Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Discovery Channel Fairytale

Guest BeeBee

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't the first Jetranger in Canada bought by a Montreal Radio station CJAD, thus the registration C-FJAD? It was owned by Great Slave Helicopters when I worked there in the mid nineties and that's the story I heard at that time.

JAD was s/n 18, it was retired a couple of years ago.

Jeff

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first 206 in Canada had a s/n like #4 or #5 off the Bell assembly line. I know the a/c well and it was maintained by Dominion Helicopters out of King City, Ont. for the radio station for a number of years. It was only in the country about one year and flying for the radio station, with Smitty Pruner as the pilot, when it had it's first engine failure and successful autorotation..........into a 1/2 full CANADAWIDE Ltd vehicle parking lot on the corner of Bay & Bloor Sts in downtown Toronto :shock: 'Caused quite a 'stir' and the police were quite upset until they found out the reason.

She was loaded onto a flat deck and transported back to King City where she was operational again within a 1/2 day and Smitty wasn't allowed to buy a 'drink' with his own money for about 2 months after that. :lol:

CAP - C-FIAN (Serial #32) is alive and well living in The Pas, Manitoba. I've done some flying in it the past two summers. I'd like to see all the log books as I'm sure there are quite a few historic names in them.

There were more times than you can count on two hands last summer when I stopped for fuel or was at a fire when people came over to look at the ship, tell me they had time in it, and talk about how light it was (and is). :ninja:

I guess if I'm going to continue to reach waaay back into my memory banks and quote registrations, I had better dig out some olf log books and Crew Position Reports. I was sure that it was CF-IAN that met it end off-of a wharf at Ontario Place when some 'donkey' tried to steal it. Looks like I was wrong, but one thing I do remember for sure is that CF-IAN was operated by Pegusia helicopters of Oakville, Ont in the early 70's.......because I flew her. So all the brain cells aren't dead anyway. :lol:

If she resides in The Pas, MB thse days, I'm really curious who owns or leases her now. Care to PM me that info. She has to be up in the 35,000 hr A/F area these days.

How about flying the a/c for a couple 100 hours and then make some jugment call???? If this machine had more hp then you guys would say that the baggage compartment is too small of that they should widen the back seat to make sure that no one is cramped back there....

If this thing had more hp then the BA would not be as popular then Eurocopter would lose out on the support of a different type, that's would be bad buisness.

I have a fair ammount of time in this machine in all weather conditions(no, not in the mountains). It's great i've out preformed some longrangers with this thing. I love it and I was a bell man.

If you want more power than a 120 get a A-Star. It doesn't preform as good as a Jet ranger on a mountain side but it will get you there faster and the rear passengers will be able to see out of the fron as well. And Id rather crash in a 120 then a JetRanger any day.

my two cents......

Id love to hear from other 120 pilots that have more that say more than .2 to 3 hrs on type......

Sharkbait/Over-Talk -----didn't know all that either, but thanks. 'Invisible' advised me by PM that it was indeed IAN that went-in at Ontario Place many years ago. So I gues we can now say that she's been bent well and washed well since I seen her last :lol: .

Mustache Gear ------I trust that your comments weren't directed at the likes of me because if they were, you are preaching to the converted.......and I have more than "2-3 hours" of idling time alone in Aerospatials a/c. Can't speak about the 120 because I know diddley, but some of the rest I can.....and I was convinced along about 1971. I also know whether I wish to be in an Aerospatiale product or a Bell product if I must have another autorotation before I 'hang 'em up'.