Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helmet Baseball Style Sun Visor Mod

I find that when flying directly into the sun at the very early hours or twilight hours, the glare of the sun is unbearable. Even with darkly tinted visors, the experience is fatiguing and also makes reading the gauges and GPS challenging at times due to the reduced contrast.

I decided to mod my helmet, MSA Gallet LH250 in my case, with an aftermarket sun visor and thought it would be helpful for other pilots to share the info.

Tools required:

Parts required:

Installation:

1. Remove Allen screws from visor adjustment temple knobs. (Picture 01)
  2. Pry gently both temple knobs away from the helmet and swing up the outer visor guard it should then be able to lift up out of the helmet. (Picture 03)
  3. Mark the location of the 3 snap fasteners along the bottom edge of the guard.
  4. Support the visor guard with scrap wood on the drill press and drill the 3 holes.(Pictures 04 & 05)
  5. Drill the 3 holes. Pictures (Pictures 06 to 09).
  6. Attach snap fasteners with hardware. (Pictures 10 to 13)
  7. Reattach outer visor guard on the helmet. Attach the rear part with two pins first (picture 03) then swing the guard down whilst pulling temple knobs out slightly. Once the temple knobs are in the temple holes, you will need to rotate the knobs slowly until they "click" into place. Then reattach the temple knobs screws using the 2.5mm Allen wrench

Sun visor can now be easily installed on the helmet. Pictures 14-15

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg