Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Discovery Channel Fairytale

Guest BeeBee

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jet A serial # 14 if I recall.post-752-1205968390_thumb.jpg

Definitely a view of the past. (I hope :))

King KX160 Nav-Comm-all those tubes to keep you warm in the winter, Bendix T12C ADF to point wherever on the ground and it looks like a Brelonix HF with a S&T Whip tuning knob above it. Standard fare in the early 70s

Brings back memories of many other simalr a/c at the time, this looks like it could be an old Klondike/Kenting a/c as the registration is KBL

GW

Jet A serial # 14 if I recall.post-752-1205968390_thumb.jpg

I thought I recognized that instrument panel, so I did a quick search... I worked on that Jetranger, serial number 138, in Grande Prairie a few years back. (2002?) It was a private machine we did maintenance for, it belonged to a guy who owned a trucking company. It looks like Merle Morrison bought it last year however.... It was a clapped out ex Canadian machine that they got a real good deal on, I don't think anyone could find any Jetbox for twice the price nowadays!

I remember doing a river run down the Wapiti while listening to CCR in that beast, and I also remember the time we almost got smited by an air ambulance King Air in it as well. While strobing out a little ways from the airport, the moon roof darkened, so I looked up and all I saw was landing gear. :shock: By the time the pilot saw it, it had already passed. (By maybe 15 feet!) The funny thing is he ducked at that point, although the King Air was well on it's way.

Funny how one photo will bring back so many memories...

Helimat

PS Gary Watson, you are correct, apparently it was a Kenting Machine 1983-1988 according to the Historical Mark Register, after that it was Okanagan, Lakeland and then Canadian. A fair amount of history!

-Well....if "another pilot" said it, it must be true.

2007- By asking I was just trying to get a few more opinions from people who fly the 120 on a regular basis, perhaps one like yourself... 5000 hour pilots have told me things others totally disagree with lately so you can see why I'm trying to find clarification.

When I think about it, it does make a bit of sense that at least in a heavy crosswind hover the greater surface area would tend to vein to wind more then a 206, so in a gusty crosswind hover it might yaw in a slightly more agressive mannor, but that really wouldn't change my mind about it at all.

Obviously EC wouldn't put out a helicopter that had a tendency to ride violently yaw in 5 knots of wind...

I'm not trying to feed the 120 vs 206 fire at all. It's not a matter of being opinionated, but more just generally being intrested in anything that flies.

Thanks for answering my last question by the way.

Cole :)

the 120 does have considerable T/R authority considering the size of the fenestron structure and the apparent small size of the fenestron itself....i believe it achieves this thru the efficiency of the system.

it can hold a heading during hover in some pretty good crosswinds, better than a jetranger can.

So....If this little EC is so great at everything, X-wind hovers better than a 206, out lifts a 206L, flys faster than a speeding bullet, Blah, blah, blah, then why has EC only placed 39 in Canada in 10 years?

That's under 4 EC120 sales per year? (Fact, there just under 500 - 206B's still registered !)

Heck, even the substandard Bell 407 has 62 aircraft on the Canadian Registry?

So....If this little EC is so great at everything, X-wind hovers better than a 206, out lifts a 206L, flys faster than a speeding bullet, Blah, blah, blah, then why has EC only placed 39 in Canada in 10 years?

That's under 4 EC120 sales per year? (Fact, there just under 500 - 206B's still registered !)

Heck, even the substandard Bell 407 has 62 aircraft on the Canadian Registry?

Two words "Product Support". Yes, there is a trend here.