Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Phoenix Heli-Flight Pilot Ad

We had a excellent young Canadian 100 hr pilot who took a leave of absence to compete in the Sochi Olympics. He received a job offer and interviewed with Phoenix....landed the job, now he's been endorsed and PPC'd on the 120 and last i heard is actually flying....he is in an environment that should provide him with a long, safe career with an excellent company....near as i can figure.

Not many companies getting young Canadian pilots in the seat these days ...so thanks to Darrell and Phoenix.

Who knows....maybe the kid will work his way up to a 135 Captain with NVG experience etc.one day!!

Geoff Reed

Yellowhead Helicopters

• Like 4

As a former employee of Phoenix, I can say that although not every day up there is filled with rainbows and cinnamon, the claims that they are taking advantage of the TFW program, or skimping on training, are quite possibly the most ridiculous things I have ever heard on this forum.

• Like 1

Guest plumber

I have to say the only time you hear from the super high time guys about unfairness is when their toes are being stepped on. I'd love to see an influx of Skycrane Aussies come in at par with a Walmart greeter's wage and see how wonderfull this industry is. Oh well I can tell you one thing I would work for Pheonix in a heart beat. If they changed their rotation they would never have to look on this crap site again for pilots!

I have to laugh. I saw a reprint of this ad elsewhere and applied before even seeing this thread. Yes, I lack the 135 time (but nothing else), and am a Canadian too. I fail to see what got Gilles so riled up. I too can go off half-cocked: Ask all the questions you want but don't try to make our industry like yours!!

I thought the rotation was perfect, not sure why guys are complaining. I'd love 3/3. Complaints about wages, I don't see anything in the ad?? Is it just an assumption or does everybody on here have inside knowledge??? As far as being necessary, they clearly look like the mins for an instructional role, so they should be tough to meet.

BTW: his reply to me was just fine, I have no issues with him or his operation. Perhaps the new norm will be to blindly attack any ad you don't meet the requirements for.

edited to add: yes, I have seized wing time too.

Edited by Swamp76

I have to say the only time you hear from the super high time guys about unfairness is when their toes are being stepped on. I'd love to see an influx of Skycrane Aussies come in at par with a Walmart greeter's wage and see how wonderfull this industry is!

Ahem....first of all, the prerequisite for crane, is one has no toes...secondly, what makes you think we don't have Walmart wages already...???!?!?!

Gentlemen,

The Phoenix application is not an abuse of the TFW program. Nor does it really have anything to do with the TFW program IMHO. They are not looking for a guy with 3000 hours to fly in Northern AB. They are not avoiding giving an A-Star endorsement to fight fire for the summer.

They are looking to develop their own NVG program. They are looking to develop their own EC 135 program. This takes a specialized type of guy. Without knowing everything I am willing to lay a good amount of real money, betting these guys with the requested qualifications (and in my opinion NECESSARY), are not exactly sitting around wondering what to do with themselves if a NVG job does not show up.

I believe they already sent a couple guys down to Lousiana to get certified. And since it has only been about a year, odds are they are not quite ready to tell people how to use the things, much less put them on. Would you want a guy with 50 hours on type giving out itnitial endorsements?

Why would you go to Eurocopter when you can bring in your own man on staff to teach everybody you need on an on-going basis. How may ex-RCMP are out there that are current on NVG? Most of the STARS captains are pretty happy where they are I would bet.

Having had to wait for an Aussie to leave to get my break (good guy by the way, and excellent driver), having had to convince a customer to let me fly them around for 2 summers, having had to fly innumerable flights lease to leasein a 44 because the perfectly qualified pilot sitting beside me was 20 years old and only had 500 hours (and I've replaced 1500 hour drivers too!)...I think this one is for real.....if you want to actually take the time to put some thought into it. And if you are really serious about finding guys that are taking advantage of the TFW take a drive up there, and walk into their hangar and ask. If you do, you will find a lady who has hopefully gained enough 120 time to fly in the oilsands by now. Or the guy that has been with the company for over 10 years now from almost the ground up. You might just find an example of a company who has put his fair share of guys through, in a very high hour demanding environment, instead.

In the end, do your research. The guys who are abusing the TFW are.

• Like 1