Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Time Building.

5 hours ago, freck said:

You tell me in an interview how you got those first 500 hrs and I will know immediately that I will still be cleaning the hangar toilet because you're too busy tik tocking and eating Tide pods.

The tick tok problem you speak of is not only in the aviation world.

If you are an owner having someone to clean the bathroom is way less stressful than parking a operational aircraft because you don't have the crew to keep them in the air.

At least this person is trying to make themselves more attractive to the owners who can afford a cleaning service. 

Have a good day Freck.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

The tick tok problem you speak of is not only in the aviation world.

If you are an owner having someone to clean the bathroom is way less stressful than parking a operational aircraft because you don't have the crew to keep them in the air.

At least this person is trying to make themselves more attractive to the owners who can afford a cleaning service. 

Have a good day Freck.

You must be on some pretty strong Tide pods to think we are hiring a cleaning service even the owner helps out with that one. Maybe you should have gone airline.

It's been really entertaining to watch the more 'seasoned' people in this industry have to rewire their brains because they can't mistreat newcomers like they were mistreated in the past.

That aside, it really depends on where you work once you build that time.  The more sensible places will keep you on a short leash because of said lack of operational experience and you will be expected to pick up the slack on ground related tasks.  Other places are more sink or swim and just see the potential revenue then send you to work.  I would lean towards the former, it would be a shame to spend all that money time building and then have a scary experience that turns you off of flying altogether.   I was fortunate to start relatively young so I had the 'time to build time', If I started later on and I could afford it I would definitely consider your idea.

• Like 3

I know 2 people that started with 150 hrs. In 4 years i doubt they flew more than 600 Hours. Yet after 4 years they had over 1,500 in the log book. Of course that was for the new companies they moved on to and it was never questioned.No they didn't not get the Chief pilot to sign the log book no one seemed to care they just needed meat in the seat with more then 1,000 hours in the log book.

• 206_Fan changed the title to Helicopter Time Building.
19 hours ago, freck said:

You must be on some pretty strong Tide pods to think we are hiring a cleaning service even the owner helps out with that one. Maybe you should have gone airline.

Well there you go.... it is very cool you have a boss that will do what he asks his employees to do.

Have a great day Freck

2 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

Well there you go.... it is very cool you have a boss that will do what he asks his employees to do.

Have a great day Freck

Hey man just giving my opinion on what I’d look for in a hire. A guy/girl who bought his way over a guy/girl who put their time in on the ground learning the ins and outs?!? I’d pick the latter. My opinion could care less what anyone else thinks. You have a great day as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, freck said:

Hey man just giving my opinion on what I’d look for in a hire. A guy/girl who bought his way over a guy/girl who put their time in on the ground learning the ins and outs?!? I’d pick the latter. My opinion could care less what anyone else thinks. You have a great day as well.

well for sure 

after a year or so on the ground said employee would have operational experience outside of flying and ect, being on ground for sling,spray, fueling, ect its all valuable knowledge. 

get to 500 hours of pleasure flying you havent learnt much in the way of anything else other 

• Like 2

Basically the extra years on the ground aren't really required in a practical sense (how long does it take to learn janitorial skills and how to fuel outa a drum?) The REAL necessity is to psychologically and financially ruin each candidate while keeping them desperate and "pot committed" to this career. Then if they wash out, management can pat themselves on the back cause they weeded out a quiter.

The last thing anyone wants to see in a new hire is the intelligence or, God forbid, the resources to choose a different route than the 100hr slave program that's worked so well for generations past!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, UggaDugga said:

Basically the extra years on the ground aren't really required in a practical sense (how long does it take to learn janitorial skills and how to fuel outa a drum?) The REAL necessity is to psychologically and financially ruin each candidate while keeping them desperate and "pot committed" to this career. Then if they wash out, management can pat themselves on the back cause they weeded out a quiter.

The last thing anyone wants to see in a new hire is the intelligence or, God forbid, the resources to choose a different route than the 100hr slave program that's worked so well for generations past!

This!  Scrubbing toilets is not the only way to get going. And yes, there are are a lot of tired old fellas that think it is. Don't listen to them, they're the same ones who can't work an iPad or digital radio on a fire when they need to.

My only two bits would be, if you can afford a part share in a machine, make sure it has a hook and buy yourself a long line. Don't spend your time flying friends around. If you get yourself some hours, develop good airmanship along the way, and can put a longline hook in a tire you'll be ahead of most.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, ridgeline said:

This!  Scrubbing toilets is not the only way to get going. And yes, there are are a lot of tired old fellas that think it is. Don't listen to them, they're the same ones who can't work an iPad or digital radio on a fire when they need to.

My only two bits would be, if you can afford a part share in a machine, make sure it has a hook and buy yourself a long line. Don't spend your time flying friends around. If you get yourself some hours, develop good airmanship along the way, and can put a longline hook in a tire you'll be ahead of most.

Yeah, no you guys are right. God forbid you do it the old fashion way by seeing a guys character and work ethic. Also correct in not being able to hook up a fuel trailer and set up staging. Absolutely no value in any of the ground stuff. Here's the keys.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3