Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Crews & Guns

Rosco

Does anyone still "pack" in their kit?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Time to inject a little humour. While running my Base years ago, I had a company "Pool" 205 come in to do some work for me for 2-3 days. Along with the a/c came an engineer who carried TWO .44 magnums in his attache case....both with the long barrels. I didn't know anything about these guns and one day while I'm sitting in my office on the phone, he decides that he'll wander part way to the big open hangar door and fire both of them. The hangar was metal with sprayed-on insulation on the inside. That insulation had been done many years before. He fires these guns, both at the same time and it was like someone jammed you in a galvanized garbage can and threw in two sticks of dynamite before putting the lid back on. I stumbled out into the hangar, wondering "what in the ****" and the dust from the insulation was something else. Standing in th dust I could spot the outline of a person with two "elephant guns" and an engineer coming towards him with the biggest crescent wrench you ever saw. Needless to say, when the day was done, said engineer knew never to fire guns inside a metal hangar if he wished to live a long life. If 407 Driver reads this, he will have a very, very good idea as to who the engineer was with the "cannons". :down:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started with Mr. 12 after seeing a Griz on the snow east of Tuk in March. Have carried something since depending on the trip, since help could be hours away even if you get out on a radio. Just way too much curiosity in some of those critters when sitting and waiting for the customers. Figure it's boy-scout insurance.

If working in remote locations I think its a good idea. Never used it yet but Ive picked up more than a few crew, who have. Also meet many people who never carry, but most of them have "seen the bright light" on occasion. What I do is take it if I'm going out for a tour, and leave it if I'm going for the day or two and back to base.

Up untill reciently I carried a 41mag Redhawk, a 357 or 9mm wouldn't do much unless you were lucky. Long guns tend to be set down and not at hand when needed. Next time it will be the Ruger "Super Redhawk" Alaskan a .454 Casull. Short, stainless and always handy

post-33-1151531494_thumb.jpeg

They are the largest bear on earth, females weigh 650-800lbs; males weigh anywhere from 800-1,700lbs and can grow taller than a 1 story building. The only predator that they have on this continent is Man and a locked door will not stop them if they come "calling". There is also a fallacy out there that you have to be into the Islands or barren lands to see a Polar bear......WRONG!. I was part of an effort in 1970 to identify why it was that Polar bears came into Churchill from the South on the vast majority of occasions. It was felt that they should be venturing in from the North. We discovered what hadn't been known before......the largest breeding ground in the world is just south of Ft. Severn on the eastern Hudson's Bay/ James Bay coast.......and that's well below "tree line". It's never been unusual to see them well below "tree line" in other areas of Manitoba either, so it depends on where one means when one says " they are only up North".

On the subject of bears, how does one tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly?

When you see a bear you run like **** and climb the nearest tree.

If it's a black bear it will climb the tree after you.

If it's a grizzly it will just knock it over.

:shock: :shock:

On the subject of bears, how does one tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly?

You can also tell from their scat:

A black bear's scat will be smaller and have berries and grass and leaves 'n such. A Grizzly's scat will be larger and have those little bells backpackers wear on their packs and clothes to "warn" them. Commonly referred to as "dinner bells" :D