem is that not all of them work for everybody. If there is any airline travel involved, going or coming to/from the a/c, then you got enough problems now at airports without introducing a handgun to them in these times. They are much more accepting of a rifle or shotgun packed properly. The .44 magnum revolver or automatic is fine, but there's too many inherent problems as stated before here. To those who don't have to worry about airline travel in that regard, then they can take what they wish. ****, they got some real powerful cross-bows on the market these days also, that are nothing to be fooled with either, so I guy could consider them too.

My ideal weapon to get the attention of any human being or animal?.........the .12 Ga. pump-action. short barrel and loaded with SSG. I don't need to be Wyatt Earp either on accuracy....just point the "mother" in the genral direction.