Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Immigrating To Canada

lamadriver1948

I spent my high school years in Quebec, my mother was Canadian and I really enjoyed my years there and began flying and fixing airplanes there. I currently live in Alaska and work as an AME (A&P) with an Inspection Authorization. I also hold FAA ATP airplane, CPL helicopter and CFII. Specialized in long-line work for 20 years.

I'm getting tired of all the violence in the States and of how the government is begining to take away individual privacy rights. I would like to immigrate back to Canada. Anyone have any insight into what would be needed to convert my A&P and CPL helo to Canadian licenses? I would greatly appreciate any information you might have.

Regards,

Eric

I spent my high school years in Quebec, my mother was Canadian and I really enjoyed my years there and began flying and fixing airplanes there. I currently live in Alaska and work as an AME (A&P) with an Inspection Authorization. I also hold FAA ATP airplane, CPL helicopter and CFII. Specialized in long-line work for 20 years.

I'm getting tired of all the violence in the States and of how the government is begining to take away individual privacy rights. I would like to immigrate back to Canada. Anyone have any insight into what would be needed to convert my A&P and CPL helo to Canadian licenses? I would greatly appreciate any information you might have.

Regards,

Eric

Eric: Welcome aboard, try http://www.tc.gc.ca/ and I think you will find all the info with Telephone Numbers. Get it from the horses mouth.

Cheers, Don

PS: You will be hearing from TQN who is reffered to as the "MotherBoard" of this site.

Here is some of the AME license requirements

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/.../403.htm#403_03

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/...ndards/566s.htm

If you check the second link to CAR566.07(1) it states that if you recieved your A&P and IA before 1 January 1990 you should be able to just write the CARs exam and get your license. I would check with Transport Canada to verify if they will exept your past experiance towards your licensing time.

:huh:Motherboard? Motherbroad? *pinch* :rolleyes:

Welcome to Verticalmag.com, LD48! Gee. What can I possibly say to someone wishing to leave my beloved America to go to my cherished Canada? Except that, during this screwy Presidential election year, I may not be far behind you. :PDid I think that out loud? :shock: :lol:

Hey, good luck in your endeavors! ;)

lamadriver1948 -------best of luck in your efforts. You mention 'violence' Stateside and I understand your wishes, BUT take a little advice concerning THIS side of the border............pick and choose your cities carefully and be informed before you do..

I mention the above because I live on the immediate outskirts of 'Murder Capital - Canada'. So that you have a full understanding of what that means, I will help you understand. According to Statistics Canada, my city has more murders per capita (per 100,000) than East LA, Detroit, Chicago and Harlem, NY City. Even more to the point, there have been far more people murdered in my hamlet in '07 than Canadian soldiers KIA'd in Afghanistan in three years.Many of those troopers are from a Base quite near me and they are therefore safer in Kandahar than in my city. So depending on where you choose to live in Canada you may or may not escape that violence that you are tiring of........and believe you me.....I understand fully what you mean by that.

lamadriver1948 -------best of luck in your efforts. You mention 'violence' Stateside and I understand your wishes, BUT take a little advice concerning THIS side of the border............pick and choose your cities carefully and be informed before you do..

I mention the above because I live on the immediate outskirts of 'Murder Capital - Canada'. So that you have a full understanding of what that means, I will help you understand. According to Statistics Canada, my city has more murders per capita (per 100,000) than East LA, Detroit, Chicago and Harlem, NY City. Even more to the point, there have been far more people murdered in my hamlet in '07 than Canadian soldiers KIA'd in Afghanistan in three years.Many of those troopers are from a Base quite near me and they are therefore safer in Kandahar than in my city. So depending on where you choose to live in Canada you may or may not escape that violence that you are tiring of........and believe you me.....I understand fully what you mean by that.

Sorry Cap, but "winterpeg" is only #2.....Vancouver wins

Guns a big-city problem

Gun-related violent crime primarily remains a big-city problem.

"Vancouver had the highest rate among all census metropolitan areas (CMAs), followed by Winnipeg and Toronto. Among youth, however, the rates of violence involving firearms were highest in Toronto and Saskatoon," it said.

The rates for the three worst cities are:

Vancouver: 45.3 violent gun-related offences per 100,000 population

Winnipeg: 43.9

Toronto: 40.4

The national average is 27.5 such offences per 100,000 population.