Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Favourite Ppc Question

Winnie

deltacharlie: I think you are misunderstanding the point of the "WARNING" in the book here, the statement you are quoting, is with regards to using the throttle to keep the Rotor RPM in a certain area, which is not allowed other than for real or practived emergencies, like tail rotor control failures.

In the case stated above, you are rolling the throttle to idle, entering an auto, then rejoining the needles again.

Cheers

H.

I can assure there is no misunderstanding here and this is not a grey area. No where in a public forum that is full of low time pilots should the abitrary rolling off of throttle be promoted.

There is not one non emergency scenario where it is OK to roll the throttle off except for training. If you forgot to turn your generator on, turn some non essentials off if you're worried about an excessive load and turn the generator on.

Or if you're worried about shearing the shaft because the guy that last installed it might have let the weight of the generator on the shaft itself before securing it, then do what Rob suggested and land to roll it off. Don't do it in the air!

DC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not leave engine at 100% reduce collective to reduce n1 speed and flip the switch on I havent flown a Jet ranger for a bit if I remember at flat pitch the N1 speed would around 80%. Reset and turn it on thats the way I would go leave that damm throttle wide open.

So with this whole generator dilema we got going on here my question is according to the power check procedure in a jetranger the generaor is to be turned OFF, bell never refers to whats next when the procedure is complete. Generator on or off?? what do you guys do??

I never shut the generator off for a powercheck , and the odd time i have fogot it off, i simply switch it on with out doing something like rolling the throttle off!

I used to diligently follow the FM and turn the gen off for power checks. Then I was out one day with a salty old engineer, who knew a **** of alot more about the machine than I, and when I was reaching to turn the gen off for the power check, he slapped my hand and said "what the **** are you doing?". I told him, and he said to forget it, leave it on, makes no difference. Well, since then, I've just left it on.

I used to diligently follow the FM and turn the gen off for power checks. Then I was out one day with a salty old engineer, who knew a **** of alot more about the machine than I, and when I was reaching to turn the gen off for the power check, he slapped my hand and said "what the **** are you doing?". I told him, and he said to forget it, leave it on, makes no difference. Well, since then, I've just left it on.

What would the point be in turning the geny off for doing a power check anyways...do you fly around with the gen off :rolleyes:

exactly, If having the generator on was the deal breaker on a powercheck i always figured there would have to something more to deal with ...