Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Personal Flight Kit

Had the"Pleasure" of actually needing to open the Aircraft Survival Kit a few weeks ago on the West Coast. Was able to stay semi comfortable with a huge fire and 5 passengers. I've taken a few notes on what I would really want!!! I've compared a few notes with a seasoned coworker he had a amazing saw "Silky Big Boy" and one of those SOS emergency sleeping bags. Situation would have been drastically different if we had nothing to burn.

Personally I have a sturdy knife and lighter, and the "Find me Spot" that i never leave base with out.

Just tossing out a topic as to what the rest of Canada's Bush pilots personally pack for daily missions according to region.

I second the Silky Saws. Silky Katana Boy combined with a good crash axe and you can get a lot of work done.

Oh I've also included a super lightweight hammock setup which is pretty **** amazing!

https://hummingbirdhammocks.com/shop/single-plus/

Packs down to about the size of a coffee mug. Then I grabbed a pair of climbing carabiners to replace the finnicky loops that came with it (for speedy setup and tear down)

I recently assembled my survival/unexpected overnight kit for the helicopter. I'm flying a Bell 212 or 412, so I have lots of storage room to put it. If I was flying a Jetbox, I would probably build it a lot lighter and smaller. The bag itself is a completely waterproof drybag, so there is no worries about anything getting wet. I have a large reusable silica gel canister inside that will keep the moisture level where it needs to be, as well as a bunch of small silica bags (like the one you find in new shoes) scattered through all the individual bags inside.

Here is what I have in it:

-Survival Kit Contents-

Bag (1795g)

Outside of Bag (1893g)

1 Lightweight Carabiner (22g)

1 Trauma Kit w/ Tourniquet (443g)

1 Gerber LMF2 knife (523g)

38 Zip Ties (73g)

1 Set Arc'teryx Rain Gear (832g)

Medical Pouch (645g)

1 General First Aid Kit

1 Extra Tourniquet

1 Pelican 1010 Case

32 Ibuprofen 400mg

30 Aspirin 81mg

12 Anti-Diarrhea Pills

12 Laxative Pills

Main Compartment (2038g)

1 Sleeping Bag (1150g)

1 Folding Shovel (836g)

1 Silica Gel Canister (52g)

Yellow Small Pouch (825g)

1 500 Lumen Flashlight w/ Batteries

4 Extra AA Batteries

4 12-Hour Yellow Chem Lights

1 Small Wind-Up Flashlight

3 Bic Lighters

1 Container Waterproof Matches

1 36-Hour Candle

1 Fire Starting Striker

1 Fire Tinder Stick

1 Space Pen

1 Black Sharpie

1 Waterproof Writing Notebook

Black Medium Pouch (1075g)

1 Microfiber Bath Towel

1 Dry Bag (12L)

1 Hair Comb

1 Toothbrush

1 Tube Toothpaste

1 Bar Deodorant

1 Stick Lip Balm

1 60ml Hand Sanitizer

1 30ml Liquid Hand Soap

1 Roll Toilet Paper

1 Inflatable Pillow

1 Hammock w/ 2 Carabiners

1 Mora Knife

30' Paracord

Red Small Pouch (400g)

1 Pair Socks

1 T-Shirt

1 Pair Underwear

Black Small Pouch (337g)

1 SAM Splint

1 Pulse Oximeter

1 Pair Mechanix Gloves

Black Small Pouch (901g)

1 Star Map

1 SAS Survival Guide

1 Roll Orange Flag Tape

1 Roll Electrical Tape

1 Gerber Multi-Tool

1 Whistle

1 Signal Mirror

1 Compass

1 Bug Hat

Black Small Pouch (467g)

1 6'x8' Tarp

6 Tent Pegs

60' Paracord

Black Medium Pouch (2745g)

12 125ml Water Pouches (1.5L)

10 400cal Energy Bars (4000cal)

6 Rehydration Salt Packs

1 Water Filter w/ Accessories

Total Weight - 13,132g / 28.927 lb

j7IdlXo.jpg

wkfuC8h.jpg

• Like 3

I recently assembled my survival/unexpected overnight kit for the helicopter. I'm flying a Bell 212 or 412, so I have lots of storage room to put it. If I was flying a Jetbox, I would probably build it a lot lighter and smaller. The bag itself is a completely waterproof drybag, so there is no worries about anything getting wet. I have a large reusable silica gel canister inside that will keep the moisture level where it needs to be, as well as a bunch of small silica bags (like the one you find in new shoes) scattered through all the individual bags inside.

How do you like your ENO hammock? Do you use tree straps, or just paracord?

How do you like your ENO hammock? Do you use tree straps, or just paracord?

Haven't really used it yet. Just got the hammock a few weeks ago. I figure I will just use a couple loops of paracrod instead of lugging around tree straps. It will get used for regular camping as well, and in that case I will lug around tree straps if I am car camping.

Best part is that the hammock fits between the grab handles on the ceiling of a 212/412/205. No more lying on the ground for me while waiting for customers.